M6 metering and battery question

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After a month without being able to shoot, I had to change the battery on my M6 today because the arrows were barely visible. With the new batteries I got the impression that I could use a faster shutter speed and a smaller aperture than I had in the recent past. Is it me or the camera?!

This is my first M, and the first time I have changed the batteries since I came by it, so I have little experience to compare today with. Have I been overexposing during recent shoots? I haven't got round to developing any rolls yet, and will do so when my new Jobo arrives

I had assumed that the meter would remain accurate until the amount of power remaining in the battery reduced to a certain level, at which point the arrows would dissapear altogether.

Now I'm not sure if the meter is more accurate with a new battery, that the accuracy of it varies in linear relation to the power left in the battery, and that I should change the batteries more frequently.

I would be very grateful if anyone could please enlighten me on this subject!

Andy

I have never noticed this, but I also change my batteries once a year even if they don't need it. But, I can assume that low voltage would throw off the accuracy. Best thing to do is check the exposure with a known good meter (either another camera or hand held) against an 18% gray card under different lighting conditions. If you camera is like mine, you will find that it is not always the same as the other light meter, but never more than one f-stop off. I think this is true for most cameras and light meters.

Wayne

• Like 1

Many Thanks, Wayne.

Your advice gave me an idea. I have found a particular spot in one of the rooms of my house where the lighting is 100% constant. Regardless of the time of day, f2 and 1/60th results in accurate exposure in this room (with a brand new battery), so I'll measure the battery output from this in future. If it drops by less than 1/2 stop, I'll replace the battery.

I'll keep to the same make and model of battery. I read somewhere that lithium batteries are a good choice for film M's. I have just ordered a multimeter, so thats perhaps another way of keeping tabs on metering accuracy vs. battery output. Cleaning the battery compartment obviously helps as well !!

I have only used digital cameras before, and as far as I know, the meter is consistently accurate until there isnt enough power to take a shot. With the M6, until now I have laboured under the assumption that the metering would fail when there was insufficient power to meter accurately.

Edited by andyedward

Arnaud is correct: the meter will remain accurate but the lights may grow dim. The recommended power cell is the silver oxide SR44, which has what is called a flat discharge curve. Its output is a constant 1.55 volts until the very end, when it drops suddenly. 1.5-volt alkaline cells should not be used in an M6. Their output is not constant over time.

• Like 2

The meters on my three M6's have never failed. I don't think that is uncommon!

Typically, you can expect the LED's to pale as the battery fails. As long as you get a reading it will be asccurate. It will ultimately stop working. When the LED's pale, that is a good time to change the battery. As well as carrying spare film, it is wise to also carry a spare battery. After about 12 months of carrying it, you will be pleased you did. ;)

• Like 1

The meters on my three M6's have never failed. I don't think that is uncommon!

Typically, you can expect the LED's to pale as the battery fails. As long as you get a reading it will be asccurate. It will ultimately stop working. When the LED's pale, that is a good time to change the battery. As well as carrying spare film, it is wise to also carry a spare battery. After about 12 months of carrying it, you will be pleased you did. ;)

what i forgot to mention was i've read of a lot of other people with m6s whose meter has failed. i'm not basing my statement solely on my experience of 1 m6. they do fail.

• Like 2

what i forgot to mention was i've read of a lot of other people with m6s whose meter has failed. i'm not basing my statement solely on my experience of 1 m6. they do fail.

I take your point and I am sure you are right.

like all publicized problems, they get a wide airing. What you rarely hear or read is the overwhelming (in most cases) number of 'no trouble' events.

All manufactured items will have problems and M6's are no exception. On weight of numbers, and I can't quantify them, I am confident that the M6 is robust and reliable, as much as any other camera, or maybe better.

Clearly the one that influences us all is the one we have!

• Like 1

Are you remembering to turn the meter off when you're not using the camera? Turn the shutter speed to "B". If you shove it into a bag with the shutter speed set anythere else, and there's any pressure on the shutter release, it can turn on the meter and drain the batt.

I usually use the 3v lithium batts, and they drop dead once they can't pump out their rated voltage. The display doesn't dim, it just disappears.

• Like 1

You read about the failing M6's you don't read about the M6's that still shoot since they came out of the box ;)

My M6 developed meter problems, but only after I stored it with a battery in place and the battery leaked and damaged more than just the battery compartment (next to the meter circuit). The repair tech indicated he had seen others like this. Shouldn't blame the camera for damage caused by neglect.

• Like 1

My M6 TTL is soon to be 12 yeqrs old, it has been a wonderful camera and trouble free. Recently, my friend that processes film for a living noticed that my rolls of film were slight underexposed. I usually shoot TRI-X or T-MAX-400. He suspected the meter was was faulty...I started setting the ISO at 200 and the problem was solved. I'm not happy having to give up a stop when using 400 film. I'm thinking about sending it to Leica to have it tested...Anyone having this problem?

Paulo

• Like 1

My M6 TTL is soon to be 12 yeqrs old, it has been a wonderful camera and trouble free. Recently, my friend that processes film for a living noticed that my rolls of film were slight underexposed. I usually shoot TRI-X or T-MAX-400. He suspected the meter was was faulty...I started setting the ISO at 200 and the problem was solved. I'm not happy having to give up a stop when using 400 film. I'm thinking about sending it to Leica to have it tested...Anyone having this problem?

Paulo

It could be shutter speeds instead of meter. My M4, M6, and LeicaflexSL all had the fast shutter speeds get faster by about a stop as they aged and the oil dried to change the damping on the shutter bearings. I'd check the meter by comparing to another. If the meter's agree within a stop have the camera serviced.

It could be shutter speeds instead of meter. My M4, M6, and LeicaflexSL all had the fast shutter speeds get faster by about a stop as they aged and the oil dried to change the damping on the shutter bearings. I'd check the meter by comparing to another. If the meter's agree within a stop have the camera serviced.

Thanks for the tip. will perform the test and verify if the camera shutterspeed is indeed off.

Paulo

The M6 manual (p18) states that the meter will continue to meter accurately even though the arrows dim due to battery drain. Oddly enough the TTL manual does not say this. Rather it says that the right LED will flash on the TTL if there is insufficient voltage for accurate metering.

I'm not saying reality necessarily has to accord with the above but just fwiw that's what the manuals say.

While on the topic of batteries, the M6 manual says that:

A fresh set of batteries will last for about 20 hours, if the exposure meter is switched on continuously. Assuming a 15-second measurement in normal use, this means sufficient energy for 4,800 exposures.

The TTL manual, however, says that (p47):

At an ambient temperature of 20C and with the camera continuously switched on (shutter release button pressed), one set of fresh batteries lasts approx. 8 hours; at 10s per reading, this suffices for approx. 2900 exposures (approx. 80 films of 36 exposures each).

it is wise to also carry a spare battery.

Yes. I'm quite sloppy when it comes to turning the shutter dial on my TTL to B or Off. But I find that the battery doesn't drain much anyway. Still I keep an extra pair attached to the strap in one of those little leather cases (were they originally for the R series? I forget).

• Like 1