Sign in to follow this  
pwrdesign

I need help! M8 vs XPRO-1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well, I don't have them with my M9 either - nor with my M8u.

same thing happen to me, in confusing between Xpro-1 and M8.

used M8 cost same with new Xpro-1 many times i search for comparison but again leica is realy basic camera, if you find comparison you will always find worse overall result. Less feature and so on.

then i decide to buy M8 for longer term usage

Well I can only tell you that it is my favorite camera, the reasons are varied but all go in the same direction.

1st. And principal. It costs less than half that of the M9.

2nd. The quality and plasticity of the sockets, are practically the same as in the M9.

3rd. There is one more step in the shutter speed.

4th. Reduces vignetting in the lens angle.

4th. Photo reports remaining at all times.

5th. (Purely aesthetic) The bluing of the M8 is much more beautiful and durable than any other, M8.2 M9 M9P

Interesting thread this one. I can relate to some of the comments within.

I've got a 5D3 and whilst its the best techno gadget ever, its heavy and well.. I don't use it much. I feel like I have thousands of dollars tied up in something that I'm not getting my $ out of. I'm thinking of dumping it for a M8 and have found a great trade of a silver M8 with box plus a 28mm Elmarit 2.8 non ASPH for the 5D3 body. Then for those moments when a DSLR will only do, I'm thinking 60D or 7D used.

My first M8 went back for a refund because the shutter failed. I then got cold feet on them.

Given the M8 was discontinued in what 2009, does that mean the M8 upgrade to M9 (or M-E or ? ) offer should last 10 years past 2009 if my M8 dies and is unrepairable? Just thinking ahead should I get the M8 and it die on me. Be nice to know the $2000 odd this M8 is costing me, buys me into another body should I be unlucky.

Keep the x-pro-1, because it sounds like you already enjoy its handling and its file quality. No, it won't give you a Leica "feel" but neither will the M8 give you useful iso > 1600 or a warranty. Gear is gear, none of it perfect in all ways. If you were invested in M lenses and accustomed to M ergonomics and liked working with RAW/DNG files, the answer might be different.

Well, the trade is made and I'm happy as h*ll! The technical quality of the images is not as good as from the x-Pro1, but I enjoy taking photos again and that has resulted in alot of great shots.

// P

Edited by pwrdesign

Well, the trade is made and I'm happy as h*ll! The technical quality of the images is not as good as from the x-Pro1, but I enjoy taking photos again and that has resulted in alot of great shots.

Got one question though:

Found an old video on youtube showing that the discreet shutter mode was made possible after a firmware upgrade (3 of march 2009).

I've got a newer firmware installed but this dosnt work on my camera. Would be a great feature, since it feels pretty loud in some cases...

Does it have to be enabled in the menue?

// P

nice. good move! the M8 is very enjoyable to use. have fun!

so for the discreet mode, yes if you have a particular latest firmware installed---you go into the "Menu" settings and find one of the last settings written as "Advanced"....in there, select discreet mode.