My tilting Leica SF 24D Flash on the hot-shoe.

Fang

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Bought my Leica SF 24D Flash recently and although I have bought the Nissin SC01 syn cable; I prefers to shoot with it on the hot-shoe so I tried modifying using my Canon 580ex diffuser (using Gaffer tapes)

Now it tilts and attached a sample photo - I am pleased with it and like to share this with fellow users.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Bought my Leica SF 24D Flash recently and although I have bought the Nissin SC01 syn cable; I prefers to shoot with it on the hot-shoe so I tried modifying using my Canon 580ex diffuser (using Gaffer tapes)

Now it tilts and attached a sample photo - I am pleased with it and like to share this with fellow users.

Thanks! Nice simple approach :)

Did you insert reflective material inside the diffuser (under where the Gaffer tape is located)?

Please note that; Black Gaffer tape is not light proof... Found out fabricating an 'on site' pinhole lens...

Sorry but I did not think about it. Thanks I may try it out after my trip to Vietnam.

Although the Gaffer tape is not light proof it does the trick.

Thanks! Nice simple approach :)

Did you insert reflective material inside the diffuser (under where the Gaffer tape is located)?

Please note that; Black Gaffer tape is not light proof... Found out fabricating an 'on site' pinhole lens...

• 6 months later...

I'm also considering to buy SF 24D. I saw there is an option to use Nikon's cable so it can be used as an off camera flash and one can tilt and swivel it with his hand.;)

Is this flash powerfull enough to be used as a bounce flash at all?

I read some articles about TTL, but didn't fully get the concept.

How does a flash know how much power to use? I mean the flash can be mounted on my camera, it can bee 3m off the camera or I can direct it towards the side wall. All this will deliver different amount of light to the subject.:confused:

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When you use the TTL flash exposure setting with either the SF-24D or SF-58 the flash emits a brief pre-flash which the body meters and uses to determine the proper main flash output. It all happens pretty quickly. It is the same method most digital camera use for TTL flash control.

• Like 1

I'm also considering to buy SF 24D. I saw there is an option to use Nikon's cable so it can be used as an off camera flash and one can tilt and swivel it with his hand.;)

Is this flash powerfull enough to be used as a bounce flash at all?

I read some articles about TTL, but didn't fully get the concept.

How does a flash know how much power to use? I mean the flash can be mounted on my camera, it can bee 3m off the camera or I can direct it towards the side wall. All this will deliver different amount of light to the subject.:confused:

Yes, you can bounce to a limited extent, GN 24 is not too bad.

The camera and flash are in constant communication when in GNC mode.

The mechanism is as follows: The camera sets the flash output using the external light meter and the TTL one as a guess. The flash gives a pre flash, the flash output is corrected to the correct level by the internal lightmeter through the lens and the flash fires a correct amount of light.

• Like 1

I saw in other threads people mentioned sfill from Leicagoodies. On their site they mentioned one can use filters too.

I would perhaps use it with some gels like CTO...

Can anyone recommend or point to where I could find gels that would fit that diffuser? I didn't quite understand what size the gels should be and where to attach them.