Just bought M8.2 with Coffe Stain on LCD

Pablo LeicaM8

• 1 month later...

Let me tell you a very long story, but very interesting...

When accessing the manufacturer's website to register Camera and Lens, I succesfully registered the lens, but I could not be register the camera because it was registered by the previous owner.

Leica Germany passed the information to DiseFoto (Leica dealer in Spain) who, while trying to free the serial number of the Leica M8.2, found that camera was marked as stolen :eek:.

Once contacted the previous owner, it was confirmed that the theft had been reported to the police.

I started the Paypal claim and I was contacted by the real previous owner. While Paypal was studying the case, I could not wait.... I contacted the seller, finally called previous owner & the seller.

Amazingly, the seller bought the camera from the same location where the camera was stolen. We were getting close to the thief.

In cooperation with the real owner, I got all data from the seller and seller's seller, so that he could enlarge the police report.

It finally turn out that "the seller of my seller" saw the camera fall down and decided to take advantage of the situation, he confess everything after the police called him to declare. Scared to death, he agreed on paying for all the items stolen (The camera + two lenses).

The original owner enlarged once more the police report recognizing me as the current owner after being paid by the thief.

All these facts summarized here gave me a lot of worries and headaches, Paypal wanted me to return the goods to the seller, under the label of " stolen items". I did not accept since I thought it was inmoral and illegal. So I was about to loose the money by returning it to the original owner.

Finally everything turned out well:

• in the end the guy that stole it had his punishment by paying what the original owner paid for the equipment
  • the original owner got all value back at the purchase price (after 2 years without the camera)
  • the seller got a shock to find that he had sold a stolen item (maybe he will think it twice next time... he paid very little money for the camera)
  • I got scared too, but I helped to find the thief, and after all, I have no remoses "that's the most important to me", since I did the right thing.

Finally I kept the camera and I registered it at LEICA AG.

My takeaways are :):

Buy from a recognize dealer

.... or if you try ebay, ask for the serial numbers and run them in a google search and/or check them with Leica.

Find attached a picture taken this weekend in Times Square, NY. I am enjoying the camera after all.

Thanks Iñaki!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Greetings from a new legal user of Leica :cool:

Edited by Pablo LeicaM8
  • Like 10

wow- great story and nice ending! That thief must be in tears: paying retail for an m8 in this market? Ouch.

typical that Paypal would try an get involved and stuff everything up. Paypal is an absolute joke when it comes to dealing with fraud- they have no idea (deliberately) and do not care about the truth or doing the right thing.

• Like 1

Yes, he must be!

He paid 3340€ for the M8.2, a Voigtlander 28mm f/1.9 & a Konica 50mm f/2....

I will think it better next time... imaging the owner losing the stuff in 2010, I am very glad for him getting the money back.

wow- great story and nice ending! That thief must be in tears: paying retail for an m8 in this market? Ouch.

typical that Paypal would try an get involved and stuff everything up. Paypal is an absolute joke when it comes to dealing with fraud- they have no idea (deliberately) and do not care about the truth or doing the right thing.

She was posing for a photographer with her trumpet, I can imagine she is a musician smiling for a good portrait with the city lights in the back, to maybe advertise where she is going to play. I did what I could to take the snap without bothering a lot... it is not perfect at all, but I love the girl attitude and the city lights on the trumpet.

This was for me a keeper in spite of the dark right corner who is the actual photographer as you can tell from where the girl is looking).

I am still learning.... ;)

I am glad you like the girl, I rather prefer you like the photograph... lol

VERY weird indeed, what a story! Enjoy your camera.

A very handsome girlfriend, BTW.

Regards

GEORG

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Almost OT at this point, but thanks to Pablo for posting the photographs of the M8 coffee stain. I'd been reading about the issue but couldn't quite get my brain around what it actually looked like. My early M8.2 appears to NOT have the stain but I'll keep my eye on it. Regards to all and good shooting out there!

• Like 1

Let me tell you a very long story, but very interesting...

Finally everything turned out well:

• in the end the guy that stole it had his punishment by paying what the original owner paid for the equipment
  • the original owner got all value back at the purchase price (after 2 years without the camera)
  • the seller got a shock to find that he had sold a stolen item (maybe he will think it twice next time... he paid very little money for the camera)
  • I got scared too, but I helped to find the thief, and after all, I have no remoses "that's the most important to me", since I did the right thing.

Finally I kept the camera and I registered it at LEICA AG.

My takeaways are :):

Buy from a recognize dealer

.... or if you try ebay, ask for the serial numbers and run them in a google search and/or check them with Leica.

Find attached a picture taken this weekend in Times Square, NY. I am enjoying the camera after all.

Trombone girl in Times Square | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Thanks Iñaki!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Greetings from a new legal user of Leica :cool:

Pablo, at the risk of sounding like I'm beating a dead horse, I hasten to point out that not only the thief but also the re-sellers got off easy. If that had happened in the US, the thief would have been prosecuted and probably imprisoned and the re-sellers would have been prosecuted as well. It would have been a Federal crime (much worse) if they had transported or mailed stolen goods across state lines. US authorities look dimly on the act of "fencing" stolen property.

But, I am happy that you are happy with your M8.2 and that things worked out well for you. Keep those photos coming!

--martha

• Like 1

Hi Martha,

To my experience, the US are known for giving a lot of value to truth, unless you show you do not deserve it, but are known also for giving second chances and opportunities to do fresh starts. I love those two things!

I agree that the reseller got off easy, since to me he knew what he was doing as Leica expert, but to go to trial may not be cheap in Spain or in the US, then you have to prove it and win...

The thief was "a normal person that made a mistake", quoting the original owner words, and he paid the original gear price (above current market price), apologized and felt totally ashame.

If the original owner can forgive him, I can do it too ;).

And now he can start fresh with a lesson learnt.

Thank you for your comment.

Pablo, at the risk of sounding like I'm beating a dead horse, I hasten to point out that not only the thief but also the re-sellers got off easy. If that had happened in the US, the thief would have been prosecuted and probably imprisoned and the re-sellers would have been prosecuted as well. It would have been a Federal crime (much worse) if they had transported or mailed stolen goods across state lines. US authorities look dimly on the act of "fencing" stolen property.

But, I am happy that you are happy with your M8.2 and that things worked out well for you. Keep those photos coming!

--martha

• Like 1

Love the Times Square pictures!!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Here you are another one, not as good, but I still love it! :)

Frozen by cellphone - Congelada por el móvil | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

• Like 1

If you still want to have an M9P. I think they have some available now as recovered demo models from stores.

The should give you a deal of about 10% less than the normal upgrade price, like they did for my M8 -> M9 deal. Of course you will get full guarantee etc.

In my case I did the math and could not refuse the upgrade. If you really want to shoot with M8.2, you could always sell the exchanged camera and then buy an other M8 without coffee stain. In my case that would probably give me a profit of 1000 Euro on the deal and I would have an M8 with full resale value later on (unless it also gets the coffee stain of course)

M9P limited stock will not be available for very long. After that Leica can only offer you M-E or perhaps a higher model M. It will be more costly and perhaps Leica will never propose deals for other models than the cheapest M in production. It is a geste from their side to compensate for your bad luck with the M8 after all...:o

• Like 1

Hello, I checked your post and it sound very attractive. Did you contact them on the phone prior to send the camera to Solms?

Thank you

If you still want to have an M9P. I think they have some available now as recovered demo models from stores.

The should give you a deal of about 10% less than the normal upgrade price, like they did for my M8 -> M9 deal. Of course you will get full guarantee etc.

In my case I did the math and could not refuse the upgrade. If you really want to shoot with M8.2, you could always sell the exchanged camera and then buy an other M8 without coffee stain. In my case that would probably give me a profit of 1000 Euro on the deal and I would have an M8 with full resale value later on (unless it also gets the coffee stain of course)

M9P limited stock will not be available for very long. After that Leica can only offer you M-E or perhaps a higher model M. It will be more costly and perhaps Leica will never propose deals for other models than the cheapest M in production. It is a geste from their side to compensate for your bad luck with the M8 after all...:o

I called Customer Service and they kindly told me to send them the camera. I will see what they have to offer.

The stain does not bother me, but this could be a good chance to upgrade. If I finally do it, I will forget about new gear. My resolution was to fight GAS, and I was in the good path since I bought the M8.2, but M9P is very tempting.... and math does look good too !...

What does not work is that once I put my hands on a M9P, I most likely will not be able to sell it and then buy a M8 free of stain :)

Keep shooting yours!

Hello, I checked your post and it sound very attractive. Did you contact them on the phone prior to send the camera to Solms?

Thank you

Hello everybody on this thread,

Where can I check the manufacturing year of my M8.2?

I bought it second hand, I searched on the internet for manufacturing years related to serial numbers, but the only reference I found is telling that all black M8.2 were produced in 2008, and all the silver M8.2 in 2009.....:mad:

Serial numbers compiled from known M8.2 cameras: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/M8.2

SN StartSN EndProductYearTotal-

355377 33558594-M8.2 (black) 2008 4822+-

3558844 3561121-M8.2 (silver)2009 2278+

-unknown3561123- M8.2 (white) 2010 12

TOTAL ASSIGNED SERIAL NUMBERS 2008-2010unknown

I don't get it... does it mean that in 2009 nobody wanted a black M8.2?

Any ideas? Thank you

Pablo

Yes indeed. According to Jip

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m8-forum/260637-just-bought-m8-2-coffe-stain-2.html#post2223419

Within 2 years (warranty period): free of charge

Within 3 years: 1500 EUR (M9) or 1920 EUR (M9-P)

Within 4 years: 2000 EUR (M9) or 2420 EUR (M9-P)

Within 5 years: 2500 EUR (M9) or 2920 EUR (M9-P)

Within 6 years: 3000 EUR (M9) or 3420 EUR (M9-P)

... plus VAT.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, after checking all the arrow sequences,

"......production date is that of the Firmware Info screen, after "Body:"

Turn the camera on.

Press the right arrow key 4 times.

Press the left arrow key 3 times.

Press the right arrow key 1 time.

Press the INFO button.

Select "Firmware Info" if it is not selected already.

Press the SET button and you're done."

my camera appears to be from December 2009 (at least the firmware).... I sent the camera to Leica since they assured me they could not give me a exchange price on the phone or email... they did not answer any email, I phone them twice....

Now they confirmed the coffee stain issue and sent an email proposing the exchange, but without any money quantification. I confirmed my interest as "sparked" and I am waiting for the real offer...:confused:

Lets wait and see...

Edited by Pablo LeicaM8