I need help! M8 vs XPRO-1

pwrdesign

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well, I'll probably get about 1500 eur for the body + 18/2.0 + extra batt, and 500 more for the 35/1.4, thats 2000 euro.

A M8 body is about 2000 euro at least, and then I have to get a lens.

If I do the trade I get the camera (crome, mint cond external) handgrip (that I can sell if I want), extra battery and a leica 40/2.0 (not the best lens but good enough to start with)

... not THE but ONE OF THE best by sure : globally, sounds a good deal to enter the Leica world... :) : add some Euro and a bit of DIY job to arrange an UVIR filter for the 40 f2 (and be careful it HAS its hood, otherwise filter is really an issue)

The big problem atm is the vertical line due to dead pixel.

Photoshop, Lightroom, Pixelfilter cant remove it...

I dont want to trade this camera if I cant get it mapped out or the sensor replaced...

If I would send the camera to Leica, will they change the sensor? Even though its already been at remapping for 1 year ago?

Here is a 100% crop of the image. This line covers 95% of the image, from the bottom almost all the way up.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3381073/Slask/L1001215OLDFIXED.jpg

Edited by pwrdesign

It is likely they will have to replace the sensor. Remapping can only be done within a tolerance of the percentage of pixels ( all sensors are mapped from new and sometimes again later on, like this one.) Once the tolerance is reached the sensor must be replaced. I would not buy this camera unless at a much reduced price. There are plenty of flawless M8 and M8.2 cameras on the market. Why start out with a broken one?

Btw, if you want to remove the line, content aware healing in CS6 will do it. You can even make an action or droplet for it, as it will always be in the same place. (unless you crop ;))

Edited by jaapv

But do they replace the sensor for free, or will I have to pay for it?

Even though it is more than a year ago they had the camera for remapping?

I think I get it for a good price actually, handgrip, batteri 40/2.0 included, and in great condition external. So I'm in a way pretty interested, as long as the sensor can be replaced without a huge cost for me...

I know how to get rid of the line, but I'm getting the leica to just shoot, not fiddle in PS/lightroom... I do that all day long (working as a 3D-visualization artist / architecture photographer); when I use my Leica (maybe) I just want to shoot and share!

I'm Im not going through with this trade I will probably need to sell the X-Pro1, and that takes time, which I have not too much of atm :D

It would just be a smooth way of getting an M8

Edited by pwrdesign

Why don't you just call Customer Service in Solms and ask whether they charge for dead pixels? The telephone number is on the website.

Or do some serious haggling on the assumption you would have to pay and accept the windfall if you don't?

What would the international number be for leicas number? is it 0049 for germany?

Hm.. If i could get the Xpro sold quick I could order a M8 + CV 35/1.2 for 1800 euro + shipping.. maybe thats a better choise?

You have to decide for yourself. I would choose to buy a perfectly functional camera rather than one with a purple vertical line. Dealers may also carry some sort of warranty (90 days or so) on used equipment.

I just looked at your additional posted photos - more nice work. Several pictures appear to be of yourself. I assume your wife took those photos. Will she be comfortable using a rangefinder camera? My wife has a strong dislike for manual rangefinder focusing. I purchased an additional camera of her choice that she likes to use. Just something else to consider.

I assume the photos were taken with the X-Pro. The image quality is very nice. Photos are very sharp. Some of the colors are a little saturated for my taste (mostly in the 1st set). Overall, looks like you have a very nice set up.

Edited by lm_user

AHA !!! :) Compliments.... looks like my one, apart the tape on the red dot... :p

And the Summicron 40 COULD even be my former one... :cool:... I (stupidly) sold it time ago and the dealer who boughtit told me that sent it "abroad"... (I have deleted it from my records and can't verify the s/n)

Edited by luigi bertolotti

Yes Uruk! Or traded :) The warrenty after the last remapping still exists so ai can send it in if I want, did an action in photoshop that removes it though.

Good luck and have a lot of fun, I hope the Solms-guys can help you and your M8 - yes they can !

I believe in them.....

greetings