Summicron or Summarit for portrait?

NZDavid

Use small enough stop to keep the subject in focus.

Blur the background with Photoshop or move it further away from the subject.

The difference between 2 and 2.5 is negligible and I would not base the decision on that.

At any given stop and two different focals, the depth of field will be the same because you will stand further away with the longer lens so you can get the full subject in the composition.. If you stood in the same place, the story would be different.

I should add the longer lens will see less background width more than likely. Try it out.

Edited by tobey bilek

Thanks, I prefer to get the pic right in camera first time rather than using software if possible. The 90 wide open definitely seems to yield a more out of focus background. That's good advice to choose an aperture that keeps main subject in focus -- it can be food, woman, child but not all three; one will be main point of focus, others can be acceptably sharp. One advantage of an SLR is you can see DOF in the finder. However, the M9 does let you quickly see the result. I'll also need a non distracting background. If the background is really back of course it should be more out of focus. Another instance of nice bokeh making a difference to the final shot.