Leica Prototype-X (50mm APO)

mardag

But I assume you're not going to replace your Nocti with it, right?

People say never sell a leica lens right? Then I might have to just ad a second 50mm to my only lens;) and then it´s the new M.......and MM. To many choices these days and future holes in the wallet!

it for sure seems sharp!

Based on the photos posted I can't say that the lens gives any sharper results than the 50 Asph. And imho the boke isn't very special at all. If anything, it is the same modern gentle blur that most modern Leica lenses give. Plus he seems to have missed the focus on all shots, except the one of the gentleman in the blue baseball cap, which makes it further (that is, in addition to the photos being tiny jpgs on the internet) difficult to gauge the purported exceptional sharpness wide open.

I still maintain that what Leica has done by releasing the 50 APO is to turn the 50 Asph into the world's most inexpensive best-performing lens. I await a proper test to revise my opinion.

• Like 3

Based on the photos posted I can't say that the lens gives any sharper results than the 50 Asph. And imho the boke isn't very special at all. If anything, it is the same modern gentle blur that most modern Leica lenses give. Plus he seems to have missed the focus on all shots, except the one of the gentleman in the blue baseball cap, which makes it further (that is, in addition to the photos being tiny jpgs on the internet) difficult to gauge the purported exceptional sharpness wide open.

I still maintain that what Leica has done by releasing the 50 APO is to turn the 50 Asph into the world's most inexpensive best-performing lens. I await a proper test to revise my opinion.

You´re right! It´s impossible to access sharpness of the lens on web images.

I guess my remark “seems sharp” is an anticipation/expectation of what the performance of that lens will look like. And also a collection of impressions from different people that has tested the lens/seen large prints, for example Jonos comments on DPI, commets on FM

Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread - FM Forums , published prints in LFI etc.

If you look at the development of sensor technology in particular Sonys sensor in the D800, which has put pressure on the whole market, challenging medium format(se comparisons with D800 and S2 Ming Thein, D800 and 40mp Hassy(Mikael Riesendal DP review) etc.) aslo se Erik Kaffers article on MF myths(regarding color accuracy for example though it can be discussed if accurate color is the most pleasent(I don´t think so!)):

MF Digital, myths or facts?

Particular strong features of the sony sensors are low readout noise due to AD converter sitting directly on the chip giving high DR(ca 14 stop) and massive detail in shadows, se fred miranda test:

Part II - Controlled tests

Hints of answer from Leica:

Full Frame DSLR Cameras Part III – New entrants and look forward | Technology Blog

“ While Leica has nowhere near the market share of Japanese FF camera companies, the transition to sub 0.18 µm device production is an event that could possibly alter the product roadmaps and strategies of several companies.“

Image Sensors World: Chipworks on Leica-CMOSIS-ST Full Frame Sensor and More

“The process has been adapted to 6um pixels and use 0.11um design rules for the front end of line (FEOL) processing and 90nm design rules for the BEOL. This is the most advanced process node among the full frame sensors vendors”

My guess is that Leica has a spectacular sensor on the way and is pairing that sensor up with the new 50mm APO which in combination will give spectacular results!

Getting medim format quality in a RF format is at least for me very attractive. The 50mm summilux is for sure still an exceptional lens but I anticipate that Leica will raise the bar further up with this new lens and sensor adding back pressure towards the competitors.

• Like 1