Choosing a Leica compact...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

the D-LUX 6 is the way to go.I've had the D-LUX 6 for around 6 months now and I literally take it everywhere. I am really pleased with the IQ as well. I did try out the X2 when at the Leica Miami store, and wonder if I could live without a zoom lens and the fixed 3:4 frame to gain the stripped down purity of operation of the X2, but I am not sure.

the D-LUX 6 is the way to go.I've had the D-LUX 6 for around 6 months now and I literally take it everywhere. I am really pleased with the IQ as well. I did try out the X2 when at the Leica Miami store, and wonder if I could live without a zoom lens and the fixed 3:4 frame to gain the stripped down purity of operation of the X2, but I am not sure.

I agree with this. I don't really compare the D-Lux6 to anything else because there isn't anything else like it. The other digicams have nice features and can turn in a great image here and there, especially if a great image is made possible by some unique feature of that camera like a long zoom or a really big sensor. But when I pick up the D-Lux6 with that fabulous lens it has, I don't imagine those other small cameras making an image with as good a quality. It's not simple to explain because there are so many factors, but everything begins with the lens, and I don't think there's anything the size of the D-Lux6 that can match the qualities of that lens. I read a lot of posts here and there praising the Fuji X100s, and I imagine the D-Lux6 as the small version of that camera.

• Like 2

I agree with this. I don't really compare the D-Lux6 to anything else because there isn't anything else like it. The other digicams have nice features and can turn in a great image here and there, especially if a great image is made possible by some unique feature of that camera like a long zoom or a really big sensor. But when I pick up the D-Lux6 with that fabulous lens it has, I don't imagine those other small cameras making an image with as good a quality. It's not simple to explain because there are so many factors, but everything begins with the lens, and I don't think there's anything the size of the D-Lux6 that can match the qualities of that lens. I read a lot of posts here and there praising the Fuji X100s, and I imagine the D-Lux6 as the small version of that camera.

hi badbob,

better can not tell and images say more than many words to it.

br kmhb

Apart from the Panasonic LX7 of course, which has the same lens and sensor etc.

I had the LX7, but didn't put them side by side. I'd guess they're the same. Looking at the Panasonic line, and I've had about 20 of their digital cameras, it seems to me the LX7 must have been inspired by Leica (same as LX3 which I had), because it's so much more professional in every way than their other digicams.

I bught the Panasonic LF1, another $500 digicam, and when you put its images up at 100 percent next to the LX7 or D-Lux6, the latter's images are relatively sharp and clear edge to edge, while the LF1 images break down near the edges. So lesson learned: the D-Lux6 is a guaranteed win for quality, the LX7 may be as good lacking certain perks like warranty and Leica service, and outside of those in tiny cameras you're probably going to lose quality, around the edges at least.

Hi, I have the D-Lux 6 and I am astonished at the quality of images at ISO80. Upgraded from the D-Lux5

and the 6 is a fine upgrade in my opinion. When I look at some of my recent shots with the 6 they just make me go WOW! To show my credentials, I am a retired pro photographer of some many years, I'm in my 79th. year so I learned a little, with M series cameras in the good old days, to Rolleiflex, Linhof 5x4, Hassleblad and now my stable comprises of a battery of Nikons and umpteen lenses, my beautiful Digilux 2 and of course the 6. Very very rarely now do I use any other camera than my little gem-the 6.

Hope this helps our friend to come to a conclusion. Best wishes to fellow Leiconians.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Several months ago I bought a Leica D-LUX 2 and I noticed that I took out my giant Nikon dSLR less and less. Then just a month ago I bought a used D-LUX 5 with an EVF and I'm probably going to sell my D7000. Really, after dabbling in wedding and portrait photography, I realized that I don't want to shoot commercially since I work full time and when I'm out and about I just want to relax and try to create art.

The 5 is just awesome, so compact, so powerful, easy to learn, quiet, very light but still feels like high quality. I can take it anywhere, especially out into the street where real life is happening and so many photo ops exist where walking around with a dSLR in the same setting makes you look like some paparazzi freak.

I haven't tried the 6 yet, but I've read up on it. I'm sure that model is incredible, seems a little bigger than the 5, but after using the 5 for a short time, I'm just......happy.

Does anyone know if I can use my Leica SF-20 flash on the D-LUX 5?