New 50mm 1.4 ASPH on M9 Focus issue

LeicaTobin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I`m in Canada. Bought a New 50mm lux from vistek and everything at 1.4 is not sharp. I did tripod tests and it appears to be front focusing. What are my options for a guy in Canada? Who can I send it to to get adjusted? NJ? Germany? I have a M9 and my 35 Lux FLE is spot on perfect for focus. Do I have to send the m9 in as well?

Thanks

Chad

I`m in Canada. Bought a New 50mm lux from vistek and everything at 1.4 is not sharp. I did tripod tests and it appears to be front focusing. What are my options for a guy in Canada? Who can I send it to to get adjusted? NJ? Germany? I have a M9 and my 35 Lux FLE is spot on perfect for focus. Do I have to send the m9 in as well?

Thanks

Chad

Hi,

Im from the same area as you. I would take the lens back to Vistek and have them deal with it -- that is, let them pay for the shipment to NJ. You do not have to send the M9. Just over a year ago I purchase my M9 from Camtech in Montreal (Vistek was out of stock) and I had to get my old lenses calibrated since they too back-focussed so I sent lenses an camera for checking to NJ. They adjust the lenses to a standard and not to a particular camera body.

Jean-Michel

Its unlikely that a 50mm out of the factory is not correct

f1.4 is very thin, and will be thinner on 50mm then 35mm

I would see if you can borrow another 50mm (or 75mm) f1.4 to try

It could be the 50mm Summilux, but is more likely that your M9 that needs adjustment

Edited by colonel

I have a M9 and my 35 Lux FLE is spot on perfect for focus. Do I have to send the m9 in as well?

My situation was the opposite. My 50 Summilux has been perfect but a new 35 FLE I recently bought was way off. I sent mine to NJ, and just the lens (no camera body needed.)

With a digital sensor so perfectly flat it seems to be more common now to have focusing issues (with either the lens and/or the rangefinder mechanism.) With film and its emulsion thickness it wasn't such a big issue, but now with digital that's changed. Although my 35 was way off with a film M6, too.

fwiw, here's my test sample which I sent along with the lens (you should have your vendor send it for you, instead of taking the burden on yourself.)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would see if you can test the lens with your card on another body at the shop, my M9-P was out and it went back for adjustment FOC as it was still in warranty (I bought it secondhand)

I am sure they will have a chart and also another lens, a 75 summarit will do as it will have a similar DOF

Its unlikely that a 50mm out of the factory is not correct

f1.4 is very thin, and will be thinner on 50mm then 35mm

I would see if you can borrow another 50mm (or 75mm) f1.4 to try

It could be the 50mm Summilux, but is more likely that your M9 that needs adjustment

:eek::eek::eek:

sorry .... there are loads of threads here about the poor calibration of this lens.

both of my copies have been back to be corrected and are still not 100% ok but adequate for every-day use.

the mechanics and optics of this lens seem to be at the limit of Leicas abilities to adjust for the M9 with any consistency.....

• Like 2

CalArts - can you post a link to the chart you used? I would love to be able to check several of my lenses that seem to be back focusing.

Thanks,

Andrew.

I used a different one than what Colonel posted, but that one will work fine (I have print-outs, but don't recall where they came from to be honest.)

And yes, it's obvious that you need to use a tripod, measure the 45 degree angle, focus distance, lens wide open, etc..

But on top of using a chart, you can also do real world checks using a tripod with stationary objects at a variety of distances. I spent a day checking everything, including the chart, just to be sure and get a feel for what was happening before I sent the lens in. (I also did the same tests with my film M6 bodies using reversal film to be certain it was just the lens.)

btw, the lens is still at Leica and it's been a little over a month now.

• Like 1