Noctilux 1.0 on a M9 - Anything I should be aware of?

previlo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi there,

I am playing around with the idea of getting a Noctilux 1.0 for a M9.

This would not be the primary lens, just in addition to an existing 50, for "playing" around, experimenting with very shallow depth of field, etc.

I am curious to hear if that would still be a good idea, or if there are really any points (more from a pure technical perspective) to have in mind?

For example what about focus shift, is the 1.0 known for that?

And yes, focus is on the 1.0 (so on older one), not the new 0.95 (out of my price range).

What about the different versions of the 1.0?

I remember somehow that the lens shade is tricky? Or some are not available anymore or something like that?

Thanks in advance!

Oliver

I use the f1 Noctilux a great deal on my M9 (and Monochrom). It makes a splendid companion. Beyond the obvious speed, that very much enhances the ability to shoot in very dark venues, the look of the Noct is unique.

Sorry I can't speak much to focus shift. Theoretically it does exist, but since I shoot virtually all of my Noct shots at f1 (including daylight shots - using a 6-stop ND filter), it's not an issue for me. I'll pull out my 50 Summilux ASPH or 50 Summicron if I want a more conventional range of f-stops.

Go for it!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

All of your questions should be answered here :-

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/50mm_f/1_Noctilux-M

According to the information in the article, it looks like the total production of the f /1.0 Noctilux was right at 19,000 lenses, give or take a few. In a world with 6.973 billion inhabitants, that makes it extremely rare.

I would think that an f/1.0 Noctilux on an M9 would be a potent duo. The M9 is capable of being set to adjust exposure to counteract the vignetting at wide apertures. That along with the image quality that the M9 delivers and the shallow depth of field the Noctilux produces would make for some interesting images.

Some may disagree, but I have come to regard the f/1.0 Noctilux as the optimal lens of the Noctilux lineup (don't shoot - JMHO) :D .

When you look at cost vs. image quality, low light performance and the fingerprint (bokeh) of the f/1.0 lens, it gives a good accounting of itself.

Of course the 0.95 ASPH offers better image quality and an 11% faster maximum aperture - but at a much higher cost.

Edited by Messsucherkamera

Focus shift is inevitably a problem with this lens and mine went back to Leica three times to (eventually) have a new mount installed before it would turn in a predictable performance. Among its faults were that it focussed past infinity where of course nothing is in focus.

I don't much care for it on the M9; some of the best images I have from it have been on a Panasonic MFT because you are so much more in control when it comes to focussing. I think my interest in the lens will be revived with the new camera.

Edited by marknorton

Been using mine for 15+ years. love it!

It does require lots of training, just like an Olympic sport. Constant practice learning to slow down the focusing action just a little, to ensure precise focus. It's mental discipline that should stop you rushing the shot.

Practice makes perfect.

I've had a v4 with the built-in hood for about a month after convincing myself for many years that I didn't need one since my 50 Summilux asph gets close enough in low light. I couldn't have been more wrong. As others have said the Noctilux f/1 gives a very special 'look' to its pictures and others' photos, not least Erl's, convinced me to exchange some Leica equipment for one. I am very happy that I did and for the moment the Noctilux lives on my M9 although I expect that will wear off in time. It is a heavy lens but seemingly short so it's reasonably balanced and I hardly notice the weight although I am used to carrying a Pentax 67, which adds a whole new meaning to 'heavy'.:o

Pete.

sorry about that, pete, it works here. i'll try again.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/search.php?searchid=2775738

if no success, search for member helio, then click on Threads Started By: Helio.

i've attached one below (one of my favorites) to get previlo started.

kind regards

rick

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

Just to clarify, focus shift is an optical phenomenon inherent to fast lenses, unrelated to calibration problems, hinky mounts, or inconsistent performance. Mark, I know you know that, but others might not.

Oliver, here is an image shot yesterday using the Noctilux at f1 (taken on my MM, but the M9 would have rendered a very similar image). You can see the trademark signature, the shallow depth of field (even with a subject 15-18 feet away), and the bokeh that some love and some hate. I had to use a 6-stop ND filter in order to shoot wide open.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Here is a full-frame shot (again shot at f1) and then a very deep crop which clearly shows the signature of the lens at a micro level. Beyond the inherent narrow depth of field, the inability to correct the imperfections of such a fast lens shot wide open (particularly using 1970's-era technology) is largely what gives this lens its unique character.

The old Noct is never going to be as sharp as a 50 Summilux ASPH, a 50 Summicron, or the imminent 50 Summicron APO. But it's sharp enough when needed. Here is a shot, again taken wide open, which demonstrates reasonable sharpness.

For six months last year, as a deliberate exercise, I shot nothing but the Noctilux at f1 on my M9. It was a wonderful experience and I feel like I came away with a fairly good idea of how the Noct behaves. Here's a little something I wrote at the time...

Own the Night

Hope this helps...

• Like 5

Thanks for posting the link to your "own the night" essay - you make some interesting observations regarding the Noctilux.

Regarding focus shift and the 50/1.0 Noctilux, Xi consulted the repair techs at Leica NJ regarding this issue. They told me that it could be an issue with digital M cameras but that it was not a problem if you were using the lens with film based M cameras.

Your project of using the Noctilux exclusively for six months straight is an intriguing concept. I am considering embarking on a similar endeavor with my Noctilux. I shoot with it on a regular basis these days but there's nothing like using one lens exclusively for an extended period to learn the lens along with its capabilities and limitations.

I found that out with my Summicron 28 ASPH.

Thanks a lot to all who have replied/ provided feedback, that is very helpful.

Besides the existing comments, do you have any advice on what to watch out for, if buying a used Nocti?

Anything special/ well known to keep in mind (any hints of elements getting loose, how to spot them, etc.?)?