Leica M4P Curtain Problem

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hallo everyone,

i have an old M4-P, which is probably 28 years old, as I found a stamp of "84" in the camera.

Now this Leica has a little problem: the 2nd curtain doesn't close the focal plane after acutation. there is about 1mm between the metal frame of the 2nd curtain and the "window" on the focal plane.

this problem occured in last winter(around January), and the problem occured with speed of 1s to about 1/250s, with Bulb and faster shutter speed 1/500 and 1/1000 there would be no maulfunction. Then I didn't use it for a few months. In the summer I checked it again and the problem is gone. The shutter curtains run perfectly. At that time I had the conclusion that the reason may be in the brake system or with the lubrication oil inside.

last week I found the problem is back, as it is now getting cold, I think my conclusion may be right.

If so, I want to ask, if the service at Solms necessary is. Because I think the Ms have been there for some decades, a shutter service can be done by most camera repair shops.

what's your opinion? thanks for your message!

I had this happen to my original M4 (1968) and my M6 after many years. It was also an intermittent problem on mine, but became constant after a while. It is due to the curtain brake mechanism. My M4 was just 42 years without service, while the M6 was due to leaving a battery in place that leaked and the leakage damaged the curtain break.

CLA fixed the M4, while the M6 required some parts replacement along with the CLA. It was certainly worth it for both cameras.

• Like 1

I would say send your M4-P to Sherry Krauter ( Sherry Krauter.com -- Home of the Golden Touch. ) for repair. She has worked on my M cameras twice now and I can recommend her with no reservations. Sherry is extremely experienced at Leica repair and is factory trained by Leica.

Sherry is in the USA. We don't know where the OP lives. I wouldn't send a camera from the UK to the USA for repair when there are more local equally highly regarded alternatives!

• Like 1

I had this happen to my original M4 (1968) and my M6 after many years. It was also an intermittent problem on mine, but became constant after a while. It is due to the curtain brake mechanism. My M4 was just 42 years without service, while the M6 was due to leaving a battery in place that leaked and the leakage damaged the curtain break.

CLA fixed the M4, while the M6 required some parts replacement along with the CLA. It was certainly worth it for both cameras.

thanks for your information. 42 years then the first service, that's astonishing! and the lubrication oil inside has no oxidation or so(become adhasive)?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would say send your M4-P to Sherry Krauter ( Sherry Krauter.com -- Home of the Golden Touch. ) for repair. She has worked on my M cameras twice now and I can recommend her with no reservations. Sherry is extremely experienced at Leica repair and is factory trained by Leica.

you have a german name but live in US, lol.

though i am not sending my m4p to US, i am still grateful for your information.

thanks for your information. 42 years then the first service, that's astonishing! and the lubrication oil inside has no oxidation or so(become adhasive)?

yepp, i am in germany.

is it strange that i dont like to send it back to solms? i just consider it may cost too much more than necessary. and i have already sent some email to the customer service of Leica, just got no answers, and i felt emotionally hurt (joking).

and thank you for your information.