Hurray my M8 has got the coffee stain issue! Advice needed

dpitt

I have been bugging my newest best friend in New Jersey via telephone almost daily now for the past week and she suggested I call her again Monday afternoon. I was really tempted to call her yesterday afternoon after the DHL tracking number she gave me indicated that the camera had arrived New Jersey. Hopefully, William, mine will arrive Tuesday as well. She knows that I am leaving town bright and early Wednesday morning. Thanks for the cheerful update.

--martha :)

My Leica M9 steel grey has arrived on Friday :cool:

For all those that have the coffee stain, I thought these tips to speed up the process might come in handy:

1. Contact Leica Solms directly, preferably by email on cs@leica-camera.com.

Report that yoour M8 has the coffee stain. They will probably ask to send scans of your purchase invoice and/or serial number.

I contacted Leica Solms on the 4th october. No answer...

I contacted Leica France on the 20 th december: no answer...

@martha

Enjoy!

I can tell you it is really hard to put the M9 down once you get your hands on it ;)

@dominic

I would try Leica Solms again. In English or German. Did you use French the first time?

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

@martha

@dominic

I would try Leica Solms again. In English or German. Did you use French the first time?

English.

Thanks to the forum (?), i've just received an answer from Leica France: send the m8 to Solms for an examination and you'll receive an offer to replace the M8 with a new ???. I'll have to pay 1500-2000 euros.

FINALLY, after 66 days without a digital Leica (my trusty M3 has been filling in), a new M9P, serial number 4231xxx, arrived. (Ron, is this number in line with yours?) This camera was sent from Solms to Leica USA as a FREE replacement for my warranteed M8.2 with coffee stain. They did not even charge me postage. Now, I call that Great Service!!!!!

I have just spent the better part of an hour rolling around this website trying to figure out how to obtain shutter actuations with no success. (Can anyone enlighten me, please!)

Now, I MUST get out and make some pictures. Judging from the two tests I made out a window for shutter numbers, the color this machine makes is outstanding!!!!

Thank you all for suggestions and input.

--martha

Thanks Ict.

C08 = 3080 actuations. Does that sound like the camera was a Demo or fresh from factory (not that it matters that much?)

--martha

that is a fair number of actuations....possibly a demo OR a refurbished unit? Still nice service from Leica and a good deal for you!

FINALLY, after 66 days without a digital Leica (my trusty M3 has been filling in), a new M9P, serial number 4231xxx, arrived. (Ron, is this number in line with yours?)

Thank you all for suggestions and input.

--martha

Martha, I've been off line for a few days, glad you got a free M9P; while the experts don't tell us the color is better, but it certainly seems so. I too love my M9 (no P) and hope it is more trouble free than the M8 it replaced. Numbers: mine starts with 44 so it would seem somewhat out of sequence (assuming 9s and 9Ps share sequential numbers. I too use an M3 when the digital(s) aren't available (not totally true, sometimes a Hassy). Enjoy your camera !, regards, ron

Thanks Ict.

C08 = 3080 actuations. Does that sound like the camera was a Demo or fresh from factory (not that it matters that much?)

--martha

It looks as if Leica has truly run out of new M9s and is either using ex demo or refurbished machines to replace faulty M8s.

My replacement had less than 100 actuations when I received it.

3000 sounds a lot for a new machine.

Even if it is a demo or refurbished, I will have the warranty, as Ict points out. The only downside to that is the wait time for repairs, if needed. If I can scrape up the $ near the end of the warranty, I might even splurge for the warranty upgrade. (Does anyone ever do that? Is it worth it?) The body looks totally unmarred, blemished, or otherwise used. Leica service is fan-tas-tic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy shooting to all....

--martha

• Like 2

I had a used M9 and it also looked brand new to me with no signs of use.

The shutter count was around 200. Probably a demo model...

And i stil got a 10% discount on the upgrade price. :cool:

Kudos Leica!

Mine just got the coffee stain overnight...yesterday all ok..this morning:(:(...

Sorry for you. Hope you can get an M9 or M-E from Leica if you like it or negociate a reduction on the M-240. Otherwise your M8 is still usable in spite of the faulty LCD hopefully.

• Like 1