M8 - Black Hole for your Wallet!

Jager

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff your story is so true to life, it's so sad. I blame that Mancuso guy :D he was the pusher, the dealer, the seed sower. I dumped all my Canon kit and shocked my self as to the amount of money tied up in it. I now look at my M8, 21 Asph, 35 Lux Asph, 50 Cron, 75 Cron AA and Noctilux on order and keep telling myself it has to end. But apart from the body, the glass should last a lifetime..... well that's what I keep telling my self.

i did not buy any new leica gear for a long time. my M6 set was rather complete. but now with the M8 a 21 is bought, new bags, batteries etc... and i feel like i really need the 35 /1.4 (must be so much more usefull then the 35/2)

as long as you use the gear i do not see any harm in it

I agree "it is all Guy Mancuso's fault..."

And the rest of you don't help :)

I started off with a M7 and 35, 50, 90. And then I got the M8 so I ordered a 24 from Tony Rose ( backordered ) and then a trip came up. Picked up a 21 to take on the trip and then a CV15.

Now with a 30% letter burning a hole in my pocket I am thinking about a Noct or WATE. And I just know that I am going to end up with both :rolleyes:

And please don't get me started on a second M8 body. Not to mention all the talk about the 28.

Ok, broke now :p

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica Berlin is my drug dealer. I didn't have any money when I decided to go to the M8 demo day back in the fall. I didn't have any money when I, just for kicks and with no commitment, decided to put my name on the list. I didn't have any money when a stunning chrome M8 came in and my drug dealer called me up. I didn't have any money when I walked in that door to "only" look at it, and I had €6700 less than no money when I walked out with the M8 and a 50 Lux Asph. I decided then that I would get the 28 Elmarit, a CV15 and 75 Lux or Cron, and that would be it. Then a 28 Elmarit came in and I got another call, but meanwhile I had spent the night pouring over the permance charts and MTF charts of the 28 Elmarit and 28 Cron, and I said that I would hold out for the Cron. The next lens was one which I never planned for, but I missed the 50mm focal length, and a great member of this board found two at great prices, and passed one on to me, still at a great price, the 35 Cron Asph. That lens lived on my camera for a while, but I was really missing my 80 Lux-R, so I kept thinking about a 75. While distracted by thoughts of the 75 I managed to get a 135/2.8 I from Guy, and then I stumbled onto a Visoflex III, which I fell in love with, but didn't have a proper lens for. The 280/4.8 Telyt-V was next, and I have just ordered a CV21/4 for those wide-angle, but not super-wide angle shots. At this point, I think I can hold myself in check, except that I will use my 30% coupon on the 28 Cron Asph, and may get some kind of macro lens, and a bellows. I did also find a beautiful 1st generation 75 Lux. My old days of having no money are way past me. Now I am looking at a deep financial pit (carefully managed though it is), which will take me 18 months to recover from. And I don't have any studio lights yet...

But I am smiling.

I have a M6 and a M6TTL as well as a M7 and 6 M lenses.

Oh by the way I have a R7 two R8s and a R9 as well as 5 R lenses.

Why do I need a M8?

I don't know!

But I just ordered one to replace my Nikon D70

The real reason is the quality of the finished product (the Photos)

is much better using Leica Lenses.

Oh if any one needs a Leica film body let me know. The black hole needs filling.

I hope it is ok to say this!

Steve

It's not us...it's Leica's fault.

I was very happily puttering around just a few thousand dollars into Canon L glass and with three Canon bodies (1 film, 20D, 5D) when I ran into this forum (I can't even remember how I got here) and I lurked around for awhile and started reading everything I could. Next thing I know someone's posting the availability of M8's at different vendors and I find myself emailing Photo Village and asking them to hold a body for me. Then I'm subscribing to Steve Reid's awesome site (worth every penny) and pouring through lens comparison articles and thinking about different kinds of bokeh. Wake up from a dream to find myself buying a M8, SD cards, neoprene cover, a 28/2.0, and a grip. And I'm smiling as I walk out of the store!

And I tell myself that one lens is enough, that this is just a hobby after all and.... but then someone announced the Nocti price increase and you know, are there any out there?! Tony Rose must have one, right? Yep and now it's mine.

My Domke bag doesn't fit my daily carry the way I want so, another Domke, and an A&A later. Hmmh, that Leica Classics looks really good.

I've never had so much fun spending money.

2000 photos later (plus Aperture and LR) I need a NAS (1500 to Infrant for a Ready NAS NV+) and that new Airport Extreme looks like it could allow me to do wireless backup from the living room.

A second body? That might require some negociation with my wife.

Hi..my name is Jeff and I'm a Leicaholic

Put it in perspective folks. The M8 is a wonderful prof. tool. I t will make us a lot more $ than it cost. My brother in law is a contractor, he just spent 40 grand on a dirt mover...see perspective.

Not buying my point of view?...Neither did my wife.

Ok, so I am a newby and a lurker. Thanks to you people I have caught the disease! Now to start selling my old Nikon S2 and all the Canon gear. That way the new M8 will be at no additional cost. At least that is what I told my wifey. Her reply was she knew she was in trouble last month when she saw me searching around the internet.

Hey, guys, just think...sailing, or even golf, would cost more than your M8 and lenses.....tell your significant other that you are thinking of a sailboat and you will get all the encouragement you need to expand your photography instead.....of course, unless you decide to do a photo essay on sailing or golf....

Yes! I AM thinking about a second body! This is nuts! Am I mad?!

But it seems to make so much sense...

I think you should get a second body, but in order to avoid family and conscience problems I could look after it and send you the pics I make with it :-)

I can help out any M8 users who want a cure.....it will require sending your M8 to me along with your favourite lens. I shall charge you for one tube of epoxy and a small handling charge. There will be no more secret lens purchases after that!

Chris

Jeff,

Some recommendations:

1. Put a small ad in the yellow pages-'Photographer for Hire'. (Get a new phone number for the ad. Never answer that phone.)

2. Get a good CPA. (A really good one)

3. File an amended tax return if you have already filed this year, writing off your equipment, and at least one room of your home.

Understand the IRS only gets concerned if you don't make any money for 5 years or so. Should be able to pick another body in that time (probably up to the M8.6, with v.15.426 firmware, with at least 4-5 more lenses.

That should quell your concerns. (For 5 years or so.)

Jerry

Guest guy_mancuso

That was good Robert. Talk about temptation . I actually have 5 letters they keep sending them to reminding to use 2 of them. Is this not like the line we hear all the time but it was on sale and just had to get it. Well it works both ways does it not. Not in this house. ROTFLMAO