Leitz 90mm Summicron-M E55 Pre-ASPH focus shift wide open on M9

mosier

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey guys,

I picked this lens up back in July and promptly had to send it into Leica NJ where after 2 months they replaced the helicoid and one of the elements. I received the lens back, but noticed that the lens was back focusing quite a bit wide open. The guys at Nippon confirmed this and sent it back to Leica noting the issue. Another month and a half later I received the lens and they changed absolutely nothing. Shooting wide open I line up the image in the viewfinder, take the shot and it's soft. Once I stop down to f/4 the lens is perfect. Is this a common issue with this model? Is there somewhere else in NYC I can take the lens to get it tuned to shoot wide open? I love the look of this lens, but this is driving me a little nuts.

Thanks!

This has nothing to do with focus shift. It only sharpens up at 4.0 because of DOF. It sounds like something is out of adjustment with the focussing, and given that the lens was in NJ twice already it appears to me that it is likely to be the camera, not the lens. What other lenses do you have? Do they focus absolute correctly?

If you are fed up with the slow turnaround on your gear, use an independent and have him check over your complete set.

I think I might not be describing the issue correctly. I do know how to focus the lens =) My 50 Lux ASPH and 35 Cron ASPH are dead on. The rangefinder was adjusted when I got the lens and noticed the problem. This is not related to DOF. I have to front focus the lens about 2mm at f/2 after I've lined up the image in the VF in order for the subject to be in focus. This does not happen with my other 2 lenses. Does that make sense?

Thanks!