I need help! M8 vs XPRO-1

pwrdesign

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everyone!

I dont really know what to do and need your help :)

Long story short...

Been doing photography for about 10 years, started out with a Olympus OM1, after that a Hasselblad 500C, and after that a Canon 5D MKII which I've been using the last years.

When I got the 5D, I slowly started to loose the feeling of photography, and in a small sense also the happiness.

For about 6 months ago I decided to do something about it, and started to look for another camera... Didn't need to be a better camera, but another camera, that would make the photography fun again.

It didn't take too long time to realize that a Leica M9 would make me happy, and would take me back to actually creating something when taking photos.

I was really close to buy one, but it was really too much money for me, and I ended up buying a FujiFilm Xpro 1 with 18/2.0 and 35/1.4, it was cheaper, and the image quality was really good!

It has really made me to start enjoy photography again!

I've got it with me everyday, and I like it in many ways! I like the Optical Viewfinder, I like the image quiality at High ISO, I like the fact that the JPG's looks awsome, I dont want to mess around with the raw files, I want to create stunning photos with the camera. What I dont like is the fact that the MF is useless, since I have to switch to EVF, and the MF-ring is electrical, I dont like the feeling of it.

What's also good is the superb quality of the Fuji Lenses, great quality and not that expensive!

BUT, I'm not totally in loved with it, and I still dream about a M9 at night :(

Yesterday a friend of mine said: Why didnt you get a used Leica M8, that's the same price as a new XPRO-1...

I realised that I had'nt thought about the M8 at all, but after browsing the net I've found one for sale in sweden, with a Voightlander NOKTON Classic 35mm, 2 batteries, Leica strap, orginal half-case, B+W filter Digital MRC F-pro UV-filter.

And he's willing to do a trade against my XPRO-1 with one of my lenses.

So what do you guys think? I know that you probably would prefer the M8, and the guys on the XPRO-forum would probably prefer the XPRO-1, but I want to check anyway.

The M8 has some flaws indeed, but I feel that it might give me a decent image quality, AND the "feeling" that I'm looking for, with Manual Focus, optical viewfinder and so on...

Whats your suggestions?

pwrdesign, Welcome to the forum!

In ten years you have built up some experience with different cameras, but seem to dwell on the 'love' for a camera. If you have a strong desire for precise manual focusing, a Leica M has to be on your short-list. You have the advantage of being able to handle the M8 and that should confirm whether it is the camera for you.

Although falling behind the latest M developments, the M8 remains an excellent camera and offers the gateway to the use of many superb Leica (or alternative) lenses. Do understand the need for UV/IR filters with the M8. (Read the FAQs in the forum for the M8).

I cannot comment on relative financial values, but you will not be disappointed with the M8. Do check whether it has suffered from/been serviced for the Coffee Ring effect on the LCD. It is only cosmetic and will not impair your results. Search the forum for 'Coffee Ring' and Leica's current offer if presented for servicing.

These comments are based on my ownership of an M8 which I still enjoy using. Good luck with your choice.

Welcome to the forum !!!

As you say, here is DIFFICULT that someone does not advise you to buy a Leica... :), and personally I am a happy owner of a M8 (bought new 5 years ago)... with all the lenses I need (even MORE, to be sincere... but that's a long story....); and there is a GOOD chance that you enjoy the switch XPro1 to M8 if you decide to do : BUT... if you surf a little the forum, you will know that there is a specific issue regarding M8 : for a problem of parts sourcing, there is the possibility that if one has an electronic failure of a specific kind (it regards the LCD), Leica is no more able to repair it, period : they have established a "service policy" for those event : if Leica Customer Service dept. verifies that the failure is un-repairable, they offer a normally supported camera (as of today, M9 or M9P), with full warranty, at a certain (very good) price : the (few) known cases report of a cost that indeed, would be probably not so higher than the price for a electronics component repair (=exchange) + general CLA plus the buying of a 2 years warranty... but IS a not negligible expense, anyway : personally, should this event happen to my M8, I would CONSIDER seriously the offer, but can't say that I SURELY will accept it.

So... I don't pretend to give you a final advice... it seems that your XPro1 is your only digital camera... well equipped of lenses... probably still under warranty : using a Leica RF is another world but keep in mind what I wrote above (and, even in THIS forum... :cool:... the quality of Fuji files has been really appreciated)

I came to the M8 having shot Canon 1 series cameras for ten years. It was really a huge change, but one that has had a really profound effect on my shooting. Though it's been said many times, the M system forces you to shoot within certain constraints and by doing this it forces you to think more creatively. For me it has certainly worked. My favorite shots have been from the Leica system.

On another note, while you do need an IR blocking filter for color accuracy, the IR "bug" is actually a huge asset for black & white shooting, my preferred method. It draws out tonalities in an image that regular sensors would just render as plain black.

YMMV.

Check list:

1) Is ISO 1000 and below enough sensitivity for most things you shoot?

2) Is the M8 in excellent cosmetic and functional condition, and the shutter count not too high (search for threads on how to check this)?

3) Are you looking for an enduring tool, versus playing with the latest in electronic gadgets (not that that is a bad thing)?

If you answered yes to all three, I'd make the trade. Purely from a financial view, it is slightly to your benefit if he is including the lens. A year from now, that gap will grow, as Leica maintains value much better.

You should consider the purchase of a UV/IR filter, for sure, and maybe ask if the Capture One license has been exercised. You might even ask, if the current owner is the original owner, if they exercised the option of two free filters from Leica, available in some markets.

Have fun.

Eric

M8, no question.

the X-Pro 1 seems like a fine camera.....but the M8 is an experience....it's not just a camera, or just an appliance.....it doesn't have as much interesting technology and will cost you more in the long run (camera, lenses, accessories you will by to adorn it, etc) but it is far more satisfying to use.

i bought a Voigtlander 35mm to start off with as i couldn't afford more.....a great lens to start with....but you will find yourself addicted to 'lens hunting' soon after!

Edited by iedei

Never ever would i get myself an M8 again. If i get me a leica again it will be either the M or M9-p.

if you're going to make a statement like that on the M8 forum, you should probably give your reasons to WHY you are making it. Otherwise, it makes no sense.

• Like 3

I just had problems with them. The whole program:

- vertical line issue

- inaccurate rangefinder (had to be adjusted several times)

- occasional system lockups when shooting

- occasional sd card failures

Apart from that it really went on my nerves having to use cornerfix and these bloody IR-filters.

Edited by kafenio
  • Like 1

Hello everyone!

I dont really know what to do and need your help :)

Long story short...

Been doing photography for about 10 years, started out with a Olympus OM1, after that a Hasselblad 500C, and after that a Canon 5D MKII which I've been using the last years.

When I got the 5D, I slowly started to loose the feeling of photography, and in a small sense also the happiness.

For about 6 months ago I decided to do something about it, and started to look for another camera... Didn't need to be a better camera, but another camera, that would make the photography fun again.

It didn't take too long time to realize that a Leica M9 would make me happy, and would take me back to actually creating something when taking photos.

I was really close to buy one, but it was really too much money for me, and I ended up buying a FujiFilm Xpro 1 with 18/2.0 and 35/1.4, it was cheaper, and the image quality was really good!

It has really made me to start enjoy photography again!

I've got it with me everyday, and I like it in many ways! I like the Optical Viewfinder, I like the image quiality at High ISO, I like the fact that the JPG's looks awsome, I dont want to mess around with the raw files, I want to create stunning photos with the camera. What I dont like is the fact that the MF is useless, since I have to switch to EVF, and the MF-ring is electrical, I dont like the feeling of it.

What's also good is the superb quality of the Fuji Lenses, great quality and not that expensive!

BUT, I'm not totally in loved with it, and I still dream about a M9 at night :(

Yesterday a friend of mine said: Why didnt you get a used Leica M8, that's the same price as a new XPRO-1...

I realised that I had'nt thought about the M8 at all, but after browsing the net I've found one for sale in sweden, with a Voightlander NOKTON Classic 35mm, 2 batteries, Leica strap, orginal half-case, B+W filter Digital MRC F-pro UV-filter.

And he's willing to do a trade against my XPRO-1 with one of my lenses.

So what do you guys think? I know that you probably would prefer the M8, and the guys on the XPRO-forum would probably prefer the XPRO-1, but I want to check anyway.

The M8 has some flaws indeed, but I feel that it might give me a decent image quality, AND the "feeling" that I'm looking for, with Manual Focus, optical viewfinder and so on...

Whats your suggestions?

The M8 and M9 are not about the camera. It's about the m-lenses, this is what you will start to invest in if you purchase the M8. Do you want to shoot m-lenses with mf only, and should the camera be a digital one. If the answers to these question are yes, it's got to be a M8 or M9. They are still the best digital light boxes to mount m-lenses on.

I just had problems with them. The whole program:

- vertical line issue

- inaccurate rangefinder (had to be adjusted several times)

- occasional system lockups when shooting

- occasional sd card failures

Apart from that it really went on my nerves having to use cornerfix and these bloody IR-filters.

I have none of the above problems with my M8u

Most of them sound more like M9 problems....

• Like 4

Found a few more who's interested in a trade, but what does this mean? (is it a common problem):

"There are, as on pretty much every M8 with new firmware, visible dead pixels.

Though this is mapped the raw files, and if lightroom/photoshop is used, this is removed by the software."

Total nonsense. There are some cameras - general, it is not brand-related - out there, but it is not present on "pretty much every M8" nor does it bear any relationship to firmware. Cosmic radiation which is the cause does not care about the firmware, nor can it recognize a red dot.

The only thing is that the chance of a dead pixel increases with time, and these cameras have been in use for a number of years and that it is slightly less apparent on CMos sensors than on CCD.

Dead pixels can be mapped out by Leica, even to the point of replacing the sensor (sometimes free of charge) but I would avoid such a camera, especially if accompanied by such an "explanation".

Edited by jaapv

The biggest drawback ( if that is what one needs to call it ) is the possibility of no repair if the rear display fails. Otherwise everything else is repairable ( to the best of my knowledge ).

I own 2 M8s. Bought when they were introduced. The coffee stain issue has surfaced on one just now. Does not bother me. But I shall send it to Solms.

Otherwise both are as good now as the day I bought them new. Tens of thousands of shutter counts on each. been around the world multiple times.

Simply wonderful tools for me. The 10.3 mp is more than enough for my printing needs.

• Like 2