New boy here.

Jimothy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi folks. My name's Jim and 'm a brand new Leica user. That is to say I am brand new to using a Leica - I just took delivery of an M6.

I have a question for you more experienced guys. I dare say that it will be the first of many.

I have been a black and white film user for many years and, on my other cameras, I have a small selection of Lee filters. Because of the size of Lee filters I am thinking that maybe some screw in filters might be a better option for the M6. My quastion is this, how do i know what the filter thread size is on my 50mm Summicron? There are no markings as I have come to expect from Japanese manufacturers, though the inside of the lens cap says A42 - and I guess that the diameter of the lens is about 42mm-ish.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Welcome. Yes, the lens cap prints something like E39, E46 etc.. (E39 means 39mm, E46 = 46mm)

The lens has a similar identification printed at the front surrounding the glass.

Cheers, William

Jim, welcome to this forum! And yes, William is correct, all reasonably modern Leitz/Leica lenses I am aware of do quote "Exx" on the front ring surrounding the front element, wherein "xx" is a two digit number giving the required filter diameter in mm, while "E" is a German abbreviation for "Einschraub", which simply means 'screw in'. So "E39" would mean 39mm screw in filter, etc.

BTW, if your cap says "A42", that refers to a push-on cap for lenses having an outer diameter of 42mm ("A" is a German abbreviation for "Aufsteck", which means push on), So don't let yourself get confused by the two different markings, as one refers to the cap while the other one (on the lens) refers to the filter.

Cheers,

Andy

Thanks for the replies , guys. Maybe this lens isn't that modern as there is no E number on the front of it.

The writing around the front element says" "Summicron 1:2/50mm Leitz Wetzlar 260xxxx", obviously the last part is the serial number.

I would also be interested in finding out which lens hood is the right one for this lens.

Jim, if it's a Summicron 50mm, things are easy, as they all take 39mm screw in filters.

The hood, well, there are different ones which will fit, one I believe has the Leica code no. "12585", older ones had letter codes, but I do not currently remember the correct one.

Andy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Jimothy, welcome to the forum! Before you purchase a lens hood for your Summicron, you should know that the latest models have a hood built in. It telescopes in and out, so check your lens to see if it has a hood before you buy! Best regards, Bill (Wilyum)

You just need a #12585 (metal) or #12538 (plastic) hood like this one. :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

You can also use the straight ring that screws in from the 50 2.8. It is much smaller, looks like it will not work, but if you look off the lens axis at the glass, you will find it to be just as good at shielding the glass from stray light. The smaller diameter makes up for it not being as deep.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally got some images scanned from the first roll of film that I put through the M6. Shot on Rollei 400ASA retro, these images are from the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct and Froncysyllte.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1