Help me decide my first M setup!

Owem

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello, I'm a teenager photographer who would like to by a M system on a budget. Possibly below ~850$.

Thing's I'd like.

-The body must be compatible with the Voigtlander 15mm Screwmount with an adapter.

-A meter would be ideal, but not absolutely necessary.

-Good viewfinder

-At least somewhat stable

I don't reall have any specification on lenses, other than I already know I'd get a 15mm 4.5 screwmount. If you have any other opinion such as getting a R setup, please tell me!

Welcome to the LEICA-Forum..

For a sensible start you could try a LEICA M2. But in case you funds allow

an M6, go for this newer model. It has the lightmeter incorporated, VERY useful.

If you want to go automatic, have a look at the M7, VERY much recommended.

Buying secondhand I would strongly recommend to buy from a reputable dealer

and arrange for a warranty. Buying from eBay might lead to the fact, that the seller

refuses to take the item back in case of a qualityproblem. Older mechanical

cameras do show these from time to time.

Don´t hesitate to go beyong your financial limit. It´s always worth with a LEICA ...

Best

GEORG

Edited by k_g_wolf
  • Like 1

Check that you can use a 15mm on the CL, it may foul the meter.

What about a screw mount Leica such as a lllc? Or yes there are the Voigtlanders. The M2 is one of the least expensive Leica M bodies, don't worry too much about cosmetics as long as the rangefinder/viewfinder and mechanics are good.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Check that you can use a 15mm on the CL, it may foul the meter.

What about a screw mount Leica such as a lllc? Or yes there are the Voigtlanders. The M2 is one of the least expensive Leica M bodies, don't worry too much about cosmetics as long as the rangefinder/viewfinder and mechanics are good.

"The CL can take nearly all the Leica M lenses. Exception are some lenses that protrude deep into the body and could hurt the meter arm, these include: 15mm/8 Hologon" Does this mean the Voigtlander 15mm doesn't work on it? If so I can't use it.

I am fortunate to have the M2, M6,M7 and the CL.

I use the CL the most by far, and then the others.

Main reasons are

Very compact

Excellent light meter

Most intuitive handling

Lightweight

I nearly always use the 40mm cron or similar as a lens.

It is my favorite camera.

All the other cameras noted are probably better built but not really noticeable in day to day use.

If you want the heft of an M then go for the M2 or M6.If you want to keep budget down but enjoy a marvelous Leica then go for the CL.

here the last shot I posted from the CL

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/people/258499-1st-football.html#post2208007

Andy

"The CL can take nearly all the Leica M lenses. Exception are some lenses that protrude deep into the body and could hurt the meter arm, these include: 15mm/8 Hologon" Does this mean the Voigtlander 15mm doesn't work on it? If so I can't use it.

No, it does not mean that. I used the Voigtländer 12mm (twelve) on the CL without any problems at all. The Hologon is quite another lens.

The only problem I had with the CL was that the exposure meter worked at times and didn't at other times. That was, however, just this particular instance, and would not be a grave problem for many kinds of photography.

Welcome to the forum Owen.

Is $850 to include a lens? Then your options will be a bit limited but certainly not bad. The CL is an option - it can probably be had with the excellent 40 Summicron for that money. Barnacks are delightful, lighweight and meterless cameras in their own right and shouldn't be overlooked. I love using my II and the Summitar and even bring it when I go for a jog, it is that tiny and light.

Without a lens it's quite easy to find M bodies without meters within your budget. The important thing is to make sure it is optically (VF and RF) and mechanically (buttons, knobs and film operation) in good condition. People pay lots of unnecessary money for cosmetic condition imho.

The general rule is to buy from a dealer because they usually offer som form of warranty and right to return which may save peace of mind and possibly cash.

If you go the M route the next question is if you like using lenses sider than 35mm without goggles. If no, then an M3 is an option (though being considered as a bit of an icon camera they usually cost a bit more). The VF is really magnificent - you'll find loooots of opinion on this - but in actual use I haven't found the 0.72x VF my TTL to be worse.

The M2 is an very good alternative as is the M4 variants. The -P and -2 are usually siginificantly cheaper than the M4 proper.

M6 and M7 will cost more but are of course great cameras.

• Like 1

Lot´s of good advice already. I would only have a problem with the

CL/ CLE-recommendation. There is hardly any repairstation left for these.

In case of a failure these two are write-offs.

And: an M4-2 and/ or M4-P could also be in >> the limit << and - of course -

any BESSA could do the job as well, esp. for a novice.Then a real LEICA will follow in

due course, IMO.

Then that´s really out of limits financially, once the trigger is pulled ...

Best

GEORG

• Like 1

It sounds like the CL, M2 and M4-P are some options to consider.

I have never had a chance to shoot with the CL or M2 but the M4-P is a great camera. It has no internal meter which is not an issue if you are accustomed to hand metering.

Good luck in your search - it's great to hear that people are returning to film based photography. It lacks the instant gratification of digital but more than makes up for it in other ways.

Thanks for the help and the opinions everyone! I've narrowed it down to getting a Leica CL or M4-2(or M4-P, which ever shows up). I'll be getting a Voigtlander 15mm f4.5 screwmount (with an adapter, obviously), and maybe eventually a 40mm cron from Minolta, or another 3rd party m lens, such as a Zeiss. However, I may save up for a good real Leica cron lens, perhaps lux some day.

If there are any objections (such as compatibility, or last notes), please speak now!

To start with a 15mm is tough. On film the very wide angles show a lot of grain in the details and they are difficult to find right exposures for starters. If you work with an incident light meter it would help a lot

Thanks for the help and the opinions everyone! I've narrowed it down to getting a Leica CL or M4-2(or M4-P, which ever shows up). I'll be getting a Voigtlander 15mm f4.5 screwmount (with an adapter, obviously), and maybe eventually a 40mm cron from Minolta, or another 3rd party m lens, such as a Zeiss. However, I may save up for a good real Leica cron lens, perhaps lux some day.

If there are any objections (such as compatibility, or last notes), please speak now!

None from me. Interestingly a thread was just begun on the Summicron 40 so if you co for the CL consider that as a useful complement to the 15mm (which I agree is a rather difficult - and unusual, but that's actually a good thing - starter lens).

• Like 1

It's sort of like when I bought my D3100 and only would shoot in manual for the first month until I knew how to use it, I think the 15mm won't be as hard as figuring out M to someone how knows nothing about cameras expect for the amount of megapickles. I like a challenge, that's why I shoot film.

• Like 1