35mm Summicron version III pre-ASPH Midland lens questions

Messsucherkamera

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am considering buying a copy of this lens from an acquaintance and am interested in feedback from M shooters who use or have used this lens. Is it a lens that you would recommend? Please share your experiences with this lens.

I am also wondering what would be considered a fair price to both seller and buyer (I understand that price will vary with condition of the lens) .

Any information that can be offered will be greatly appreciated.

Advanced thanks to all who comment. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Go for it. Made better than version 4, performance the same. Just make sure it is clean inside by shining a keychain light from both sides and looking from the other. Check for smooth focus and it is calibrated properly. Diaphragm should work smoothly.

Performance is only marginally better with the ASPH 2.0 I compared and kept mine.

I have only briefly shot with one and a the comparison pictures wide open to a MkI and MkII, was very positive. It seemed to have a little more contrast and depth than the II and looked very classic, not quite the charm of the I, but very nice indeed. I am also a fan of the MKIV stopped down but I would buy a III in a flash to be honest, unloved for no good reason it would seem.

In any event I don't think you will be disappointed