M6 shutter adjustment, I need some help

Jagu

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi All!

I've got some problem with my new classical Leica M6 (it's not really new, I just bought it)

When I scanned my first film, I found a white strip (overexposed) at the right corner. It appears when I'm using short shutter speed. I know, it can be fixed and adjusted.

I have to adjust special screw on the bottom plate. But I've no idea wich one.

Any ideas?

Thanks alot :)

Yes, don't try to compensate with the screws on the bottom. The shutter needs service, not a quick adjustment. My M6 developed shutter problems because I left a battery in it too long, and it leaked into the shutter mechanism. The tech reported that this was not unusal, and it required parts replacement.

• Like 1

Thanks All!

I resolved this issue

When I got the problem with my new leica M6, (see pictures 1 and 2) I tried to find some information how to fix it. Obviously that shutter had some problem, but nobody know what happened exactly.

When I explored my camera I found that second curtain can't get into right position after shutter release (see picture 3). When the second curtain is in the wrong position there is gap, the light leaks thru this gap and makes the film overexposed.

I read alot of forums about how to fix this issue, but there were very few advices. Just one advice was helpful to me. - "When it happened you have to check the curtain's brake".

Only place where I could get the information how to adjust the curtain's brake was "leica M2 service manual" . M2 and M6 actually the same cameras ;)

In the Service Manual this is tipical problem. It can be fixed by - curtain's brake adjustment, second curtain adjustment, or replace the brakes.

I chose the simplest and the safest variant - brake adjustment.

It's a simple operation. All you need is 2 screwdrivers (cross and slot).

1. You need to unscrew 3 screw on second bottom plate.

2. Turn the brake adjstment screw counter-clockwise (pictures 5.6) on 10-20 degree (it's tight enough. be careful)

3. After that - check shutter on all exposures.

Now it works perfect :)

Picture 1

4b3ab7deb2ea.jpg

Photo 2

471fb9350084.jpg

Photo 3

8e6730a2c4f1.jpg

Photo 4

bf1e2c187abd.jpg

Photo 5

cb469ae17c1b.jpg

Photo 6

1720d511db5d.jpg

I'd certainly take the advice of both James and TomB, this isn't a problem that can be fixed by adjusting a screw but your M6 is in need of expert servicing. Hopefully you have a good Leica technician in your area who can sort things out for you.

Best wishes

Mike B:)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Looks like shutter bounce. Could be a problem with the shutter break.

Is it on the whole roll if film?

Does it only show up on one frame?

Does it only show up at certain shutter speeds?

Could it be a light leak cause during development?

You really don't want to play around with adjusting the shutter without the proper training, tools or calibration equipment.

I would either return it or send it in to get it serviced.

LHSA Repair Services