M6 classic

jip

Experimentation is an important part of photography. You will find some black and white films are formulated for processing in C-41. Others are processed in a more traditional manner. Many of us on the forum have been involved in photography for years and have been through the changes from the implementation of meters actually in the camera up and through the digital age. There is a lot of information being tossed at you and there is a lot to learn. Don't be afraid of mistakes because you will learn from them. Keep the passion and most importantly, have fun.

• Like 3

I won't be developing the film myself for now (haha) but I'll learn this in the course I'm going to follow.

Hi,

Developing traditional B&W film is really simple, and you need minimal equipment to do it. There's a very good beginners guide on the Ilford website. Might be worth reading up even if you don't try it until the course, as you'll know what to expect.

Your C41 film is the same process as colour negative film. 'Traditional' B&W film uses different chemicals and are less critical with regards to temperature. If you're not doing your own processing then C41 is probably easier, but I prefer the look of film such as FP4 and HP5.

With your first few films just experiment a bit. You have a lot of exposure latitude with B&W film. You might also want to read up on filters for B&W film and try one or two.

• Like 1

Today I'll be going out to Arnhem, I'll go round my favorite shops and stores and ask if I can take pictures, this might be a fun and interesting way to test the M6. I'll be bringing the 50mm Summicron-M and 35mm Summicron-M ASPH

The M6 is loaded with Kodak BW400CN (colour processable film C-41)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've got it set at 320 at the moment, I'll see how that goes. Then the next roll I'll try to set it to 200 :)

You might not notice much difference between these two settings because the lattitude or tolerance of film is quite wide. Also, you'll never really know where you are with the "reflective" meter of your camera. Read up on the theory of reflective vs incident metering. Setting 320 or 200 on an incident meter has more validity than setting it on a reflective meter. For example, with a reflective meter, suppose you get reading X of a scene and your subj is strongly back lit. You take the photo and the subj is a bit dark. This hasn't told you anything regarding how "right" your iso setting on the meter is for the film in use. What I'm saying is, with reflective meters other variables are introduced. Buy a Seikonic 308 incident meter and you'll really start learning about light; the theory will just click and it's theory that you'll value for the rest of your photographic career.

Pete

It has a slight problem with the viewfinder, the focus patch focusses okay, but the image I see in there is vertically slightly off, horizontally not, this is why I can still focus okay, but it makes it harder in low light conditions. Plus I'm letting the M6 being 'upgraded' with some sort of filter, so the flare problem gets resolved.

All this will cost me about 300 euro ex VAT (I can reclaim the vat with my company)

I won't do it just jet, I like to use it too much to give it away now haha. I haven't seen any results yet, I hope those won't disappoint... if they do, it's obviously because of me. But that can be demotivating.

jip...we're always moving in parallels! we got our M8s around the same time....and now you just got an M6 and i've just ordered an M5 (yesterday) :)

YES!! We are, although I sold my M8 got a M8.2 and also bought a M9 meanwhile haha. I should slowdown now...