Leica M2 VF cleaning

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have bought the correct tools and am about to embark on some DIY Leica repair tonight ;-) I am just sick of waiting 2+ months and spending huge $$ each time I send a camera away. Plus, I kind of like the idea of being able to fix my 'tools' myself. Maybe silly but you only live once ;-)

Actually all that's needed is a bit of a VF clean. The glass is noticeably cloudy and duller than my M3. It's actually an M6 finder if that makes a difference.

The question is, can you actually clean the glass or is it all sealed? I'm just about to take the top off but thought I should actually confirm first that it can indeed be cleaned.

If it can, any recommendations? I was thinking just using a good lens cloth.

Thanks very much.

David,

Are you sure that it is not the mirror surfaces in the RF that need cleaning and/or re-silvering. I know mine in my M4 do. The RF patch is quite yellow with ragged edges. The fungus that did the damage has been killed off but the damage remains. In the UK that means a visit to CRR in Luton but in the USA I would guess it is DAG or Sherry Krauter.

Wilson

• Like 1

You can get at everything when the top is off David, and it is a quick and easy job with the right tools. I think you will only find out if anything else like the mirror's need cleaning by taking the top off, so you may as well.

Steve

• Like 1

My experience says it is very difficult not to get smearing with almost any liquid. I would only use pure iso propyl alcohol (not the 70% stuff from the pharmacy but electronic/instrument grade). Try to get as much dust off first with a rocket type blower and a super soft camel hair brush. Don't use a canned air aerosol, as they are usually a propane/butane mix and can leave staining on glass and do other damage.

Clean cotton buds may well be your best friend for cleaning hard to get at bits, after dipping in IPA and giving a good shake to get rid of the surplus fluid. To finish, if you have a small square of lens cleaning cloth, like you get with an iPhone or spectacles, you can cut bits off, then wrap the bits round a cotton bud, to finish clean a glass surface after liquid cleaning. Be very gentle with the silvered surfaces, the coating is extremely fragile and especially if there has been any fungus damage, it is easy to remove small areas of the silvering (been there and done that).

Wilson

• Like 1

Like Wilson I wouldn't use a lens cleaning liquid, but perhaps a sensor cleaning liquid designed for removing grease and oil if there are stubborn smears. Cotton buds or sensor swabs are good, but be careful not to drag grease onto the glass surfaces from the surrounding areas.

Steve

• Like 1

I just remembered that Visible Dust make things called corner swabs that are a super deluxe version of a cotton bud. Sensor cleaning corner swab. You may or may not feel these are worth the high price. I use them from time to time when I have a persistent spot in the corner of the M9's sensor, which is slightly difficult to reach with a normal sensor swab. They would give you more control than a cotton bud and would not leave hairs behind. As Steve says, sensor cleaner may be easier to get hold of than pure IPA. I would use Eclipse rather than Visible Dust, as it is far cheaper and in my experience, has a slightly smaller tendency to leave smears.

Wilson

• Like 1

use sagrotan. cheap and effective

I am assuming this is a joke. The Sagrotan I have seen in mainland Europe is lavatory/kitchen cleaner and also sold in the UK under the Dettol brand.

Wilson