Leica Watches

smb

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Does anyone know anything about vintage Leica wristwatches? I found a Leica windup wristwatch, possibly from the 1960's, Swiss made, with the name of a company, WAKMANN, on the movement. I was advised that Wakmann used Breitling movements and that the case may have been made by Minerva. I am interested in finding out if these watches were sold on the open market or were gifts by the Leica company or any other definite information. Thank you.

One or two elegant elegant watches bear the leica insignia, though nothing can tempt me away from this: OMEGA Watches: Speedmaster 50th Anniversary Limited Series - Steel on steel - 311.33.42.50.01.001 Unfortunately, it costs the same as both 50 and 75 luxes combined, though I believe Omega watches do hold their value!

Edited by andyedward

i too have seen a few 2nd rate Leica badged watches on sale here and there, but most have been plasticky and quartz.

i wonder if there is a nice, reasonably priced, chronograph with automatic movement around somewhere.....surely there must have been some versions as are produced for most niche brands.

I saw a Leica Chronograph on sale today for 3K. Personally, I have a few reasonably priced Chronographs but since I wear glasses when I glance down at the Chronographs they are a blur. If you can see the small dials great but I can not. As an aside the easiest watches to read are the Casios from China.

I saw a Leica Chronograph on sale today for 3K. Personally, I have a few reasonably priced Chronographs but since I wear glasses when I glance down at the Chronographs they are a blur. If you can see the small dials great but I can not. As an aside the easiest watches to read are the Casios from China.

Any link or pic of the watch?

Casio is Japanese btw.

They are about as "official" as it gets :rolleyes:

I had one for a while (the "steel spirit" ). A nice, well made, decently weighted, competent wristwatch. I got rid of it only because it was hard to read in low light. They are not made for Leica Camera AG, btw, but for Leica Geosystems, IIRC.

Regards,

Bill

Sent from another Galaxy

• Like 3

Everyone wants to get into Branding. A pity that Leica did not get into bed with anyone making decent 'branded" watches like IWC and decided instead to sell the cheap quartz tat as Leica that Red Dot are selling.

Wilson

Hello kokoshawnuff,

I can't tell for sure, but: This looks to me like a relatively recent pocket watch made in an earlier style. Do you know the size? ie: 12, 16, 18? Or number of lignes? What are the materials, etc & is it possible to see a somewhat larger photo of the mechanism (whatever the size is)?

Best Regards,

Michael

Michael,

The escapement frame looks to be horrible quality. The engraving looks pressed rather than machined or cut. I suspect this may be a "bitza" assembled from parts of various Chinese knock off pocket watches and with a fake Leica logo on the front.

The watchmaker I use in Lewes, UK showed me a couple of years ago, a fake Jaeger le Coultre 1920's gold dress skeleton pocket watch, which he assumed was Chinese. It had even been slightly distressed to look old. He had done the full Jaeger le Coultre 7 year apprenticeship in his youth but even he was impressed by the workmanship on the fake, except they had made the error of writing "J le C" on the movement, whereas watches of that age should show just "JC". The conversation arose because I had taken in my father's much plainer looking dress pocket watch for service, which my father had been given on graduation in 1923, by his parents. I did not know the make of the Calibre 479 movement until the watchmaker pointed out the JC to me, almost hidden under the balance wheel. However the case is almost certainly of UK origin, as it has a UK hallmark. I increased the insurance value by a fair amount, when I learnt the make of the movement.

Apologies for poor quality photo. Have not unpacked my bellows, Visoflex and macro lenses yet so had to make do with a Summarit 75 straight onto the M9.

Wilson

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hello Wilson.

My assesment of the "Leica" watch was pretty much the same as yours.

As per the case on your father's watch: It is not unusual for watches to be cased in a different Country than the Country in which the mechanism was manufactured. Also: Sometimes things manufactured & hallmarked in 1 country are re-assayed & re-marked when they are imported into another. Are there any other marks along with the British marks? British marks are very well thought out. It is very easy to tell where, when & whom.

Some marks from other Countries are not only letters or numbers. They might be: Squirrels, roosters, insects & so on. Some French marks are really tiny (reverse pantographs have been used for making the dies for hundreds of years) & can be hidden in the most unlikely of places. When seen thru a hi-power magnifier some have incredible detail. Sometimes these marks are worked into the scene, design or motif. If some of these tiny French marks pick up a small ammount of body oil they can look like a tiny dot or a tiny, little, something which is somewhat imprecise.

You might look gently. Don't forget to check in very unlikely places.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht
  • Like 1