Sign in to follow this  
LocalHero1953

Leica M9 and Apple Lightning usb adapter

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Has anyone used the new Apple Lighning usb camera adapter with a M9?

It looks as if there should be no problems, but I see some early reports of difficulties with some cameras, giving the error message USB DEVICE REQUIRES TOO MUCH POWER.

Thanks for any advice before I splash out on a ipad 4.

I do not have that particular adaptor, but when I plugged the USB connection of my newly arrived iPad Mini into my PC, the iPad showed 'not charging'. Same when plugged into my laptop. It seems that the iPad takes more than a USB port can handle and PC-wise, one needs a 2 into 1 adaptor so that two USB ports can be used for charging.

Thanks for the info.

In clarification, I should say that that the error message in my OP referred to the camera (a Sony, I believe) requiring too much power, not the ipad.

Thanks for the info.

In clarification, I should say that that the error message in my OP referred to the camera (a Sony, I believe) requiring too much power, not the ipad.

OK, thanks for the clarification.

Edited by Keith (M)

For the record.......

I bought a new iPad and apple camera connection kit (a simple cable with a Lightning connector and a female usb connector, for which you pay £25) and have had no problem connecting it to my M9 USB cable). On connection, a download screen opens on the iPad allowing you to select the files for downloading from the m9. Downloading is reasonably quick.

None of the standard software on the iPad will ready .dng files, though you get to see the jpg thumbnail. However, a free app, PhotoRaw Lite converts and displays them, can make some simple adjustments and save as a jpg.

Transferring files from the iPad to a pc is not simple - iTunes can sync them, but uploading to Dropbox is very slow. I only want to use the iPad to display the raw images after taking them, to show to portrait subjects, and to check quality etc, and for these purposes it works very well. Later I can download directly from the m9 to Lightroom on a pc.

However, a free app, PhotoRaw Lite converts and displays them, can make some simple adjustments and save as a jpg.

Interesting. I had read previously that the iPad is hopelessly slow at dealing with raw files. How are you finding the conversion process time-wise?

As to the adapter, am undecided whether the card-reader one might be a better choice than the usb one, on the basis that I would not need to take extra cables when I travel (as in the camera-specific cables).

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Not sure about a PC, but If you use a Mac you should be able to use Image Capture to download any images (Including RAW files) stored on your iPad or iPhone whether taken on the device or downloaded to it from a camera.

I've just done a test. Downloading 1 image took a couple of seconds. Conversion in PhotoRaw took about 12 secs. The Lite version will only convert and show one image at a time. I think the paid-for version can handle multiple images, so i am likely to upgrade.

The iPad 4 has a new processor and reviews talk about it doubling the speed over previous iPads but I have no experience to compare.

Bob: I'm sure there are other and better methods of getting images from an iPad to a pc/mac - I only tried the Dropbox route - not to be repeated.

Interesting. I had read previously that the iPad is hopelessly slow at dealing with raw files. How are you finding the conversion process time-wise?

While it's never fast, PhotoRaw works significantly faster if you close down as many other apps as possible ( double click the home button then kill each inactive app ) as once opened apps use some of the limited RAM memory even when suspended. Once RAM runs low PhotoRaw uses the SSD as a virtual disk - which makes it agonizingly slow.

I'm using an iPad2 - the 4 may be faster and have more RAM.

Hi, I tried connecting my ipad mini with retina display (ios7) to the M9 but it did not bring up the iPhoto import screen. I tried PTP and mass storage options on the M9. I wonder why it doesn't work? Any tips? Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk