Choosing a Leica compact...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everyone,

I've dabbled with photography for a number of years (case and point: my Flickr page), but haven't picked up my camera in years thanks to the intensity of my university schedule.

Right now I've got two cameras - a Panasonic TZ10 and a Nikon D60 with the standard 18-55 kit lens, and a 55-200 telephoto lens. The last couple of times I've travelled I haven't been able to take my D60, and had to take the TZ10 instead. Long story short I wasn't really happy with the quality of the images I had from the TZ10 - it is a humble little compact, after all! Though saying that, I loved being able to zoom freely without having to change lenses.

So recently I'd decided to sell both of those cameras and look into the high-end compact, bridge camera, mirrorless SLR market - hoping that I could get portability without sacrificing stunning image quality. Which originally brought me to Sony's NEX range, particularly the NEX 5R. But then I'd thought about the relative bulk of carrying extra lenses if I'm travelling, and the day-to-day hassle of switching lenses.

So if given that the main thing I want is image quality... It wasn't long before I'd started looking at Leica's offerings. But I'm torn between the X2, V-Lux 4 and D-Lux 6.

I like the aesthetics of the X2, and I think I'd love it's image quality - but I'm worried about being restricted to 35mm.

I like the flexibility of the V-Lux 4 in terms of zoom, but I'm worried that that freedom comes with a lesser image quality in comparison to the other two - plus reviews suggest that it doesn't offer a lot above Panasonic's FZ200, apart from that glorious red dot...

As for the D-Lux 6 I think it's potentially a good compromise between the X2 and V-Lux 4, but beyond that I have no idea.

TL;DR I can't choose between the Leica V-Lux 4, X2 and D-Lux 6. Given that I'm looking for outstanding image quality, portability (not necessarily pocketability) and a reasonable amount of zoom (though I'm happy to be argued out of that), which model should I go for?

Thanks a lot!

Welcome,

well, not sure how many D-Lux 6 owners are around yet, but the D-Lux 5 has already had its test in time.

I'm realizing lately how much I'm using mine like my long loved Olympus Mju II with 400iso negative film: carry everywhere, take anything, don't fondle. Except, it has a zoom, amazing macro capacity (helped by the small sensor which leads to more depth of field); downsides, at iso 400 you will want to work with RAW and it has a zoom. The latter can make you lazy; and can drive you nuts, when you're used to manually changing the focal length with a twist of the wrist. Using the fixed focal positions helps a little. In good light, image quality can be astounding. A lab has asked me once if the 50x50cm prints (close-ups of vegetables) from the D-Lux 5 at iso 80 where made with a medium format camera. In poor light and high iso it can also be awful and force you to gritty b&w. Autofocus is not too bad, format switch and the AF/macro/MF switch are very handy. The D-Lux 6 also has this, plus an aperture ring, I hear. No idea about its real-life IQ. Long guarantee period and great software pack are excellent at any rate.

If you want an idea of the image quality of the X1, there is the gallery of Ivan Muller here in the Forum that springs to my mind first. Just superb. Perhaps that's the Mju II replacement I should go for :rolleyes: Then, some things you cannot zoom-in with your feet. But with the X2's resolution you might be able to crop it in, for far more bucks, though. A bit more bulk, too.

You may also want to check out other brands. Lots of discussion of Fuji's Xs here. You may also want to look at the Olympus XZ series. Sample pics from the XZ-1 I'd seen when it came out were already very good. Enjoy getting lost and choose with the guts, camera in hand.

Alexander

If you've any friends in America, get them to buy you a Panasonic LX7 from Amazon USA ? they are selling them at $299 !! even with a potential 8% sales tax on top it's a bargain. I don't know why it's such a good deal, it's more than that in pounds here in the UK. Choice of black or white too.

I know it won't come with the additional software or 2 year warranty, but an amazing camera for that price. If it wasnt for the import tax I'd buy one, just in case my D-Lux 4 packed up !!

One more observation re/D-Lux 5: the image quality variations and limitations somehow remind me of 35mm film. Not necessarily the rendering itself (though it can happen in lucky cases), more the behavior from very fine and smooth (iso 80, good light) over less detail (iso 320) to quite stiff noise and detail reduction (> iso 800-1600). Obviously, noise is not grain, and the images get mushier, not more contrasty as you go up in iso. But there is an analogy that keeps me using the camera in similar ways as a film body, perhaps maintaining a certain discipline helpful for film photography.

Alexander

you really can't go wrong with the D-Lux....any of them. I have not tried the 6, but i'm assuming it is as good or better than the 5....which was better than the 4, which was better than the.....well you get the point. They are fantastic pocket point and shoots.

you should also consider buying a pre-owned X1, as they are readily available online for around $1k these days. No zoom.....just walk a bit more :)

Thanks a lot for all of the replies so far - they really are appreciated.

A lot of praise for the D-Lux 6 so far, and not a lot for the V-Lux 4 - which wasn't totally unexpected... What I am surprised by though is the love for the X1 rather than the X2 - is this purely because of being able to buy the X1 used for less than an X2, or is there another reason for opting for the X1 over the X2?

What I am surprised by though is the love for the X1 rather than the X2 - is this purely because of being able to buy the X1 used for less than an X2, or is there another reason for opting for the X1 over the X2?

In my opinion, the image quality of the X1 is a little better than the X2. That's probably the main reason.

But further you only get a few things which are improved on the X2 - slightly faster focus speed or slightly higher ISO (6400 to 3200). You also have the oportunity to use an electronic viewfinder instead of an optical one - that's it.

I suggest to look for a used X1 - a great camera which I love very much.

The image quality out of the D-Lux 5 is extremely good. The lens range from a very useful wideangle at 24mm-equiv to 90mm-equiv is extremely versatile and ideal for travel. It also has a fast f/2 - f/3.3 lens (the D-Lux 6 is even faster (f1.4 f/2.3). That makes it great in low light. Compared to a larger sensor camera, though, it is hard to blur backgrounds, so choose your background carefully.

I would really recommend buying some books on photography (including Alexander White's book on the D-Lux if you decide to buy one), and also check out real world images. Google "Hive Mind photos with Leica D-Lux" for some examples.

Hi, I have a question about the DLux 2. I am trying to find a quality used one based on all the praise

here in the forum. But I see there is a silver version with an 8MP chip instead of the 5MP.

Is the lens the same on both versions? The silver version does look different.

Can someone enlighten me please?

RR

Hi, I have a question about the DLux 2. I am trying to find a quality used one based on all the praise

here in the forum. But I see there is a silver version with an 8MP chip instead of the 5MP.

Is the lens the same on both versions? The silver version does look different.

Can someone enlighten me please?

RR

I think that you are confusing the D-Lux2 with the Digilux2, that's why the specs and appearance are different...

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I have a X2 and a Dlux 6. Both are wonderful.

If you can only have one go for the Dlu6 it's more versatile. Great IQ!

Have you considered the Panasonic LX7 for a couple years to see where the market goes? That said I'll bet Leica X Vario is the best choice....forget the cost.

Good Luck

> You may also want to check out other brands. Lots of discussion of Fuji's Xs here.

I was going to say . . . I will keep my Digilux 2 forever, mainly for the IQ -- the "Leica Light" that seems to come only from Leica designs, or did until Fuji's X100S came along. Some pictures I've seen from that camera are stunning.

Like the Leica X1 and X2, the X100S is APSC, 35mm equivalent f2. But unlike the Leicas, the Fuji has a viewfinder (what a concept) and it's hybrid, optical and EVF. It's also 40% less expensive.

Egde wrote:

I like the flexibility of the V-Lux 4 in terms of zoom, but I'm worried that that freedom comes with a lesser image quality in comparison to the other two - plus reviews suggest that it doesn't offer a lot above Panasonic's FZ200, apart from that glorious red dot...

It seems you might need to evaluate just what you expect from a camera. The V-Lux 4 is capable of fine images. With a high zoom range, a tripod makes a difference in image quality. That's true of any camera. The X-1 or 2 would give fine images but no zoom. The D-Lux 6 is very good if the zoom range works for you. So again, it's a matter of what you expect from the camera.

The image quality out of the D-Lux 5 is extremely good. The lens range from a very useful wideangle at 24mm-equiv to 90mm-equiv is extremely versatile and ideal for travel. It also has a fast f/2 - f/3.3 lens (the D-Lux 6 is even faster (f1.4 f/2.3). That makes it great in low light. Compared to a larger sensor camera' date=' though, it is hard to blur backgrounds, so choose your background carefully.

I would really recommend buying some books on photography (including Alexander White's book on the D-Lux if you decide to buy one), and also check out real world images. Google "Hive Mind photos with Leica D-Lux" for some examples.[/quote']

+1...I think the D-Lux 5 is a great compact camera. I use mine when traveling lite or for family events. It's a jewel!