Lumix true or false

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Big thumb-prints - that's the trick...

Regards,

Bill

Sent from another Galaxy

That's another issue Bill. The Japanese workers eat their Sushi lunch with chopsticks and have clean fingers, whereas the Leica workers, on the separate special Leica production line within the Panasonic factory have their own canteen and eat Bratwurst with the curry sauce (hands) and then a slice of Strudel (hands again).

If you are unfortunate enough to buy a Pana-Leica made after lunch it will probably be lower quality than the Panasonic version due to smudges of curry sauce and strudel on the lenses and sensors.

True story apparently.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

]I would imagine the Leica product and the Panasonic product will be built on the same production line in batches as needed. Why double up production costs with a separate line dedicated to a lower volume camera?

My Leica V-Lux in marked "made in Japan"

My wife's Lumix is marked " made in China"

Nuff said.

]I would imagine the Leica product and the Panasonic product will be built on the same production line in batches as needed. Why double up production costs with a separate line dedicated to a lower volume camera?

My Leica V-Lux in marked "made in Japan"

My wife's Lumix is marked " made in China"

Nuff said.

They are completely different models thought aren't they (as you've been corrected in another thread on this subject).

Just for the benefit of others, there will be a Panasonic model, equivalent to the Leica C/V/D whatever. It will be identical in technical terms.

Panasonic are also able to use Leica branded lenses on their much larger range of digital cameras and video cameras.

Amateur Photographer magazine recently quoted Leica on this subject. Leica have now stated that their versions differ in body design, the Leica accessories range, and the PP software they bundle with the camera.

Let me repeat - technically (lens, sensor, image processing) they are the same camera. There's no need to perpetuate this myth that they are somehow magically better.

The package (software, warranty etc) is better, if that's important to you.

If you are unfortunate enough to buy a Pana-Leica made after lunch it will probably be lower quality than the Panasonic version due to smudges of curry sauce and strudel on the lenses and sensors.

German industrial workers drink beer with lunch (I've been there and seen it). That's an even better reason to buy a camera made before lunch.

Of course, the three-martini lunches American bankers are said to prefer may explain part of the predicament we're in, and I came to have high respect for the German people and culture, in the four years I lived there.

I haven't posted here in a very long time, as I have only one "Leica" camera, the D-Lux 2, now a digital-age antique, sitting on a shelf in my den with some old Exaktas and a Canon Elph. I keep the two batteries for the D-Lux 2 charged for those times I take the camera out and snap some shots to see if I can at last find that elusive special Leica photo magic. Anyhow, I have had an enjoyable time poring over this thread. Wishful thinking, unlike digicams, is never outdated.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a V-Lux 30 and my wife a Lumix DMC-FS35,and they are very different. To start with the Leica is made in Japan and the Lumix in China, hardly parallel production lines!

The cases look similar, they were both allegedly designed by Audi. The Leica has a greater range of optical zoom Shutter 60secs to 1/4000th sec. Zoom -35mm equivalent of 24 to 384 mm etc etc. Oh and I forgot;:) the Leica cost ten times the cost of the Lumix.

I have a V-Lux 30 and my wife a Lumix DMC-FS35,and they are very different. To start with the Leica is made in Japan and the Lumix in China, hardly parallel production lines!

The cases look similar, they were both allegedly designed by Audi. The Leica has a greater range of optical zoom Shutter 60secs to 1/4000th sec. Zoom -35mm equivalent of 24 to 384 mm etc etc. Oh and I forgot;:) the Leica cost ten times the cost of the Lumix.

Sorry you're wrong. The Panasonic version of the Vlux 30 is the Lumix TZ20. Look up and compare the specs.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife saw someone using a V Lux 4 and said she wanted one. I ordered her the Lumix FZ200 clone. I've got Lightroom, though I doubt seriously she will ever use it. And the Lumix with 1 year warranty cost less than half of the V Lux 4 with a 2 year warranty, so worst-case if it goes tits up after a year, I can replace it (most likely with an updated model) for less than what I would have paid for the "Leica" in the first place. I'm a Leica guy from way back, I've had dozens of M cameras, a few R cameras, an M8 and M9 and probably will have an M240 one of these days. But when it comes to the Panaleicas I'll go with the Lumixes. I've got an LX5 (D Lux 5 clone). Nice little backup.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Well, I'm new here..... So is my D-Lux6. Why did I go for the Leica over the Panasonic?

1/ The Leica was the 100yrs version and came with a really nice little case. The Panasonic didn't.

2/ I needed some photo software, so Lightroom was an advantage.

3/ It just looked nicer.

Then when it arrived.......

1/ It also had a nice little bag besides the case. Excellent for keeping the charger and other bits. Really useful.

2/ It felt nice to handle and looked jus that bit more classy than the equivalent Panasonic.

My old camera was a Cannon, good for it's day, but it died. The current Cannon equivalent is just plain UGLY.

And now a few months on.

I'm actually inspired to go out to take photographs just for the fun of it. I never did that with the Cannon, it was just a tool.

I'm getting interested in the whole Leica thing, and I'm here.......

So what does one get over the Panasonic. Technically in the camera, probably nothing really tangible, in the package, some nice things that just make it more complete. In the whole experience. A bit of pride of ownership and some inspiration to do just a bit more.

I really like my little Leica.....

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I also think if something is wrong with the camera, Leica will be easier to deal with than Panasonic.

Photography is subjective, not objective, therefore it's valid to include your heart in the consideration of the camera purchase. If a particular brand inspires you, makes you feel good, whatever, you will enjoy using that camera more than a camera from someone else.

This is an example of what I mean

New Leica T-Type 701