Just bought M8.2 with Coffe Stain on LCD

Pablo LeicaM8

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everyone, I just bought a used ebay M8.2 and it has the coffe stain LCD issue in the center of the screen as explained in the forum (more visible when on a pale wall etc). Rest is working very well and of course pictures are not affected.

I am new to Leica and I need advice. Would you keep the Camera with that defect and with no warranty? .. and no service for those LCDs....

The price was for 2400€ ($3100) the camera and a 50mm Summicron type 4 from 1981 + charger, 2 batteries & usb cable.

Do you think it is still a good deal with the LCD issue? I love the camera...so I need advice to make a reasonable decission!

I have 6 days to return it... so any advice will help!

Thank you

Edited by Pablo LeicaM8
  • Like 1

Welcome to the Forum.

For a good working M8 it is a very good deal. The previous owner sold it because of this problem

and unless you want to upgrade the thing via Customer Service - for a fee of course -

return it as fast as possible.

Perhaps you could keep the lens and get a partial refund.

Best

GEORG

• Like 1

First thank you for answering,

do you think the lcd may go worse?, I mean it is not really annoying.

The camera is a M8.2, so there is no upgrade since it has already the sapphire protection, as far as I know the upgrade changes the cover, not he lcd.

Thank you for the feedback

Edited by Pablo LeicaM8

First thank you for answering,

do you think the lcd may go worse?, ...

Pablo, welcome to the forum.

I had two M8 cameras, each developed this problem. I eventually returned them to Leica for repair under warranty but there was a long interval when I lived with the issue because I did not want to be without either camera. The coffee stains did not get worse, nor did they affect the camera's performance. Each one went back in turn and Leica realigned my rangefinder on one camera, without my asking. (I wish I had dealt with that issue earlier, but that is another question). I still have one of those cameras and enjoy using it.

If you are completely happy with the performance of your package, and can bring yourself to live with this minor blemish, I would do so. It is the pictures which count, not fairly well-concealed cosmetic issues.

If you really like the camera, just go the >>jaapv-route<< and complain to him at a later point ...

BTW, did a shade and the 39mm-IR-Filter come together with the SUMMICRON-lens?

Your dealer certainly informed you, that IR-filters are a must on the M8 ...

Best

GEORG

Edited by k_g_wolf

I've got a 'normal' Black M8 and it has the coffee sting for 3 years now (according to the previous owner, a friend of mine whom I trust.) It never has gotten worse, and the screen just works, but with a coffeestain.

If you get a coffeestain on a piece of paper, it aint gonna get worse either! ha ha.

I would hold on to the camera if you think the sting is not a problem, I don't think it'll get worse, since mine hasn't.

And the price you paid for a M8.2 + 50 summicron is really nice.

I bought my M8.2 (one with no coffeestain) for 2200 euro, it was in GREAT condition, and only took 250+/- pictures... it was as new.

But then again the price you paid is really good, and if you don't mind about the stain KEEP IT!

:)

• Like 2

@ Pablo LeicaM8: Sorry to hear you have problem with your new M8.2. Could you please upload an image of that "Coffee Stain"? Is it yellowish or just a small darker area on the center of the LCD?

Regards,

Hello, find attached the images of the Coffee Stain, same picture with 2 different zooms while in play,`+ a picture of the camera with the lense. I think the stain is yellowish blur darker in the center, What do you think? Thank you and regards

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

If you really like the camera, just go the >>jaapv-route<< and complain to him at a later point ...

BTW, did a shade and the 39mm-IR-Filter come together with the SUMMICRON-lens?

Your dealer certainly informed you, that IR-filters are a must on the M8 ...

Best

GEORG

Hello Georg,

It's coming with the shade and without the 39mm UV/IR filter (that I already ordered at Amazon). See the pictures attached.

I knew about the filter from my blog readings, and I asked the seller about it, and she was a pretty clear on the need of it (serious seller, I believe), she said that the filter was not included since she was using a Summilux on the camera with a different diameter IR filter. Regards

• Like 1

Hello everyone, I just bought a used ebay M8.2 and it has the coffe stain LCD issue (…) The price was for 2400€ ($3100) the camera and a 50mm Summicron type 4 from 1981 + charger, 2 batteries & usb cable. Do you think it is still a good deal with the LCD issue?...

If the Summicron is included in the price perhaps so depending on its condition but otherwise certainly not as i got my mint M8.2 for 2,300 EUR and those LCD issues are no longer repairable as you know. The only way to get yours "fixed" on amicable basis is to upgrade it to the M9 at a special price that will be decided by Leica at their sole discretion. Might be interesting if you like the M9 and you can afford this upgrade though.

• Like 1

Hello lct,

Yes, the lense is included and it looks in good shape to me: no lense defects, smooth aperture, just a little outside paint loss due to the clip on shade (I think).

You can see the picture of the coffe stain posted from the worst angle possible. When looked perpendicular it is not as strong, but I wanted to capture it.

What money range are we talking about when we think the M9 upgrade route later on?

Thank you and regards

Edited by Pablo LeicaM8

The camera is a M8.2, so there is no upgrade since it has already the sapphire protection, as far as I know the upgrade changes the cover, not he lcd.

I believe the person who commented was referring to the recently announced upgrade offer from Leica for non-repairable LCDs on M8s and M8.2s (announced by Stefan Daniel on this forum). Depending on the age and condition of the camera, you might be able to upgrade (i.e., exchange) your camera for an M9 or M9-P (with sapphire screen) at a discounted cost. [i like the term 'exchange' rather than 'upgrade', as I prefer the M8.2...but that's just me.]

I recommend contacting Leica service to determine the cost and help sort your options*.

* including the option to exchange for an M9 or M9-P, then sell it, and buy a fault-free M8.2

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

What money range are we talking about when we think the M9 upgrade route later on?

Only Leica can tell but assuming that your as-is M8.2's value is €1.5K and given that new M9s can be had for €5K and MEs for €4.8K currently, you could have to pay something in between, about €3K perhaps? Just a guess though.

• Like 1