Part number for Summilux 50 caps

Adji.AP

The question of front cap is a bit complicated : there is one which is made to fit the hood when it is mounted reversed onto the lens, and the hood itself had two versions : 12521 (XOOIM) then 12586 : on both the cap alone was coded as 14037 (formerly OROBA); the back cap is the usual for M lenses - 14269

Maybe there is also a front cap made to be mounted without the hood (14036 - ORNIO)... there was an old thread about... http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-collectors-historica/17128-cap-50-lux-i-hood-xooim.html

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 1

The XOOIM is for version I

here for illustrating are 2 kind of caps

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 7 years later...

Sorry to restart an old thread.

Did the 14036(F?) - ORNIO cap for the summilux 50 v1 without XOOIM hood really exist? The linked thread does not actually contain evidence (@Luigi, you posted a catalogue page showing the 14037G, maybe you have another one showing the ORNIO?).

Also, I assume there is no cap for the XOOIM hood of the v1 mounted in "normal" position, right?

Thanks,

Matteo

Apparently ORNIO - 14036 DID exist (was cheap, too...) according to 1964 catalog.  Not common... lens was supplied with XOOIM and its cap.

No image... but from description ought to be identical to the very common 14031, a bit wider. Anyway, one for sale on ebay :

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Leica-E43-chrome-front-lens-cap-for-50mm-f-1-4-Summilux-lens-E43-version-/293038639958 (not original)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

And I'm rather sure that no front cap for XOOIM mounted exists... it's completely conical - not cylindrical end as others, so no good fit for a cap.

Edited by luigi bertolotti

Thank you, Luigi.

About the ORNIO 14036, I find it interesting that the catalogue specifies that it fits the lens flange, not the hood. I wonder how many people wrongfully ordered the item only to discover this fact, before they added the note to the catalogue 😃

Regarding the front cap for XOOIM mounted, indeed it seems difficult to make one that fits and stays in place. Once the pandemic is over and I have regular access to a 3d printer, I'll see if I can design one, perhaps a "push" cap similar to the "back" one (OROBA 14037).

Thanks,

Matteo

20 minutes ago, rionda said:

Thank you, Luigi.

About the ORNIO 14036, I find it interesting that the catalogue specifies that it fits the lens flange, not the hood. I wonder how many people wrongfully ordered the item only to discover this fact, before they added the note to the catalogue 😃

Regarding the front cap for XOOIM mounted, indeed it seems difficult to make one that fits and stays in place. Once the pandemic is over and I have regular access to a 3d printer, I'll see if I can design one, perhaps a "push" cap similar to the "back" one (OROBA 14037).

Thanks,

Matteo

Well.. about the first observation : when a customer bought a Summilux it was always delivered with hood and its cap... the product code always included them.. if he whished to order another cap, I think it was clear to him that was a different one.

And indeed, making a 3D design for a right front cap for XOOIM mounted can be an interesting job... 😉...I think is better to rely on material with a certain grade of elasticity, constant with temperature... the problem is that the OROBA (excellently made, as all the Summilux) makes use of the 4 push/activated (and spring retained) inserts at the base of the XOOIM to stay firm onto the reversed XOOIM (*)  (there are two sets of 4 inserts, one for securing XOOIM reversed on the lens, the other to secure the cap) : and this is a facility that isn't present on the front "mouth" of the XOOIM.

(*) indeed, never happened to me to lose the cap... and is over 30 years I have it... the front cap of the hood of my Summicron 35 asph went lost after 3 years... 🙄

• Thanks 1