Abandoning DMR for new M?

bcorton

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Is anyone considering selling off his or her R8/DMR or R9/DMR for the new M and R adapter?

I have to admit I'm tempted. While I love my R9/DMR, I often feel hobbled by the low light capabilities of the three R lenses I have (21-35 f3.5, 35-70 f4.0, 80-200 f4.0). There is also the DOF issue. And the batteries aren't what they used to be.

I have two film Ms and many M lenses. I would love to be able to use the nocti, the luxes, and the crons digitally. But the only way I could afford/justify the acquisition of a digital M is by selling something—or some things. It's tempting to sell the R9/DMR outfit (maybe keep the 80-200), and pick up the M. Is anyone in a similar quandary?

cheers,

Brent

I think that DMR sets will probably lose much of their value in the next years... for the simple reason that, even if working fine, a possible failure will become at very high risk of unreaparability...

Given that, AT THE MOMENT, the few items for sale still can apparently fetch good money (see here... https://www.leicashop.com/vintage/chrome-dmr-set-p-1664.html) , and that you own a pair of zooms which you seem not so tied to (but can be of interest for people in sight of the M) , I think that yours can be a very good strategy to finance a good part of a new M... :)... and, probably the 80-200 is one of the best lenses to keep also in sight of the M itself.

P.S. : just my opinion : I am NOT a DMR owner.

• Like 2

The new M is tempting, but I'm going to sit tight and let others determine the suitability for R telephoto and macro use.

If reports on the use of production M's aren't positive in a couple of months, I figure that there will be enough DMRs for sale in good working order that I can buy one if mine fails. If the M is a good solution, I'm prepared to take a hit in the price that I'll be able to sell my DMR for. Either way, I expect to stay with a Leica digital camera body.

dgktkr

Hi There, I also own a R8/R9 + 1x DMR, until the "Error code 2", did strike ( suddenly ) .. and sending an email to LEICA did result, DMR's with error Code 2, can't be repaired anymore.. :confused:

Hence.. I am only cleaning the DMR since then... and it is worth NOHTING anymore.. ( did not find any not working DMR's which were to be sold )

though I would have never ever sold it.. ( if still working.. ) probably also not now..

despite the fact it does not work anymore, due to "error code 2" .:(

Martin

I'm wondering if I should collect broken DMRs for spare parts so I can keep mine working.

Pity nobody seems economically able to overhaul them, the market is too small.

The idea of removable back was good and with eventually a better new sensor...

Certainly someone out there can fix it? Please Please Please respond!

How about some of our experienced USA repair personnel. I have one that's not broken yet so it important to start collecting the necessary parts. Have you tried cleaning the contacts,etc... charging the batteries, rebooting with the on button off and taking the battery out. Taking out the SD card. Don't push the buttons too quickly once it turns on, so it can finish out the start up commands.

Lastly, pray for a miracle!:(

Error Code 2 requires a replacement of the motherboard, which I had done, I think for about US$1,200. It failed during a January 2010 trip to the Falkland Islands and the Atacama desert, ititially being intermittant and then failing altogether. Theoretically, if a person who knows enough about electronics has a schematicf of the motherboard he or she could troubleshoot the board and perhaps replace parts, if the faulty parts are available "off the shelf."

Error Code 2 requires a replacement of the motherboard, which I had done, I think for about US$1,200. It failed during a January 2010 trip to the Falkland Islands and the Atacama desert, ititially being intermittant and then failing altogether. Theoretically, if a person who knows enough about electronics has a schematicf of the motherboard he or she could troubleshoot the board and perhaps replace parts, if the faulty parts are available "off the shelf."

I have a similar situation with a Nikon LS9000 scanner that "requires a motherboard replacement". Fortunately I have been able to diagnose the faulty component and have obtained the replacement part. I'm now looking for a company that can replace the 64pin surface mount package for me.

In most cases a repair can be effected by replacing a faulty component rather than a complete board. But you do need the know-how and schematics. With the DMR a complication could be the component may require programming/firmware which even Leica or the OEM may not be able to do anymore.

Bob.

I'm wondering if I should collect broken DMRs for spare parts so I can keep mine working.

You and me both.

These error code 2s are surely repairable. It's just a matter of getting down to the component level. Sure, replacing surface mount components isn't something a tractor mechanic can do with an oxy torch, but it's not that hard. Do we have any intel on which component is failing on the DMR motherboard?

The thread below recorded my hamfisted but ultimately successful repair of an R8 motor drive and battery pack, by replacing a number of components, some blown up by my own 'in-expert tinkering'. Keeping these things going is clearly do-able.

A Leica + a screwdriver = hours of fun.

So far, my friend has repaired 4 DMR units, mine continues to work perfectly and my repaired battery lasts around 400 shots. I won't be selling mine at all, I only have the single 28-70 zoom for it but that is fine for when I decide to take her out for a blow out.

They are repairable, I am fortunate to know a very clever electronic designer who is also a camera fan so over the years we have repaired many and built many together.

Like most Leica products, they are built to last and with a little maintenance they will run for years. Mine is like an old Jag, happy to say she is purring like a kitten and the IQ, as we all know, is stunning.

Keep your DMRs, it's slowly becoming a cult group, we can all meet once a year and sing at the moon.

• Like 8

Thanks for your post. Is your friend open to repair requests:)? You can PM me or share with the entire forum. Is there a common problem on the electronic board with the 4 DMR units he has repaired? Any information will be helpful to all DMR users.

So far, my friend has repaired 4 DMR units, mine continues to work perfectly and my repaired battery lasts around 400 shots. I won't be selling mine at all, I only have the single 28-70 zoom for it but that is fine for when I decide to take her out for a blow out.

They are repairable, I am fortunate to know a very clever electronic designer who is also a camera fan so over the years we have repaired many and built many together.

Like most Leica products, they are built to last and with a little maintenance they will run for years. Mine is like an old Jag, happy to say she is purring like a kitten and the IQ, as we all know, is stunning.

Keep your DMRs, it's slowly becoming a cult group, we can all meet once a year and sing at the moon.

Let me guess - his name is Mark Norton? :)

The battery replacement is possible since Leica found a German firm that will replace the cells inside of old DMR batteries. As to the rest of the service you had, that's pretty standard for Leica. Please note that you probably did not have any parts replaced, at least on the DMR.