5cm Elmar - Flare or Processing Error

Keith (M)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

finding the leak shouldn't be all that difficult. take the stripe of film with the fogging on it and make some good visible marks on it where the light might have come in. then figure out the orientation of the film when it was in the camera - remember the picture on the film is upside down and mirorred. then put the stripe of film into the camera an put one frame exactly in front of the shutterframe. then you can see from your markings, in wich area the potential leaking took place. there should be two or three places for choice.

remember, that the film winds after every single picture. try to remember, which fram was taken first and how quick they were taken. find the negative with the heaviest fogging and find the negative taken with the longest delay between pictures. put the last one in front of the shutter and see where the most fogged frame comes to sit. there you are able to find the one spot, where the light came in. et voilà.

Thank you, very useful information.

• 2 weeks later...

Keith

Did you ever resolve the light leak issue?

I have a iiig with a similar problem.

Film cassette and developing causes have been ruled out.

Photo attached showing the affected areas. The leak also extends to the edge of the film.

Not every frame is affected.

I had the same problem some years ago with a IIIg and Summicron combination. I suspect that this is an issue with the IIIg, possibly caused by the sealing around the large viewing window working loose over time. Red Dot's repairer fixed it for me. I believe that new sealing was used to fix the issue.

William

Edited by willeica

Hello Everybody,

It might be that the reason that some frames have the light leak & others do not is: That it is possible that the leak only occurs either when the shutter is cocked or, alternatively, when the shutter is not cocked.

Another thought: Or while the shutter is being cocked.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht