Found a new Nocti

Edward77

Advertisement (gone after registration)

"Just imagine a subject that can not move for 5 sec so you can can focus it..."

-----

I would disagree with the above. Dynamic shots are possible, especially with some practice.

These were all taken @ f/0.95:

Peter.

P r o s o p h o s

Tis the Devil's work! Begone Beelzebub with your un-Holy focussing prowess. Witch! Witch! His finger's are possed of Satan!

Pete

• Like 4

Tis the Devil's work! Begone Beelzebub with your un-Holy focussing prowess. Witch! Witch! His finger's are possed of Satan!

Pete

Ha.

I think the only trouble with this lens in that regard, or for any manual focus lens shot wide open, is that people assume it can't be done, or is too difficult, so don't try it for fear of making mistakes. Don't take the time to practice and stick with it. Don't ride through the mistakes and missed shots to begin with to get to the promsed land. Ha. Spend enough time doing anything and you will get better at it. Spend alot of time on it and you will master it. Keep your camera by your side and shoot everything for a couple weeks and you will make massive progress. Just practice focusing the thing quickly even. It really is like an instrument in that regard.

• Like 2

Agree with Peter.

For me it was all about the distance. If the subject is sitting still you can get up to the 1M focus distance.

For more fluid situations .. I would give my self a little more distance or stop down. Certainly a learning curve with the lens but not as hard as many imply.

I bought an f0.95 Noctilux earlier this year and sold it after about 2 months.

No problems mastering the focus and shallow DOF. I just didn't like the weight and bulk, very un M-like. I'm also not a fan of the excessive bokeh and all the flaring and purple fringing when shooting into the light.

I guess a major issue one faces with this lens, is that after you've spent the +$10, 000.00 on it, you're going to make sure you use it all the time, warts and all.

I'm so pleased to have the 50mm f1.4 Summilux ASPH back on the camera, it's such a wonderful lens, I don't miss the Noctilux at all and have never regretted selling it.

• Like 3

Pete

Thanks for the laugh :).

Okay, I'll admit, it's sometimes an exercise in frustration... but it is possible to get dynamic shots and certainly worth it if one nails a suitable image at f/0.95.

One of the reasons I'm still not sure if I'll keep this lens is the weight and size issue (the 1m minimum focusing still bothers me too)... I agree with the poster who commented that the girth of this lens is very un-Leica-like.

Peter.

Many valid points being made here, but always negative one's, as though the Nocti were the only 'imperfect' lens. Just like all other lenses it also has it's virtues. It takes experience to categorize the 'good' and 'bad' aspects, as with any lens. frankly, I think I am taking longer to 'sort out' my 50 cron than I ever did with the Noct. But that could be one of my faults. ;)

The Noct remains a tool of choice, not a panacea.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So I have just stumbled across a brand new Noctilux in stock.

What should I do??

I am far from a pro but love the leica experience. I have a 35 lux and 50 summarit, i use both but more often the 35 in the evenings. I personally prefer the framing on the 50 when snapping people.

Is it worth it?? Or is it just too big and am I getter off with the new ASPH 50?

What camera(s) will you use it on? Digital or film? Or both?

What will your subject matter be?

What will the lighting be like?

What look do you Want to create?

Think carefully about these questions and answer them for yourself. The answers will get you a good way down the path to making the right decision.

If you shoot film, the hyper speed of f/0.95 will be more useful in low light than if you are using an M9, Monochrome M or the new M. With the digital M cameras, you don't truly need f/0.95 because you can crank up the ISO - especially with the M/M which goes up to ISO 10,000.

With either a film or digital M, the 0.95 Noctilux will give your images a fingerprint that will be decidedly different than any other lens. The 50/1.4 will come close in terms of bokeh and shallow depth of field. Close but no cigar, as they say.

The 0.95 Noctilux should do (pretty much) anything that the 50/1.4 lens will do as they are both ASPH lenses with floating lens elements - but the 0.95 lens is bigger and heavier. Will that extra size & weight be like an anchor around your neck or will you become accustomed to the extra bulk & weight? The weight and size of the Noctilux would irritate the hell out of some people. If you suspect that you are one of those, get the 50/1.4, avoid the frustration and save yourself 4403 GBP ($7000 USD).

The 50 Summarit you already own figures into the equation too. If you have it along with the 0.95 Noctilux, you will have all the bases covered at 50mm: A lightweight, small all-around 50mm and the specialized although highly capable and flexible tool that the Noctilux is.

If you are happy with the 50 Summarit and intend to keep it, the Noctilux would make a great "big brother" for it. If you plan on selling or trading the 50/2.5 and going with just one 50 mm lens for all purposes, the 50/1.4 would be a great choice. Yes you can use the Noctilux as your only 50, but if is not light and fast like the smaller 50s are. This may be an issue for certain types of shooting situations.

Another can of worms to think about is the 50/2 APO Summicron - although you do not mention this lens as one that you are interested in.

I tend to think of the 50/1.4 and the 50/2 (and the 50/2.5) as lenses that I would choose if I were to have only one 50. I think of the Noctilux as being a second 50, to be backed up by a smaller, lighter 50 for all-around use. That's just my thought process regarding 50mm lenses, though. It makes sense to me but maybe it doesn't add up to someone else.

All the above is intended as food for thought - in the end, only you can make this decision.

Edited by Messsucherkamera
  • Like 1

So....I wonder if you have purchased your Nocti 0.95 yet....and, if so, how it works for you?

I have had mine (and no other lens) on my M9 for ten months (since purchase) and have used it happily on an almost daily basis. I shoot a lot of landscapes and find it phenomenal for that, but have also used it for portrait work, including with children being dynamic as they will. It IS a heavy unit but I found I adjusted to that even though I walk fairly long distances carrying the camera and lens, a good strap helps with this, I use an Artist & Artisan plaited silk one. The focusing situation, which is so often mentioned, I've never had a moments problem with...don't know why.

Before I purchased this lens I played the should I or shouldn't I game for a few days too. Obviously in the end I did and despite it's eccentricities it has so much character that I wouldn't be without it for the world...it is a lens for life, for me anyway....so good luck with your decision!

Edited by platypus
typo
  • Like 1

Many valid points being made here, but always negative one's, as though the Nocti were the only 'imperfect' lens.

Just like all other lenses it also has it's virtues. It takes experience to categorize the 'good' and 'bad' aspects, as with any lens. frankly, I think I am taking longer to 'sort out' my 50 cron than I ever did with the Noct. But that could be one of my faults. ;)

The Noct remains a tool of choice, not a panacea.

Are there any "perfect" lenses? I have my doubts that there are.

Any object designed and produced by humans is probably not perfect, given how deeply flawed we humans ourselves are.

That's not to say that some M lenses aren't damn close to perfect, though.

I haven't taken the plunge as yet. I have been reading the posts with interest however.

I think I need to borrow a lens and spend a day or at least a few hours with it. I really to like the Nocti photos and think they stand out from other lenses IMO. If I just want to snap for quick 50mm shots then I still really like the 50 s/rit as it's light and small.

I am away for 2 weeks now so perhaps I will let fate decide as if it's there when I'm back I'll take it. I also want to change the M9-P for an M and Monochrome so if the Monochrome comes up first i'll take that.

Thanks for all the comments.

Any Hong Kong users here?

Fate can be a cruel mistress - particularly when pursuing the ever elusive Noctilux.

Someone else may have mentioned this, but it bears repeating: If you buy the Noctilux and find that it just isn't for you, you can resell it and recover most of your investment if you keep it in pristine condition with the original box, papers and case.

If you get the lens and decide to sell it, selling strategy is critical. If you wait a while, there will inevitably be price increases. If you hang on to the Noctilux until one or two price hikes have come to pass, this will help you I recovering your investment.

"Just imagine a subject that can not move for 5 sec so you can can focus it..."

-----

I would disagree with the above. Dynamic shots are possible, especially with some practice.

These were all taken @ f/0.95:

[ATTACH]346053[/ATTACH]

-

[ATTACH]346054[/ATTACH]

-

[ATTACH]346055[/ATTACH]

-

The Noctilux 0.95 is a remarkable lens with three important shortcomings: it's expensive, it's heavy, and the minimum focus distance is 1m. If you can overlook these things, it's worth giving it a try.

I've owned it for just over a month, and I'm not sure I'll hold on to it, but I do recognize it as a special lens.

Peter.

P r o s o p h o s

That first shot is incredible!

Personally, I prefer the f1 but it's the same story - long focus throw, blocks viewfinder, is big and heavy etc

And then you see images that are out of this world taken with these beasts - straight out of the camera and it's all worth it

Example -> 8086156795_88ace0217c_c.jpg

Edited by TheGodParticle
adding image
  • Like 1

So I went into Mayfair today and spent an hour with the Nocti and the Monochrome. Both so beautiful.

Now it's just if I want to spend another £13k on top of my current £11k investment in a M9-P, 35lux and 50 s/rit.

I think the MM is a stunning camera as is and the nocti just makes such a pure combo.