A binocular that Leica does not manufacture ...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica covers most types of binoculars up to 15x56 - but nothing beyond this magnification.

Kowa makes what is considered to be one of the finest observation binoculars ie the 32 x 82 High Lander Prominar - which can also be configured as 21x and 50x by swapping the eyepieces. The Highlander was allegedly originally designed and made by joining two Kowa 82mm objective lens diameter spotting scopes side by side and adding the necessary eyepieces with a variable interocular adjustment.

Leica makes 82mm spotting scopes. I wonder if Leica has considered utilising this 'scope to make an observation binocular which could be just as good if not better than the acclaimed Kowa High Lander Prominar ?

This could be a relatively easy project to put into production and given the demand for the Kowa, it could be a profitable line for Leica.

Just a thought :)

Best wishes

dunk

Edited by dkpeterborough

I gave a quick look to a Kowa dealer' site : the Highlander Prominar are far from cheap (I saw 2 models... 4900 and 6000 Euros), and I see that Leica Televids prices are not so higher than comparable Kowa and Swarowsky... indeed there could be an opportunity, even for Leica prices, to engineer the "coupling" of two Televids and make a fine long range binocular.

Edited by luigi bertolotti

The worst binoculars or scopes are those you don't take with you because they are too heavy. I am sure a 82 - or even 65mm - made from two scopes had big chances to win the top price in this categorie.

Observation binoculars are not intended to be portable take anywhere items. They are used on tripods for the particular purpose of extra long range observing - including astronomy. When I used a Kowa High Lander 32x82 recently at Rutland Water I was very impressed by its capabilities; it was 'dedicated tripod' mounted and capable of seeing very distant subject matter with superb three dimensional resolution right across the field of view - detail that lower magnification Leica binoculars (also tried that day) could not see so clearly.

Best wishes

dunk

• Like 1

I am sure, those high-magnification binoculars are useful for special purposes.

Though I have considerable doubts that their special requirements would qualify them for the consumer market. Leica calls their binocular/scopes section "Sport-Optik" - so they are addressing the consumer market. I think this is the reason why Leica does not and will not produce a binocular Televid.

• 2 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am sure, those high-magnification binoculars are useful for special purposes.

Though I have considerable doubts that their special requirements would qualify them for the consumer market. Leica calls their binocular/scopes section "Sport-Optik" - so they are addressing the consumer market. I think this is the reason why Leica does not and will not produce a binocular Televid.

Astronomy is a sport/pastime/leisure activity with thousands of participants and numbers of supporting websites and magazines/journals. Nikon, Fujinon, Zeiss and Kowa make quality observation binoculars with magnifications of 20x and greater. Unfortunately Leica and Swarovski do not.

dunk

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I live with binoculars onboard ship. We generally carry 2 kinds. The first are usually 7x 40 handheld units, often with built in compasses to take bearings. The second are "Big Eyes" which are 20 x 120 and are mounted on the ship for magnifying small objects at distance.

My personal set is a Leica Geovid 8 x 56 which is as high powered as I would regularly use at sea. It also comes with a rangefinder which is very helpful when docking and in close quarters. This set knocks the socks off of the Nikon and Fujinon binoculars I typically find on the ship, but at 12x the price, they should.

I suspect that Leica thinks that binocular users are typically carrying them to be used hand held and if greater magnification is required, they will opt for spotting scopes instead.

JCA

• 2 months later...
The worst binoculars or scopes are those you don't take with you because they are too heavy. I am sure a 82 - or even 65mm - made from two scopes had big chances to win the top price in this categorie.

I agree, I have a pair of Leica Duovids - which apart from being uncomfortable to use because my eyes are wider apart than their maximum inter-pupillary distance - are also very heavy and I rarely take them. Leica M plus a couple of lenses or these monsters? No contest...

I agree, I have a pair of Leica Duovids - which apart from being uncomfortable to use because my eyes are wider apart than their maximum inter-pupillary distance - are also very heavy and I rarely take them. Leica M plus a couple of lenses or these monsters? No contest...

As stated previously, observation binoculars are not designed to be portable. They are used on tripods - usually at fixed locations.

dunk

I spent around three hours last Friday at the Bird Fair comparing binoculars and 'scopes by Leica, Kowa, Swarovski & Zeiss. At their respective top level ranges, the main thing that seperates models of similar power and objective diameter is ergonomics, eye-relief, angle of view and personal preference. Optically, it mainly comes down to splitting hairs.

With mid price range manufacturers, things are different. There are a lot of construction and optical quality differences from one manufacturer to another. Plastic abounds at this price point, but the Hawke Sapphire models stood out as being very good value for £350-£450. In the 8-8.5x range (my preference for birding), you would have to spend at least another £1000 for something that performs appreciably better if the kudos of a prestigious name isn't important.

I didn't try anything more powerful than 15x, and only out of curiosity because it doesn't interest me. Observation binoculars are intended for a limited market which I don't think would change even if any manufacturer other than Kowa tried to introduce such a model. I recall years ago Zeiss Jena had an observation binocular that performed quite well at a reasonable cost, but was never taken up by mainstream users such as birders.

As for compacts, still nothing would tempt me away from 8x20 Ultravids.

I spent around three hours last Friday at the Bird Fair comparing binoculars and 'scopes by Leica, Kowa, Swarovski & Zeiss. At their respective top level ranges, the main thing that seperates models of similar power and objective diameter is ergonomics, eye-relief, angle of view and personal preference. Optically, it mainly comes down to splitting hairs.

With mid price range manufacturers, things are different. There are a lot of construction and optical quality differences from one manufacturer to another. Plastic abounds at this price point, but the Hawke Sapphire models stood out as being very good value for £350-£450. In the 8-8.5x range (my preference for birding), you would have to spend at least another £1000 for something that performs appreciably better if the kudos of a prestigious name isn't important.

I didn't try anything more powerful than 15x, and only out of curiosity because it doesn't interest me. Observation binoculars are intended for a limited market which I don't think would change even if any manufacturer other than Kowa tried to introduce such a model. I recall years ago Zeiss Jena had an observation binocular that performed quite well at a reasonable cost, but was never taken up by mainstream users such as birders.

As for compacts, still nothing would tempt me away from 8x20 Ultravids.

Hawke binoculars have good test reports but a well known UK optics dealer advised me they have to be sent back to Hawke for servicing ... they cannot be serviced by independent optical technicians. Zeiss Jena evolved into Docter; Docter make one of the very finest observation binoculars with interchangeable oculars - including a special 40x eyepiece for astronomical observing; it's very highly thought of amongst binocular user astronomers and costs less than the Kowa High Lander DOCTER®ASPECTEM 80 / 500 ED. Docter also make superb regular magnification binoculars; I have a 7x50 Docter which is excellent - both optically and the build quality. Meopta also make superb professional quality binoculars which undercut the 'high end' manufacturers' prices. Many of the mid range price and budget price binoculars are all made in the same Chinese factory and are badge engineered for different importers. However, although almost identical externally (apart from the brand name) and with the same basic optical train, the actual optical coatings can differ e.g. the cheaper brands might not be multi-coated - they are only single coated. The budget price observation binocular brands are very obviously 'badge engineered' . I tried two budget price observation binoculars at Birdfair 2013 last Sunday. One demo model which was falling apart was awful; " ... Oh we've had that for two years ... " said the dealer. Another dealer showed me a 30x observation binocular - obviously not made by his 'brand' but made for it ... the image was not sharp . It's a bit of a lottery choosing/buying budget price binoculars. Leica Mayfair are selling their ex Birdfair demo binoculars via their 'Leica Select' listings.

dunk

..... Leica Mayfair are selling their ex Birdfair demo binoculars via their 'Leica Select' listings. .....

I looked at the website on Friday (www.leica-select.co.uk), they were selling a few demo models, but not the full range. I once had a pair of Docter 8x. They were heavy for what they were as I recall, but good quality at a reasonable cost.

Interesting to hear about Hawke servicing if correct. I know nothing about the brand, but assumed they were of far-eastern manufacture.

Edited by honcho

• 3 weeks later...

I keep a Leica Ultravid 10x42 under my car seat. In the summer I keep the car closed up completely when parked, and I hear the internal temperature goes to 200 f. or so when the car is sitting in the sun for hours. But after 7 years under the seat, the Leica is as good as new except the exterior finish doesn't look so good. I've had a couple other brands that didn't survive.