M8 - Black Hole for your Wallet!

Jager

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I can offer a different approach to remaining guilt-free while steadily approaching the light cone of proper Leica inventory. I just think about what I could be spending on flying if I were living in a country that had reasonable general aviation facilities, or on sailing if the beach were a little closer. But I just finished taking a 16 hour course to renew my US CFII online for two more years, so maybe I'm not safe yet... I think I'll consider a 35/1.4 or a second body to keep me safe a little longer.

scott

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dare I play? Started with the prerelease M8 news, reviews, and of course this forum. My intuition that RF and leica were in my heretofore exclusively DSLR future grew and grew. Couldn't wait, so I got a RD-1 refurb, and mint used 35/1.4 ASPH and Noctilux. (The argument that it beats the heck out of the stock market definitely applies here, but one can sell stocks!). Then the M8 ended up available to me like the day it hit the streets in the US, along with a 28/2.8 ASPH. The 15CV pics I saw were SO good I got that for my wide, (and I love it so much I really can resist the WATE, really). 75mm is a favorite, if not the favorite FL for me, I got a used 75 lux and still plan on getting a used 75 cron (sorry for the delay Ray, my 200-400 VR sale is still just getting done). A great price for a new 90 elmarit was next. So, what about that 30% discount.....a 50/1.4 asph is on the way.

Now a new wrinkle. Having never shot a role of film in my life, and always knowing it would come,I shot a friends M5 last week, loved it and the negatives even more. With another friend who has a darkroom and the highest level of proficiency in B&W film beckoning me....sold the RD-1, bought a M6TTL and a beat up but well functioning M5 ($575). I am probably returning the M6 for an M7 which I think makes more sense for my shooting and as a companion for the M8. If I do, the $500 gift certificate from Leica will go to one more lens, probably a 135 APO, and I'm done. Really, for sure. So I have less dough, a lot less Nikon equipment, and a lot more pleasure and interest in photography than my life BL. Definitely worth the trade off! best....Peter

I've been through the 12 step program over the years to cure the addiction:

Drool over the new M4 50th Anniversary in the shop case.

Step 1: buy a regular M4, and 3 lenses... and feel proud you saved money.

Kick yourself in the ass for not buying the M4 Anniversary because it's worth more than it was new.

Step 2: buy the new M6, and a couple of new lenses. Now I have a meter in the camera.

Intrigued by the gain in value of the M4 Anniversary I didn't buy, I start a collection of vintage Leicas ... paying a premium at a time when they are valued by the Japanese more than 1000 year old family heirlooms.

The M6 .085 is introduced.

Step 3: secure a second body, and more lenses ... which I'm allowed to keep in the divorce.

Then comes the M6 TTL.

Step 4: Get the M6 TTL and spend more cash on flash gear ... plus even faster lenses so I won't need the TTL or the flash gear.

Ooh, the M6 TTL Titanium.

Step 5: start a parallel set of M gear at premium Titanium prices.

Eyes getting bad. Step 6: sell off all Leica gear and get an AF Contax G2 Black kit and all the lenses plus a back-up body.

Hate G2. Step 6 through 11: repeat steps 1 -5 with different Leica models and lenses ... including an buy/sell array of "designer" models like the LHSA and Millennium ... culminating in a chrome MP3 and Retro 50/1.4 ASPH ... which looks like the M3 that I always wanted in the first place.

Step 12 is in progress with the M8. My addiction is over, but only because it was transfered to MF digital ... now I'm up there with celebrity level need for rehab ... and a sailboat or sports car collection would be less expensive.

: -)

Drool over the new M4 50th Anniversary in the shop case.

Step 1: buy a regular M4, and 3 lenses... and feel proud you saved money.

Kick yourself in the ass for not buying the M4 Anniversary because it's worth more than it was new.

Step 2: buy the new M6, and a couple of new lenses. Now I have a meter in the camera.

Intrigued by the gain in value of the M4 Anniversary I didn't buy, I start a collection of vintage Leicas ... paying a premium at a time when vintage Leicas are valued by the Japanese more than 1000 year old family heirlooms.

The M6 .085 is introduced.

Step 3: secure a second body, and more lenses ... which I'm allowed to keep in the divorce.

Then comes the M6 TTL.

Step 4: Get the M6 TTL and spend more cash on flash gear ... plus even faster lenses so I won't need the TTL or the flash gear.

Ooh, the M6 TTL Titanium.

Step 5: start a parallel set of M gear at premium Titanium prices.

Eyes getting bad. Step 6: sell off all Leica gear and get an AF Contax G2 Black kit and all the lenses plus a back-up body.

Hate G2. Step 6 through 11: repeat steps 1 -5 with different Leica models and lenses ... including an buy/sell array of "designer" models like the LHSA and Millennium ... culminating in a chrome MP3 and Retro 50/1.4 ASPH ... which looks like the M3 that I always wanted in the first place.

Step 12 is in progress with the M8. My addiction is over, but only because it was transfered to MF digital ... now I'm up there with celebrity level need for rehab ... and a sailboat or sports car collection would be less expensive.

Guest guy_mancuso

Yup Marc you got it bad for sure. I don't even want to start this , let's just say it started with R bled over to M passing on D but if any other letter comes up I may go there too. BTW were is that rehab center at

Guest guy_mancuso

Jerry must be nice to your fellow members. ROTFLMAO and no if you rat someone out they look at yours . LOL

Need a 30 percent off. ROTFLMAO

Help me, I am getting sucked in, fast! I had all canon junk including just about every L lens. It sat at home as it was always a burden to bring. now I got an M8 and it goes everywhere. A camera that is actually being used 10x the canon stuff.

It started with the 28 2.8, then the 75 1.4, then a old 35 1.4, then the 12mm CV, and now I am dreaming of the WATE.

What do I do?????

I suffer from the same disease as everybody else on this thread.

It is probably the first contagious disease to be spread via the Internet! It all started with rumours on different Leica sites that a digital M was on the way, and discussions here and on other photo sites quickly led to a lust and an addiction that is difficult for others to understand and bear with.

The worst thing is that there seems to be no cure for the disease at all!

After having spent thousands of € at my drug dealer in Hamburg on the Noctilust, the 35/1.4 ASPHERICAL (which is now on its way to me), the 75/1.4, and on Leica bags and other accessories, I have decided to sell all my film M-bodies and all older M-lenses (except my lovely 28/2.8 III) in order to be able to finance the 24/2.8, the TE, the 50 lux asph and, maybe, the WATE.

But I am sure, that as soon as I have got hold of those lenses, the disease will most probably require another body, and the whole thing will continue.

We could always hope for the disease to vanish or diminish at some point, but I am afraid that the disease will revert more strong than ever, when the rumours on a new R10 are confirmed by Leica. So I keep my DMR and R-lenses in anticipation of what must be next.

I suffer from the same disease as everybody else on this thread.

It is probably the first contagious disease to be spread via the Internet! It all started with rumours on different Leica sites that a digital M was on the way, and discussions here and on other photo sites quickly led to a lust and an addiction that is difficult for others to understand and bear with.

The worst thing is that there seems to be no cure for the disease at all!

After having spent thousands of € at my drug dealer in Hamburg on the Noctilust, the 35/1.4 ASPHERICAL (which is now on its way to me), the 75/1.4, and on Leica bags and other accessories, I have decided to sell all my film M-bodies and all older M-lenses (except my lovely 28/2.8 III) in order to be able to finance the 24/2.8, the TE, the 50 lux asph and, maybe, the WATE.

But I am sure, that as soon as I have got hold of those lenses, the disease will most probably require another body, and the whole thing will continue.

We could always hope for the disease to vanish or diminish at some point, but I am afraid that the disease will revert more strong than ever, when the rumours on a new R10 are confirmed by Leica. So I keep my DMR and R-lenses in anticipation of what must be next.

The disease is self-limiting. Leica makes a limited number of lenses....:D I know from bitter experience ;)

21-24-TE-35-50-75-90-135-200-280-400 :(:eek:

For gods sake you lot! You're worse than my mother. "Don't start smoking, you won't be able to stop." "Yeah Right, I can stop whenever I want".

I have long had the photography bug and had a Canon 300d and 20d and a couple of lenses which I used for portraits and one or two weddings which I do to fund the bug. But then I wanted a small compact to carry with me all the time. so I popped into the local photographic store and looked at what fuji and canon had to offer. "The G6 should be okay as that uses my compact flash cards. I don't want to be having to buy new storage cards." That was when I first smelled the smoke, that first inhalation of Leicatine. the guy in the shop said "I have a Leica dlux2 upstairs if you want to look at that. It's more expensive but have a look". As soon as he pulled it out of the box I knew I must have it. It looked and felt gorgeous, it handled beautiful. It was such a breath of fresh air compared to the other compacts. - I was in love.

I took it out on the moors near where I live and filled the card and when I viewed the images, I couldn't believe them, this little compact produced images which knocked spots off my canon produced photos, straight out of the camera. WOW!

Then I found here and started reading up on R9DMR's and M8's and I was addicted. I couldn't really justify the cost of investing in these so I sold the 300d and bought a Digilux 3 and now I am looking forward to the new D lenses. But then, deep down, I know I shouldn't have bought the Digilux 3, I should have bought the R9DMR or an M8 and I know I will, but I will probably try and satisfy the craving by buying the new 'D' lens but I know it won't.

And so it goes on. Hopeless.

The disease is self-limiting. Leica makes a limited number of lenses....:D I know from bitter experience ;)

21-24-TE-35-50-75-90-135-200-280-400 :(:eek:

Not quite so. Leica until now has only produced the M8 in chrome and black chrome. But black paint finish and titanium finish are possible in the future. For each body and for each lens there will, thus, probably in the near future be 4 finishes available.

I know from bitter experience what it means to have a Lux 50 in black chrome, black paint and titanium finish! Now I will concentrate on black chrome - but you never know with this disease. It is not self limiting at all.

... culminating in a chrome MP3 and Retro 50/1.4 ASPH ... which looks like the M3 that I always wanted in the first place.

Just went through my third or is it the fourth iteration of your twelve steps with the M8 and four new lenses I shouldn't and could't afford. Should be glad the M8 threw a wet blanket by going to the ICU at Solms. Now my wallet can take a breather until it comes back.... What did you say about a version of MP looking just like the M3...? Would really go nicely with my classic styled Lux 50 ASPH..hmmm

Alan