V-Elmar

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have just bought a V-Elmar 100 f 4,5 - enlarger lens (*) : I see in the Wiki that its production batches are normally reported in Put's... but I CAN'T FIND AT ALL a serial number engraved on it... can someone enlighten me about ?

(*) It wasn't a target of mine... :rolleyes: but happens that this morning I have taken a fly to Bruxelles for the first time in my life... reach downtown by bus, walk to my Hotel - almost randomly choosen on the Net... and what do I find 30 meters from it ? A photo shop with several used Leica gear on the display window !!! :)... a sign of destiny - no doubt - entered and took it... :o... is std. LTM 39 mount... I will see how it works as a macro on bellows)

• Like 1

Hello Luigi,

Congratulations.

A lens made for the 1970's Focomat IIc. This lens is designed to also cover 6cm X 6cm so using it with a 2.4cm X 3.6cm negative should give you a very nice image since the "sweet spot" of most Tessars is that central 1/3d.

Probably will be @ its sharpest @ F11 or thereabouts.

Best Regards,

Michael

• Like 2

Hello Luigi,

Congratulations.

A lens made for the 1970's Focomat IIc. This lens is designed to also cover 6cm X 6cm so using it with a 2.4cm X 3.6cm negative should give you a very nice image since the "sweet spot" of most Tessars is that central 1/3d.

Probably will be @ its sharpest @ F11 or thereabouts.

Best Regards,

Michael

Why was it designed to cover 6x6 when - as far I remember - the Focomat II covered

6x9 ?

Teddy

Hello Teddy & biglou,

Welcome to the Forum biglou.

The reason I wrote 6 X 6 instead of 6 X 9 is: Altho my 1968 dealer catalog says 6 X 9 the 1973 version says 6 X 6 for the 100mm lens & 6 X 9 for the 60mm lens.

When I give information I only write what I am sure is accurate. I don't know why the specifications were changed but I think it is better to use information that is not open to debate when providing data.

For example: The bright chrome plated Super Angulon 21mm, F3.4 has a depth of field scale that was somewhat compressed when Leitz had the bright chrome plating replaced with black. Was there an unannounced reformulation of the lens? I don't know. I would, for myself, use the newer more compressed markings when using both the earlier & later versions of the lens.

The stronger you build your foundation the better you can build your house.

Best Regards,

Michael

Hello Teddy & biglou,

The reason I wrote 6 X 6 instead of 6 X 9 is: Altho my 1968 dealer catalog says 6 X 9 the 1973 version says 6 X 6 for the 100mm lens & 6 X 9 for the 60mm lens.

When I give information I only write what I am sure is accurate. I don't know why the specifications were changed but I think it is better to use information that is not open to debate when providing data.

For example: The bright chrome plated Super Angulon 21mm, F3.4 has a depth of field scale that was somewhat compressed when Leitz had the bright chrome plating replaced with black. Was there an unannounced reformulation of the lens? I don't know. I would, for myself, use the newer more compressed markings when using both the earlier & later versions of the lens.

The stronger you build your foundation the better you can build your house.

Best Regards,

Michael

I used a Focomat IIc in the Army in 1968 and the lenses on were a 50 and a100, I used 6x9 films with the last one with GREAT results : prints were 1.50 x 1.00 meter.

(pictures were taken with an Angenieux 105mm)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

:) I remember well that there had been a discussion, probably some years ago, about this oddity in the SA 21... my idea was that, initially, they did "inherit" some slightly different DOF standard of Schneider (designer of the lens) origin...:confused:

Well... coming back to my V Elmar 100... I've found that it ought to be originally coded as OZOFA : wait for confirmation... I pretend to identify correctly my old gear... ;) (had it also a numerical code ? By sure, given the ages of production... but couldn't find it, at the moment) ; and I continue not to find any serial number on it... annoying...

Anyway, here is it : very simple construction, no facility to lighten the f stop scale (many "modern" enlarger lenses had it, incuding my old Rodenstock 50 of my very old Italian made enlarger), perfect conditions, perfect glass.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hello Luigi,

Nice photo.

Perhaps it might unscrew into front & back components as per a number of range/viewfinder coupled lenses that come apart for use on a Visoflex, etc.

Perhaps then you might find a serial number engraved, written, scratched or on a piece of tape inside on the optical portion of the assembly. Also possibly again on the mount portion.

Did you also look on the rear-facing portion of the aperture adjustment ring? Sometimes the serial numbers are not filled with a contrasting color.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

Hi Michael, and thanks for your hints : but this looks one of the most rock-solid assemblies I've ever seen : there are just 4 very little screws on the body exterior : two are visible in the above pic (right, next to the "GERMANY" engraving, the other to the left, at 120°), the other on the same ring, symmetrical, and another almost at the end of the barrel. All 4 look never touched : they are really very little - black - I'd swear none has ever loosened them after factory assembly, and I'm very hesitant to try loosen the above three ones : they are on the side of the front ring, which rotates to set closure , but the diaphragm in itself is much recessed into the barrel (supposed is a std Elmar design, the diaph, I'd say, is just in front of the last element) so I fear a lot about this "long" coupling...

And, damn, there is not a hell of a number anywhere... :( I hoped in some little unpainted engraving in the inner back part of the barrel ("Hektor 28 style") : nothing nothing nothing...

Edited by luigi bertolotti

Hello Teddy & biglou,

Hi Michael,

Thank you for the welcome.

I don't know what catalogs state (an error is always posible there) but i have and use a Focomat IIC and the two lenses, VElmar and Focotar II and also have a Focotar 95mm.

They all do cover 6x9 as negatives from brooks veriwide 100 are enlarged perfectly, corner to corner, and are a little bit longer than 90mm.

The focotar 60mm covers much less, not even 40mmx40mm, i think.

I don't know what catalogs state (an error is always posible there) but i have and use a Focomat IIC and the two lenses, VElmar and Focotar II and also have a Focotar 95mm.

They all do cover 6x9 as negatives from brooks veriwide 100 are enlarged perfectly, corner to corner, and are a little bit longer than 90mm.

The focotar 60mm covers much less, not even 40mmx40mm, i think.

So you have a lens like mine ? Does it looks like my above picture ? I found on the net an identical one, but with "OZOFA" engraved and white painted in the front ring, same lettering as "GERMANY". I have a 1968 catalog which indeeds describes the Focomat IIC 6x9 enlarger, equipped with this lens.

Ok... surfing on the Net at least I identified the part's code (not surprisingly, only available as a spare for the Focomat IIc... probably the same at the times of the OZOFA code)

:) I remember well that there had been a discussion, probably some years ago, about this oddity in the SA 21... my idea was that, initially, they did "inherit" some slightly different DOF standard of Schneider (designer of the lens) origin...:confused:

Hi Luigi,

That was in this thread: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-collectors-historica/117814-lens-numbering.html#post1253505

• Like 1

So you have a lens like mine ? Does it looks like my above picture ? I found on the net an identical one, but with "OZOFA" engraved and white painted in the front ring, same lettering as "GERMANY". I have a 1968 catalog which indeeds describes the Focomat IIC 6x9 enlarger, equipped with this lens.

Luigi, i cannot tell for sure as my VElmar is out of immediate reach, i stored it when i bought the Focotar II.

This lens and the 60mm were produced for many years and small changes in appearance occured, i am almost sure.

• Like 1

Test on the V ELMAR... M8 with bellows, jpg out of the camera - resized only -, of course no UVIR filter...

Comparision (2nd pic) with a lens of the same breed and similar age (Elmar 90 3 elements), both at f8

• Like 3