50mm 1.4 Summilux Aspherical - Oily Aperture Blade

sangholee.us

Here are few pictures

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Migration of excess to the glass is the only concern I would have on a manual rangefinder lens that is used regularly. I have seen old lenses long stored where the blades got "glued" by oil residue so the diaphragms wouldn't move.

It's on auto-diaphragm SLR lenses where oil on the blades means sluggish operation is a real concern, which isn't a problem on Leica M lenses.

I recently had it on mine.

After a short time I noticed tiny spots on an inner element that was probably oil splatter.

Sent it off to Clean, Lube and Adjust.

I am told it is a problem with heat or high temperatures.

I saw this on a number of occasions when working for a camera retailer. The lubricants used on aperture blades is a dry lubricant. Exposure to excessively high temperatures causes the lubricant to change state and take on the appearance of oil. A CLA is the solution to this problem.

I talked to one of the tech guys at Leica NJ about this issue a month or so ago. He said that the maximum operating temperature for Leica M lenses is 140 fahrenheit or 60 celsius.

Below that, Leica lenses should be able to withstand heat.

This type of heat damage is most commonly caused by leaving camera gear in a car during the summer. The passenger area of a car overheats quickly in hot weather - the glass in the windows act like a greenhouse and can cause interior temperatures in cars to exceed 140F/60C in short order. The trunk of an auto overheated quickly, too and can also exceed temperatures that are safe for cameras and lenses. Camera bags offer little to no heat protection for cameras and lenses; they serve to only to slow down the overheating of camera equipment.

Here are a couple of websites that address auto overheating during the summer months -

Cars develop killer heat, even on cooler days - health - 05 July 2005 - New Scientist

and -

How Hot Do Cars Get?

During hot weather, I will either take my camera bag with me rather than leave it in the car or I will put it in an ice chest with three or four frozen blue icepacks. This keeps the temperature in the ice chest in the low 70s to high 80s fahrenheit range, depending on outside temperature and whether or not the car is parked in shade or direct sunlight.

Edited by Messsucherkamera