An unlikely Champion

Advertisement (gone after registration)

One darkroom wall is arrayed with prints, black and white memories of places and people. Be they remarkable or mundane, each photograph has been crafted to record a passage or episode, the culmination of an arduous journey or delivery in style and each a summation of cause and event.

An authoritative sun teasing clouds over the equator into towers of acrobatic wonder. Graceful grasses dancing in the wind, bowing to a glowing sandstone wall. An empty beach covered only in glistening crystals, a static pirouette. A valley of dark save, only for a sacred promontory where divined astronomy has arrayed a city now deserted but destined for pilgrims who walked the path of the ancients. A towering wall of dolomite reflected in a placid, inviting pool forgotten by the desert and a reward of shade, shape and form after an unforgiving hike. A moment of quiet solitude reduced to hues of greys as a reader leans against the wall of a book shop.

There are more but word sketches are not the point of this laudatory for my intention is to record my admiring glance and nod of appreciation to the tool that is a faithful travelling companion, demure and discrete, the Leica CL, untiring and forgiving of extremes of heat and cold and a survivor of my wandering. As much as trophies decorate the wall of her past accomplishments, she is eager for the next adventure and waits patiently.

In the meantime, I can enjoy the fruits of her labour...Landscape Photography

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 10

...I totally identify with your recognition of the trustworthy Leica CL+40/2, Bateleur - more importantly, I am blessed a rather large set of images and negatives dating back to the last century. They tell a much better story.

Great imagery, by the way (words and photographs), and here's to another X number of years of reliable hassle-free photography, irrespective of location.

• Like 1

There is.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

It's made of rubber.

Is there a lens hood for the Summicron 40? I have never seen a photo of a CL with a 40/2 wearing a lens hood. :confused:

...also, Messsucherkamera, being made of rubber, the designated hood (catalogue #12518) deteriorated with age, which would more or less explain why there are very few examples around 30 years later. Mine fell apart along the folds (it was collapsible, you see) in the mid-90s.

I managed to cobble together an all-metal Leica solution from tired bits and bobs I had knocking about - you can see it here.