M8 - Black Hole for your Wallet!

Jager

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This isn't about blobs or banding or color shifts or power problems or anything like that. No, this is much worse. I hope it serves as a word of warning to those of you haven't yet bought an M8. Save yourselves while you can...

As background... I have long loved photography. I've shot with both Canon and Nikon stuff. And though I still love film, I quickly embraced the DSLR ethic once that became reasonably affordable. More than anything, though, I love rangefinders. It was an M7, usually loaded with Tri-X, which accompanied me to work every day the last few years.

Anyway, when the initial rumors of the digital M began circulating, I knew I'd end up buying one. The marriage of the Leica world I loved with the DSLR quality and convenience I had come to rely on, was just too compelling a thing to ignore.

Now I'm neither a rich guy, nor am I a professional photographer. There's no opportunity for me to deduct gear purchases as a business expense. And I can't rationalize spending lots of money with the thought of all-the-new-revenue which will be coming in. It's just a hobby for me, albeit one I take seriously. So the thought of spending $5K on a camera was... well, kind of breathtaking.

I rationalized it, though. And even managed to include the newly-announced 28 Elmarit, in order to gain back the 35 FOV I have long loved on my M6 and M7. The fact that the price point of the new Elmarit was "affordable" (you know you're not in Kansas anymore when you can say that!) was a big help. I figured this was a one-shot deal, after all. One moment of financial pain, then it'd be over.

But, alas, then the M8 arrived. And things quickly began to go awry.

I should have known I was sliding towards the abyss when, during that first week, the last thing I'd be thinking about when I laid down to go to sleep... was my new M8. And the first thing I'd think of when I awoke... was the same damn thing!

And then, of course, there were no 28 Elmarits to be had. And so I started thinking - usually a bad sign - that, you know, that 28 Cron ASPH might not be a bad way to go, after all. And sure enough, after debating it a week and then sending a simple little query to Tony Rose about availability - I was just curious, really - and his modest suggestion that he could overnight it if I wanted, and there you go. I swear I could see the faintest little traces of a smile on Tony's face, even over the telephone line.

And, of course, that lens didn't help.

Weeks went by and I could feel myself getting sicker. I've got a Noctilux and a current-generation 50 Cron, so I needed another 50 like I needed a hole in the head. But my favorite lens on my film Leicas over the last couple years has been the 35 Lux ASPH. Just an astonishingly lens. So good that when Leica introduced the 50 Lux ASPH a few years back, it set that teasing little voice in the back of my head to nattering away. You know, the one that kept saying "you could have the same thing in a 50...". With remarkable restraint, I had managed to ignore it. But the M8 had re-lit all that. Having fallen under its spell, I was growing weaker...

Sigh. Another week went by and I sent an email to Tony. Leica lenses had dried up everywhere and, again - I swear - I was just curious, idly wondering when he might be getting any in. That was when Tony told me that Leica USA was back-ordered over a thousand lenses. He had no idea when more would be coming in but, hey, how about this: he could take my order and have Leica drop-ship the lens to me when it came in. And for being such a good customer, Jeff, here's a bit of a price-break.

Oh geez.

The camera and lenses aren't the only things. There's been software (C1 Pro and Lightroom; CS3 whenever it ships); a new tripod (Gitzo Traveler GT-1540T; Markins Q3 ball head; Kirk Arca-Swiss plate) for my motorcycle trips; a couple of camera bags (Domke and Artisan and Artist); SD cards and reader; another 500MB external drive and Apple Airport Extreme router (for a wireless NAS), since I'm shooting a lot more; extra battery, Zirk lens pouches, Patronus screen protectors, Leica lens cleaning cloths; and an SF-24D (I never would have believed I'd ever use flash on a Leica M - but the M8 brings to bear much of the flash technology from the DSLR world).

Oh, and a bottle of Lagavulin. I told myself that was to celebrate this wonderful new world I've entered. But who ever heard of celebrating a disease?

And now there's that WATE. And the 75 Cron.

Those who have not yet taken the pill, run while you can...

Jeff

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Jeff

At least you aren't the only sufferer - the only difference between us is that I have the WATE instead of the Noctilux, and it's Talisker rather than Lagavullin - and it's Robert White rather than popflash!

Have you got that urge for the second body yet?

This is hysterical. I knew I wasn't the only one. Let me just tell you what my spending spree entailed.

I started out with a black laquer MP, a 50mm summicron, a 75 summilux, and (yes, I am very lucky) my pride and joy, the handmade first version 35 summilux aspherical, which by the way exhibits no focus shift and is tack sharp and probably my most used lens.

So here it goes. I bought the M8, and to replace my beloved 35mm focal length, I just had to have the 28mm summicron because of course you need a fast wide angle. Then of course you need something even a little wider that will work great on the MP as well: 21mm Zeiss - check.

My friend, who also just bought an M8 buys the 75mm summicron, which is bounds and leaps better than my 75 lux, which I immediately decide to sell. Well there's a drop in the bucket for you. I go on Ebay, and see a demo 75cron for ONLY $2,000. So who can say no to this? I certainly couldn't.

When I bought my M8, I asked my sales person to bring me either a 75 lux or a 50 lux to make sure the rangefinder focuses correctly. And what does the guy give me? A 50 lux in black laquer, which looks so beautiful on my M8 and would look even better on my MP that I just have to buy one right away, since after all, it is a very rare item that will be hard to find once I have money again.

Other than that: Luigi case - check, handgrip - check, C1 Pro upgrade - check, SD cards and spare batteries - check, Domke bag - check, Artisan and Artist bag - check (I'll still need a bigger one for both cameras at the same time), harddrive - check, arctic butterfly - check.

And if this wasn't enough, Tony tells me about the price increase of the Noctilux and that I better use my 30% voucher on this lens. And come on, who doesn't need a third 50mm?

But I promise that's it. After the Noctilux, no more! ... maybed a second M8, the Zeiss 15mm, a Macro lens, an old 35 cron for its beautiful bokeh ... AAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!

Guest WPalank

Jeff,

Have you seen the performance in the US stock market lately? Those dollars that you poured into Leica gear have held their value much better than any dollars you might of pumped into the market when this all began. Tell your wife it's a new sort of IRA!:cool:

Advertisement (gone after registration)

That's a good idea, because I don't think she buys my story that Leica lenses are like bunny rabbits. Every time you put them in a dark, red-lined camera bag, nine days later, the mailman comes and brings a new little Leica lens, and sometimes you will be surprised whether it is a cron or a lux.

Seriously, the best way to deal with wives is to buy so much gear that they can't possibly tell which is which anymore, just keep it all the same color!

it is all Guy Mancuso's fault...or maybe the 30% dangling carrot...now I'm thinking of selling my CV15, using the 30% on the WATE, then selling the 24,(since that is too close to the 21), getting a 28/2.0, keeping the 50/1.4, looking at the 75/2.

it may be the only cure for temptation to satisfy it. Guy may be on to something

That's a very humorous piece, Jeff. It's a bit like something I'd expect David Pogue to write in his New York TImes gear column. It also sounds a bit like the old Marx Brothers' routine from "Day At the Races". (Groucho: "Zvbrex...what does that mean? What horse is that?" Chico: "Just look it up in your Breeders' Guide." Groucho: "Breeders' Guide? I don't have a Breeders' Guide!" Chico: "You don't have a Breeders' Guide? Well all the rest of those books you just bought are useless if you don't have a Breeders' Guide!" Groucho: "Do you know where I can get a Breeders' Guide?")

I know your feeling and offer one caution. If photography is what interests you be wary of letting process and instruments consume more of your imagination than PRODUCT (photographs). Otherwise you become primarily a camera collector. The Leica Historical Society of America, for example, is populated mostly by older men who have loved and collected Leica products for decades but who, frankly, are mostly not very accomplished photographers. Many of these men (and, yes, they're nearly all men) can recite the details of every M lens ever created but can still only take the most basic snapshots with any camera.

Another exhibit of men, this time mostly young, who have unknowingly become collectors rather than aspiring photographers can be seen at forums like Fred Miranda. Look at the inventory "signatures" that some of the Canon and Nikon folks create for themselves. These boys like every little piece of camera kit they own as if they were military service ribbons.

There's nothing wrong with that as long as you know you're being overcome by matters that have nothing really to do with photography. But remember that acquisition is not a synonym for photographic accomplishment.

Meanwhile have fun with your wonderful new M8!

Guest guy_mancuso
it is all Guy Mancuso's fault...or maybe the 30% dangling carrot...now I'm thinking of selling my CV15, using the 30% on the WATE, then selling the 24,(since that is too close to the 21), getting a 28/2.0, keeping the 50/1.4, looking at the 75/2.

it may be the only cure for temptation to satisfy it. Guy may be on to something

Now you guys know what goes through my head. Jeff face it the band is around your arm and just looking for the needle. Your a junkie. LOL I mean that in the most pleasant way.

This is a disease and yes I am absolutely NO help. i tend to be the virus that spreads it around, i love this stuff. Honestly I have done this with the R system too bought everything than settled on the perfect lineup and i have done it with the M also. For me the Wate makes the most sense, 28 cron because it is the fastest wide angle, 50 lux is the most versatile with bokeh and sharpness, 75 lux is the dream but stop me down a little and i will rip your eyes out, the 90 cron becuase it is fast and long for many things needed. oh the 35 1.4 is the night lens. After that you have those unique lenses 50 nocti, 135 3.4 because you want to get OUT there. Than we have the all tempting Visoflex for pure fun in the sun.

My advice to anyone sitting on a 30 percent is the WATE or the Nocti. It simply is the best deal. so is the 28 cron. i am siting on 2 30 percents and a wife with a knife at my throat. LOL

Hi Jeff,

Seems to me this thing is really "catchy". I don't even have my M8 yet, nor do I own any Leica glass. So, my M8's coming in next week, with the 90 Elmar/Macro Combo. The 28 Elmarit is so far on backorder that no one knows when it will come in. Well, I've been sitting here and justifying to myself why I need this and why I need that. Simply put, I ordered a 135 Tele Elmar (one of the last ones made with the built in hood) before I even have the camera (often work on the long end for animal shots). Now there has been this awful discussion here about the Visoflex and all the possibilities that that open up...

Leica phoned me last week to tell me my camera is in customs, and that they have spare batteries coming in too. "Oh just send one of those along as well would you...". Since the 28 is not coming in, and I need a wide angle for my landscape work, now I'm thinking in terms of 21/24mm. In addition to that, I've got to look at a new camera bag (you can not possibly put an M8 into a used old bag...), not to mention SD cards etc.

What this is all saying, rest assured, you're not alone! I hope that at the very least Leica still loves us, especially when our partners don't anymore...

They should actually sell the M8 with a "health" warning - lol.

Andreas

Hi Guy,

Your awful discussion about the Visoflex and all the possibilities that that opens up has certainly not helped me either... Now I catch myself surfing around the net just looking to pick up one of those aswell. Not to mention the 65mm and a 280mm to go along with that...

Andreas

Ken, your comments about how gear can oftentimes become an end unto itself is both perceptive and wise. In my case I can say that the equipment itself does little for me. It's always a case of rationalizing what it will do, how a new lens will render.

I didn't mention printers, but I'm also thinking of getting one of the new Epson 3800's - because ultimately I'm focused on output. The camera and lens and software are all simply tools towards that end.

When I was a kid, my aunt was a nurse in Ohio and came to know one of the baseball players on the then-world-champion Cincinnati Reds baseball team. Through that connection she received - and subsequently gave to me - a genuine, autographed by the whole team, baseball. What did I do with it?

I played with it! Eventually wearing away the ink from all those autographs.

I never could understand collecting... ;-)

Jeff

I got a crayon and scrawled on the mirror "Stop me before I buy more Leica stuff".

My wife is great about this, so I don't get grief, just my own guilt -- until the next time.

Too late, Guy! The WATE thread was the first thing I jumped into when I got up this morning.

Before, I was perfectly happy thinking the CV 15 would do me for my super-wide needs. Thanks a lot, buddy!

Jeff

My name is Pete and I am a Leicaholic.

There, that's my first step on the road to being cured at this inaugural meeting of LA (Leicaholics Anonymous). Oh yeah, and I've got to remember to stop fondling and buying Leica gear.

Fat chance! :D

For me, Leica equipment just reinforces that there is NO substitute for quality. :)

Pete.