Wide lens for M8, suggestions?

pwrdesign

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all!

I'm an photographer at the architectual company I work at.

Until now I've used our 5DMKII with 24-70 and 50/1.8, and I've been pretty satisfied with it. Recently I've bought a Leica M8 (private) and love that camera more than anything else.

I'm about to purchase a wide angle lens for architectual photography, I can spend about 1100 EUR, and obviously want something wider than 24mm.

I'm allowed to either buy a lens to the 5DMKII or a wide lens for my M8.

I could probably get a Canon EF 20/2.8 USM, or the Zeiss Distagon 18/3.5 ZE if I want to go with the Eos 5DMKII, but what to aim for if I want to use my M8, the capabilities of the sensor is good enough for our needs, I will need a UV filter though, to get the colors correct.

What to aim for if I want to go with the M8?

The 15/4,5 Heliar ASPH II is cheap, and about 20mm, pretty ok...but color shifts and no possibility to add filters?

Any other ideas?

I can buy used ones...

/ Patrik

Patrik,

The version 2 of this lens takes 52mm filters. I used to own one. I kept my old v1 in LTM which is a bit harder to put filters on. You should hand code it to a WATE or an S-E18mm.

The CV 15 is a fine wide lens on the M8. I also like the ZM21/2.8. As far as Leica choices the S-E 18mm works well.

That said my favourite wideish angle lens on the M8 is the Elmarit 24/2.8. Not as wide, but a fantastic lens.

Carl

Got a few questions:

When I mount the voigtlander the switch for different framelines moves, should it do that?

And how do I code the lens?

In my meny all I can choose is lens detection: On, On+bv/ir, Off

Also, when focusing, I cant see any difference in the focus-field between 0.65-0.5 meter, nothing happends in this range when turning the focus ring...?

// Patrik

Edited by pwrdesign

Some test-shots taken, some strange results :)

I did not manage to code it... missing a good pencil, have go get that tomorrow...

Anyway, took a few shots with the camera standing on the table (got my tripod at work atm)

Some things:

1. The photo in my "cycle-storage-room", look at the black bags... are this due to non AA-filter or something else?

2. The red curtains are really christmas red... appears purple in the image

I am using the B+W filter here!

Does the coding enhance the results?

Here are the test photos:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bijllet6oe0st6p/VU32GewYUl

When I mount the voigtlander the switch for different framelines moves, should it do that?
Yes.
And how do I code the lens?

If the lens brings up the 28 & 90mm framelines, code it as a Tri-Elmar-M 16-18-21mm f/4 ASPH. If it brings up the 50 & 75mm ones, code it as a Super-Elmar-M 18mm f/3.8 ASPH. See http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-news/leica-lens-codes/ for the actual codes.

In my meny all I can choose is lens detection: On, On+bv/ir, Off

That's normal for the M8. Once the lens is coded, use the UV/IR filter and select On+UV/IR.

Also, when focusing, I cant see any difference in the focus-field between 0.65-0.5 meter, nothing happends in this range when turning the focus ring...?

That's normal. The M8 and most other M rangefinders don't work much closer than 70cm.

1. The photo in my "cycle-storage-room", look at the black bags... are this due to non AA-filter or something else?

2. The red curtains are really christmas red... appears purple in the image

I am using the B+W filter here!

Does the coding enhance the results?

Coding doesn't affect the overall colour balance. It looks as if you've got a difficult mix of different kinds of fluorescent and incandescent light there, which will give any camera problems. Also, the M8 is "tuned" for the Leica UV/IR filters and the B+W 486 ones have slightly different characteristics.

Bad idea. Better code it as Elmarit-M 21 mm 1:2.8 (6-bit code 000001).

Mmmm. When I coded mine (admittedly the LTM version) I did it as a WATE, following the recommendation in the list of codes (http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-news/leica-lens-codes/). Would the two of you agree that the list needs updating?

If you able to, I recommend returning the 15 Heliar and buying the Zeiss Distagon 18 for the Canon 5DII. You will save yourself an awful lot of bother and get a higher quality result to boot.

I like my Leica cameras as much as the next man but recognise when a certain camera just isn't really the right camera for the job.

I could probably get a Canon EF 20/2.8 USM

Patrik

Do NOT buy this lens. Its an old pre-digital design and has poor corner performance on digital - I had one and found it quite unacceptable on the original 1DS. I would strongly advise against it for architectural photography and especially on a 5D2 which is very unforgiving.

18mm = 24mm

using my 5D + canon lena for that..

Want to get something wider..

I will not use it on the 5D, I will use it on my M8, and I really like it already!

Done some more testing today and the results are great! Sharpness, good, no distortion, no colorshifts that I can see!

This one I'll keep!

Edited by pwrdesign