Has anyone gone digital then given it up?

kivis

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don't have a digital camera (even though I am considering a backup to my M6TTL, maybe an RX1), but if I did, I would try to use it as a film camera, only with the convenience of immediate result. For instance, I would avoid any capability to influence the end result by means of preprocessing or heavily postprocessing the image. In short, I would consider the memory card as a film cassette, only a digital one.

• Like 3

I don't have a digital camera (even though I am considering a backup to my M6TTL, maybe an RX1), but if I did, I would try to use it as a film camera, only with the convenience of immediate result. For instance, I would avoid any capability to influence the end result by means of preprocessing or heavily postprocessing the image. In short, I would consider the memory card as a film cassette, only a digital one.

That's somewhat my same philosophy when I use digital cameras. But it's probably based more on my own particular style of photographing and decades of using film (in all sizes.)

However, one thing that digital can inspire is experimentation. Without the expense of film and processing, etc., one can experiment with perhaps a bit more confidence knowing that one can check the results right away. And digital can be used like we used Polaroids for checking exposure and composition with sheet film view cameras. Plus Polaroid also allowed for some experimentation without the time and expense.

I often will start a project with a digital camera and then as I develop ideas, go ahead and continue the final steps with film. It's like a film maker using the storyboard to guide them through making the film.

Using a digital camera, even though you might want the finished product to be produced with film, has great potential as a tool for experimentation and also as your storyboard.

• Like 1

If I had access to a dark room, I might have. But seeing that I have to scan those negatives, it hardly makes much sense to me.

Other than that, I think that my chrome Leica MP is a "better" camera than my Monochrom or M9-P. Go figure. Also, I never understood those "giving up digital" posts on a (digital) internet forum.

Why? Wishing to shoot only film does not preclude using the digital internet.Anyway different strokes for different folks.:D

Am in the process of selling my M9 since I used my MP much more. Have just bought

a second MP. Digital was not for me. The digital pics are better in a technical way but

I enjoy shooting my MP, so out goes digital. I have just realized that the process of taking

pictures have a greater value to me then a technically perfect end result :-)

I have a (black paint) M2 and an M8. I shoot both film and digital, although I shoot digital more, mainly for the convenience. I have (boxed up) an old Valoy enlarger that I enjoyed immensely when I had the time to set up a darkroom, that is no longer the case. If I had the time, I would develop my own film and make my own prints.

I shoot BW400CN, Portra 160 and 400 films now, and transfer everything to CD. Of course I keep the negatives to have prints made (or in the case of the BW400CN, make prints myself someday in the future). I no longer shoot slide film or "regular" B&W film anymore, as they are hard to obtain and cost a king's ransom to develop and process. Also many of the custom labs I used to use have closed up, due to digital. I love the convenience of digital but I love the "look" of film. I sometimes find digital having a "plastic" look, but it is very convenient and has the advantage of my being able to delete unwanted images.

I will always shoot both film and digital for the reasons mentioned above. I may replace the M8 when it no longer is "usable" but you will have to pry my M2 from my cold, dead hands.

Happy New Year to all,

Russell

• Like 1

Haven't given it up yet but I know what will happen if…..

The Monochrom M is the first digital camera that could make me add digital to using film; however I will never give up using film as long as good films remain available. The fact that film cameras can keep on going far past half a century is just too….amazing to give up.

Even though I am saving up for a Monochrom, I often feel hesitant when I think about the inevitable software updates, deal pixels and freeze-ups that it will (probably) bring along with it….As well as even more hours in front of the screen, and/or troubleshooting that I would like to get away from. But it is a stunning tool, and especially so in low light.So likely worth the effort (I hope).

Centring more on your question: if it (digital) delivers too many headaches, it will go out the door, and then I will shoot film for the serious/intense stuff and use a smaller, cheaper digital camera for the ease of it.

I think choosing to live only digital or analogue is impossible today, but the question is perhaps better asked in regards to whether analogue or digital where you will make the most serious commitments in your photographic endeavours.

It's great to take a picture of your friends at the bar with your iPhone, but I wouldn't want to shoot landscapes with it and neither do I need an M 240 for colour holiday snaps.

Cheers,

Theo

Edited by tadeyev

although i've NOT given up digital yet. i found it greatly rewarding to backtrack to analog once again. Film does offer something digital tries so hard to imitate, but without success. The natural grain of film is also extremely pleasing that i sometimes yearn for it in digital. Although software like silverefex do offer film preset, it never fully duplicate the effect.

I said above that I was considering the new M, depending on image quality, and that I might instead get a new scanner. Well, I have decided to do the latter and bought a Coolscan 9000 I came across for a good price. I really look forward to this.

As for digital, I will henceforth rely on Hipstamatic which I find gives rather satisfying results.

• Like 4

Recently, I thought of getting an X2 -- came very close. Too close. Then my head cleared and I ordered an mp body. (I have a tiny digital camera on my samsung phone, maybe I'll use it someday in an emergency or to photograph something to sell on ebay.)

I said above that I was considering the new M, depending on image quality, and that I might instead get a new scanner. Well, I have decided to do the latter and bought a Coolscan 9000 I came across for a good price. I really look forward to this.

Congratulations, it's a good scanner. Does this mean you're also keeping your BP M4? I hope so. I personally think a BP M4 is the best of the film M cameras to own.

I'd highly recommend looking for the Image Mechanics fluid mount tray for your 9000. It will make a big difference in sharpness (film flatness) and also help a lot with scratches and film imperfections, etc.. And it's pretty much mandatory if you scan 120 film especially in 6x7, 6x9, and larger frame sizes due to the thinness of 120.

They're not easy to find anymore but grab one if you see one for sale somewhere. You can use any brand fluid (such as Kami) plus readily available scanning mylar and tape.

Image Mechanics- FS Distribution

Cachet - Product Details

• Like 2

Contemplating giving up digital. Anyone else done this? I would be living with film only other than my iPhone.

Hi kshapero. Yes. I was only a few years ago I shoot film. :rolleyes: I have digital (dp1,dp2) but very rarely use (annually only about 100 files...).

Thanks for the tip on the fluid mount tray, CalArts. Very interesting indeed.

The image on the first page you link to shows, I think, a 35mm strip on the tray. Won't there be a need for masks to prevent light creeping in from the edges (or is this what you meant by mylar)?

As I understand it, the FH-869GR rotating holder comes with masks which are supposedly necessary to prevent light from bleeding into the frame. Perhaps it works differently with fluid mounting? (Btw the rotating holder included with the scanner I've bought unfortunately doesn't have those masks any longer; can one make new ones oneself or will Nikon sell them?).

Yes, I've decided to keep the M4. It is really a joy to shoot with and since I've just had it serviced it feels new. It's going to sound strange but the M4's ever so slightly smaller form factor makes it feel (in my hands at least) a lot smaller than the M6.

Cheers and thanks again

• Like 1

Just took delivery of a new boxed Mamiya 6 + all three lens kit. I'm genuinely AWED by this camera, and I doubt whether my photographic skill will ever match what I've seen it's capable of.

The M8 is currently for sale, and I've cleared out 95% of my other Leica gear now - leaving only the Millenium M6, three Summicrons, the CL and the Noctilux.

With my existing Hasselblad equipment I'm simply blown away by the look of medium format film - I'm hoping adding the Mamiya will just give me even more opportunities to use the format.

I recently bought an Olympus E-PL5 and put the Nokton 25 0.95 on it (quite a nice lens - but incredible barrel distortion) and that's all I need for some family snapshots and videos. Otherwise all film - for my personal shooting.

Edited by plasticman
  • Like 4

Just took delivery of a new boxed Mamiya 6 + all three lens kit. I'm genuinely AWED by this camera, and I doubt whether my photographic skill will ever match what I've seen it's capable of.

With my existing Hasselblad equipment I'm simply blown away by the look of medium format film.

I love Medium formats. I picked up two rolls from the lab yesterday which i shot over two months. I have the Mamiya 7II with 43, 80 and 150. The 43mm has no distortion at all - amazing lens. 80 is super sharp.

I have stopped myself from getting the Mamiya 6 w/50mm many times..... perfect (MF) camera for travel. Enjoy your M6 :D

• Like 1

Thanks for the tip on the fluid mount tray, CalArts. Very interesting indeed.

The image on the first page you link to shows, I think, a 35mm strip on the tray. Won't there be a need for masks to prevent light creeping in from the edges (or is this what you meant by mylar)?

As I understand it, the FH-869GR rotating holder comes with masks which are supposedly necessary to prevent light from bleeding into the frame. Perhaps it works differently with fluid mounting? (Btw the rotating holder included with the scanner I've bought unfortunately doesn't have those masks any longer; can one make new ones oneself or will Nikon sell them?).

Yes, I've decided to keep the M4. It is really a joy to shoot with and since I've just had it serviced it feels new. It's going to sound strange but the M4's ever so slightly smaller form factor makes it feel (in my hands at least) a lot smaller than the M6.

Cheers and thanks again

Glad to hear you're keeping the BP M4. I saw it for sale here and was tempted. I really like BP M4s but I can't afford one right now. I have the lowly chrome version instead. :)

I'm guessing that photo of the 35mm strip on the Image Mechanics tray is just a marketing photo to show it easily. If they used a 120 strip then you wouldn't see much since there is a built-in black mask for the 120 size. So I assume that photo is just for show.

Mylar is what you use on top of the film with the fluid to keep it in contact with the film and so everything is flat. But yes, you will get flare at the edges without a mask. It's easy to make your own masks however. btw, I think Silverfast works great with the 9000 especially for color film.

But I forgot about Scan Science. I've never used their kits myself but they have a good reputation and are current (at least I believe they still sell a wet mount option for the 9000.) Nikon Coolscan 9000 / 8000 Film Scanners They also sell masks (and also a wet mount kit for the V750 Epson.) And instead of Kami they sell Lumina fluid.

The weak spot of the 9000 are the film holders and I think that the FH-869GR glass rotating carrier is really the only way to get the best results from a 9000 outside of the wet mounting options. If I recall, there is a non-rotating holder (FH-869G) but since it's not easy to line up the film strip perfectly straight, I think the rotating version makes things easier. It's been about 7 years since I used a 9000 so my memory might be a bit foggy.....

• Like 2

Just took delivery of a new boxed Mamiya 6 + all three lens kit. I'm genuinely AWED by this camera

Great choice. Enjoy it.

I like the compactness of rangefinder MF cameras. I used a Plaubel Makina 670 (6x7 frame) with a fixed lens for years. Also a Fuji GSW690 rangefinder (6x9 frame) which was like a big oversized Leica M although with a fixed lens and a loud clunky sounding shutter (and a double wind advance.)

The relatively new Voigtlaender Bessa III/Fuji GF670 appears to be a modern Plaubel replacement. Like the earlier Plaubels, they come in both normal and wide versions. They look tempting. :)

Voigtlaender - Bessa III

Fujifilm GF670 Professional Film Camera

• Like 2