Old 3200 120 film

rjltrevisan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello, I bought some Ilford Delta 3200 that expired in 2002/2003, one Konica SR-V 3200 expired in 1989, one Konica SR-G 3200 expired in 1998 and one Kodak PMZ Pro 1000 expired in 1998.

I've never used expired film before, so what cautions and special care should I take, besides keeping them cold? Should I expose them differently? Should I develop them promptly after exposing? Should I take them to a special lab? Anything else?

Thanks!

There's only one important precaution: on no account use any of these films to take any photograph that you can't easily and cheaply re-take.

Even if I was sure that they'd been in the freezer since they were manufactured (15 to 25 years ago!) I wouldn't rely on them for anything important.

It's a literal 'crapshoot'!

In order to use expired film properly you either have to had purchased a lot (brick is what we used to call it) and properly stored the film and have been using to ascertain the effects of aging or purchase a lot(Emulsion #) and test a roll or rolls because you don't have any idea how stored. To assess fogging and other changes you should also compare to fresh film exposed and developed.

Frankly I would dispose of them and purchase fresh film in a lot and store yourself and use.

It's the only way I work.-Dick

Extra high speed film which is expired for a long time is ready for the waste.

Apart from a very high base fog level the whole contrast will be very poor.

Delta 3200 film is already foggy after two years over the expiration date and if you do not know the storing conditions which should be in the fridge or freezer it is already completely crap. Only slow- and medium speed films you can keep for a longer time (10 years) over the expiration date when putting it in a freezer in a zip-lock bag.

In the past interesting for e.g. APX 25 (Agfa) and now for the recently discontinued Efke 25-50 (Fotokemika) films.

Greetz,

Robert