V-Elmar

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Luigi,

Perhaps when your lens is fake, it is more collectable !

I anticipated the situation and this morning I scanned the back part of my Elmar . . . quite rough, and I pushed the high lights to show you my lens is not fake, ha!

Now I am going to see how large the attachment can be. If you do not see the serial number, send me a pm with your email address and I will return a large file of this image . . .

You could consider scanning the rear of your lens too. I selected the lens in a preview scan, put a small carton box over it and scanned it at 800dpi . . .

Thanks !!! I see CLEARLY the s/n in your pic... let's say that if I DO find it on my item now that I know the position... I have no excuses on my blindness...

Nor had I, until I came across it here, in the database for enlarging lenses & their serial numbers . . . my 4.5 100mm is mentioned with a serial number range of this f4 100mm . . .

link is:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/Enlargers_and_Film_Processing

By the way, with the Focotar II 5.6/100mm Leitz changed the position of the serial number to the front, easily readable. No doubt because they redesigned the entire lens, including the matte ring in the rear part: it has become much thinner without any room for a number . . . mine is from 1976

Yes, the list is a bit strange ... there was probably written down wrong or misread...:D

even if the number of lenses have been built according to earlier, the delivery started for Focomat IIc with the new Focotar II 5,6/100mm in 1977 ..

regards,

Jan

Edited by telewatt

AH !!! YOU MADE MY DAY !!!

Ok... ther IS a number... so elusive that with a normal enlarging lens, under strong light, I finally did discover it...and couldn't decipher... :o

Put it on my modest old flatbed scanner and this, is for now, the best I could achieve, at 2400 dpi :

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Few dgits are readable... :mad: (2724644 ? it too would belong to a V Elmar f4, and one of the last, even...) I'll wait for the week.end to make something better... I even don't remember if I have a decent loupe at home... I'll surely try with my M8 with proper macro setup... that ring is really matte.

Thank you again, Machiel !!!

Edited by luigi bertolotti

V-Elmar 4/100mm ?!?......:confused:....such a lens I have never seen or heard of...

Jan

Edit:...

I once looked up briefly in the "Leica photography International" 3/1977, Focotar II 5,6 / 100mm was the direct successor to the V-Elmar 4,5 / 100mm ...and was offered from 1977....

After surfing and reading around... me too suspect that a V Elmar 4/100 indeed never existed... Puts' list describes the V Elmar 100 always as "40 100" right from the 1st batch starting 1691701... and didn't find any reference to a f 4 lens (apart our Wiki... :o) , nor any picture, or item for sale, or catalog listing...always the 4,5 with few variants (apparently, only the engraving, or not, of the OZOFA code on the barrel).

I found a page of a book (Leica darkroom Practice - Seck and Laney) which clearly writes that the 6x9 lenses for the Focomat were the Focotar 95 4,5, then the V Elmar 100 4,5, then the Focotar 2 100 5,6

Good to read your Elmar has got the s/n !!

When Jan remarked he had never seen or heard of this f4 version, I thought it was the same for me. I just believed the Wiki data. I then did the same as you, checked the net and also old 2C booklets, there's never mention of such a lens.

To make sure I will ask a friend who worked for the company at that time already, but we kind of know the answer.

Btw, some probably unnecessary advise: when switching lenses it is better not to just squeeze and move to either left or right. Squeeze and lift up, and then move and gently drop it down . . . It will make life of the cable longer. And, now and then, don't forget to put a drop of sowing machine oil in the holes, marked red . . .

After surfing and reading around... me too suspect that a V Elmar 4/100 indeed never existed... Puts' list describes the V Elmar 100 always as "40 100" right from the 1st batch starting 1691701... and didn't find any reference to a f 4 lens (apart our Wiki... :o) , nor any picture, or item for sale, or catalog listing...always the 4,5 with few variants (apparently, only the engraving, or not, of the OZOFA code on the barrel).

I found a page of a book (Leica darkroom Practice - Seck and Laney) which clearly writes that the 6x9 lenses for the Focomat were the Focotar 95 4,5, then the V Elmar 100 4,5, then the Focotar 2 100 5,6

Ok... ;) no enlarging lens, no scanner can equal my M8 + bellows + Elmar 90 3 elements lenshead... :)

2724644 as supposed, but now well clear...

Curiosly, in this picture it doesn't look engraved, but, on the contrary, relieved... I wonder if is really so or an effect of angle of lighting...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 years later...
On 9/6/2022 at 4:14 AM, Studienkamera said:

@luigi bertolotti, would you - or anyone else - happen to know the front diameter of the V-Elmar 100mm? I just bought one without lens cap and would like to organize a push-on lens cap before the lens arrives at my place. Thanks!

49mm