My M6 arrived this morning.. which is it? :)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I understand the M6 is available with a couple of different viewfinder magnifications. The guy I bought mine from was unsure as to which this camera is. Is there a way to find out? And does it make much difference with a 50mm lens (and eventually a 28 or 35mm lens)?

Cheers!

Welly

I've been considering venturing back into film recently, having previously used Olympus SLR's in the form of OM2n's . Of late I've been using a Canon 5d mark 2 with a few L lenses which I have to say are fantastic,but it's all on the heavy side. I've also got an old Contax T which I've put a roll of black and white into (HP 5). I've been using a D-Lu4 for a couple of years which I have to say amazes me at times, I had a couple of pictures published in the travel section of the Telegraph that were taken on it.

I'm considering buying either a Leica M6 or M7, I am fascinated by the engineering in these works of art, it's a bit like the engineering on a Porsche, just fantastic and tactile. Anyway my point is, I'd like a mint one, if I'm going to take the plunge, and the ones that seem to be listed as such seem to be in China on the Internet. Has anyone bought from EBay, for Leica cameras that originate there ?. I'm reluctant to buy blind, but very few seem listed at UK dealers, certainly nothing at my nearest dealers in Manchester.

Edited by Lee Martin
Spelling mistake

The 0.72 viewfinder is the most versatile as it will give you frame lines for every lens from 28mm through 135mm.

The 0.58 is more for people who use primarily wider lenses and the 0.85 is for those who use longer lenses most frequently.

For use with the 28mm, 35mm and 50mm lenses, the 0.72 would be a good choice as would the 0.58 - not so much the 0.85 though.

Edited by Messsucherkamera
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Has anyone bought from EBay, for Leica cameras that originate there ?. I'm reluctant to buy blind, but very few seem listed at UK dealers, certainly nothing at my nearest dealers in Manchester.

Hi Lee, I can't help you with availability in the UK but here in the States PopFlash has recently listed a few nice M7 bodies on eBay at reasonable prices. I picked up a silver chrome M7 from them a couple of weeks ago with a twelve month Leica USA warranty for less than 2,000 USD. It included all of the original factory packaging and looks to be in completely new condition. I believe that they ship overseas.

Cya,

Johnny

Anyway my point is, I'd like a mint one, if I'm going to take the plunge, and the ones that seem to be listed as such seem to be in China on the Internet. Has anyone bought from EBay, for Leica cameras that originate there ?. I'm reluctant to buy blind, but very few seem listed at UK dealers, certainly nothing at my nearest dealers in Manchester.

fwiw, I don't know about the Chinese retailers, but I've purchased from Japanese retailers on eBay. I've found them to be very honest (the Japanese cultural thing about being honorable, no doubt.) Plus they ship through Japan Post (EMS express mail service which is super efficient.) It's very quick and I've had no duty charges. I've also bought non-camera goods from Japan websites with equal ease (lots of cool Japanese products that one can't buy anywhere else.)

It seems that most Japanese treat their belongings with respect, and overall I find that cameras and lenses from Japan tend to be in mint condition as stated in their descriptions.

• Like 1

Stephens have changing stock so it's worth calling and seeing what they have. Also upstairs in Barton arcade is worth a look.

Check Harrison cameras used section they often have Leica M's. The first M6 I bought developed a fault so I was glad it was bought in the uk from a store I could return it to. I bought my next from a bricks and mortar store with a 12 month guarantee. The mint one I had I was scared of marking.

The next one I bought had a few dings and I'm happier taking it out.

NewOldCamera, an Italian dealer (Newoldcamera) has more than sixty film M listed available. LeicaShop (http://www.leicashop.com), an Austrian dealer linked to the Westlich Photographica Auction has also around sixty cameras listed.

BTW, I bought my Leica (and Olympus) gear on US EBay a few years ago, and found excellent cameras and lenses. I agree that one has to be careful, but with a bit of patience it is possible to find very good stuff.

They seem to have some lovely equipment listed as due in , that customers maybe exchanging . There's mention of a Monochrome !! I don't think it's for me, aside from the expense, but people are querying delivery dates, and someone is bored already

Edited by Lee Martin
Spelling mistake

.... I'm reluctant to buy blind, but very few seem listed at UK dealers, certainly nothing at my nearest dealers in Manchester.

I would suggest you ask your dealer in Manchester to register your interest and let you know when he next receives a mint M6. You might find some owners parting with theirs once the new M arrives.

...The 0.58 is more for people who use primarily wider lenses and the 0.85 is for those who use longer lenses most frequently.....

Or for spectacle wearers like me. That was the main reason why I bought the 0.58 version and I never found it limiting. It works very well with my TriElmar 28-35-50 lens.