Remote trigger for Analog Leicas??

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am looking for something which i can trigger my M6 or voigtlander R4M with.

Not a cable release or a selftimer like a Autoknips.

Is there something that I can use, say if I wanted to walk up a hill, leaving my camera behind on a tripod and take a picture from atop the hill?

Please help me, thank you

Overpriced, limited range, and will still require a bit of modification:

REMOTE ALL Wireless Remote for ALL cameras! - byMaC Inventions

or this: http://www.kapturegroup.com/kap_htmls/electronic_cable.html

Indeed, there should be a simpler, smarter and less expensive device.

Aside - An M9 can be triggered by a Mac laptop anywhere that a data signal can reach via an iPhone. But that doesn't help you. It might help someone else.

Edited by pico

Have you tried the RemoteAll? My guess is that the collar around the M shutter button will block it.

The second one should work fine, but 900 $??:eek:

I would not buy the RemoteAll because for that money I could build my own from radio control parts, and I already have a transmitter. I just don't do enough remote work to justify putting money into one more project.

To make the RemoteAll work, all one would need is to use a softie release or something like it.

My remote control garden railway steam engine uses servos to open the regulator etc, should be relatively easy to make a frame to hold a servo over the release button.

Gerry

It might be better to push a cable release with a linear push solenoid so that it does not have to be on the camera body.

Ledex is my favorite provider of solenoids. I have a few, one to work the shutter in a research sky camera, as well as functional Graflex linear pull solenoids which can be made to work. But I am not tempted to take on a remote for a Film M. The new M will have a far more accommodating port.

For the OP - and I don't mean to joke, but a cost effective alternative is what I call the intelligent remote release - a friend to trigger the camera.

It might be better to push a cable release with a linear push solenoid so that it does not have to be on the camera body.

snip

Yes, I thought that after posting, then it would work with any camera with a standard cable release socket.

Gerry

Thank you for the input. Maybe the solenoids is the way to do it.

It just really wierd that there isn't a simple and affordable solution:confused:

This isn't exactly simple, but wasn't too expensive either. I built an infra-red trigger for my R8;

IR Trigger

The earlier mention of using a Mac laptop is worth further consideration. It wouldn't be too hard to rig it up to detect motion and take the pic by itself.

If you were to tell us more about what you're wanting to do we might be able to work out the ideal solution. Being from Copenhagen probably means you're not a budding Taliban dude looking for clues on building an IED. They probably wouldn't want to use an M9 as part of the trigger either - something to do with not liking images ....

• Like 1

This isn't exactly simple, but wasn't too expensive either. I built an infra-red trigger for my R8;

IR Trigger

The earlier mention of using a Mac laptop is worth further consideration. It wouldn't be too hard to rig it up to detect motion and take the pic by itself.

If you were to tell us more about what you're wanting to do we might be able to work out the ideal solution. Being from Copenhagen probably means you're not a budding Taliban dude looking for clues on building an IED. They probably wouldn't want to use an M9 as part of the trigger either - something to do with not liking images ....

I am looking for a wireless and cordless trigger to fire the shutter.

No wires

No cables

just a handheld trigger that I can use if i want to step back, say 10,20,30 meters and fire the shutter.

IR Trigger

your contraption seems to have several cables...

Hello Augost,

Welcome to the Forum.

In the 1980's/1990's Minolta made just what you are looking for. It was a small handheld infrared emitting device which keyed a small receiver that fit into any standard cable release socket. Not just Minolta cameras. I've used 1. It works just the way you want it to. I don't know the maximum efffective range or model number.

Best Regards,

Michael

Hello Augost,

Welcome to the Forum.

In the 1980's/1990's Minolta made just what you are looking for. It was a small handheld infrared emitting device which keyed a small receiver that fit into any standard cable release socket. Not just Minolta cameras. I've used 1. It works just the way you want it to. I don't know the maximum efffective range or model number.

Best Regards,

Michael

Michael, I think you are referring to the famous Minolta IR-1

Here's a link to the manual: http://www.vikenk.com/manuals/minolta_wireless_controller_IR_1.zip

It is possible to screw it into any threaded cable release, but as far as i remember it only worked properly when very little mechanical force was needed - I think this was also the reason Minolta specified it only for use with cameras with magnetic shutter systems.

But it might be worth a try?

Georg

• Like 2