Sign in to follow this  
mr5roses

Lumix true or false

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've been happy with my Lumix cameras, which I chose partly because they had Leica lenses. I'm tempted to go Leica, but I constantly read that a given Lumix model is a Leica in all but price. Is it so?

Almost.

First, with the Leica version you get a much longer warantee, and having dealt with both Leica's and Panasonic's service departments, I can tell you that Leica's is far more responsive and far more willing to accept responsibility when appropriate.

Second, better processing software comes with the Leica version of the same camera. Depending on what software you already have this may or may not be meaningful.

Third, some (if not all) of the Leica versions have different default settings in their in-camera software.

Fourth, usually the Leica version comes with a larger capacity SD card, but if you are well enough stocked with SD cards this may not matter.

Fifth, all else being equal, the resale value of the Leica version will be higher.

You have to decide if those things, plus the red dot are important enough to you.

Edited by stuny

Thanks for responding. By software do you mean Adobe Lightroom, which I'm not crazy about, or the software/firmware aboard the camera?

Thanks for responding. By software do you mean Adobe Lightroom, which I'm not crazy about, or the software/firmware aboard the camera?

Stuart is referring to the software to load onto your computer for post processing etc.

He also mentions that some models are said to have different camera firmware settings. This may have been the case for the original digilux models but Leica have never stated it as fact, nor denied it, and I've never seen any photographic evidence of said differences (the Panasonic was said to show more saturated colours).

Interestingly, someone who owned 2 Digilux 2 cameras posted identical images from them, same subject, same time etc., and the colour/contrast of each was different!

Even if there were firmward differences you could 'correct' them in PP anyway.

But Stuart has outlined all the other points to consider between buying the Leica or Panasonic version of whatever camera.

Edited by earleygallery

One other point.

After two LX models I made the move from Panasonic to Leica with the D-Lux 4 specifically because the Leica took a separate, larger handgrip. The Panasonic handles more like a compact, the Leica more like a real camera for those with larger hands.

Regards,

Bill

I agree with you Bill. Not just with PanaLeicas. I find the grip invaluable with my X1 and M8/9 cameras and my M3/6 film cameras. It is not just big hands, but later in life arthritic hands.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'll chime in with a hearty recommendation to the grip as well. The design totally alters the balance in a good way so it doesn't feel so small.

But if you intend to go all out and get the EVF here I would say, get the version from Panasonic and pocket the change for another SD card if you'd like.

Or a nice meal.

P

Another difference in addition to those already quoted, my D-Lux5 came with a Passport aditional warantee which includes accidental damage to the camera.

You can also check real world pictures from each camera at http://flickrhivemind.net/flickr_hvmnd.cgi?search_domain=Tags&textinput=leica,DLUX5&search_type=Search+Tags&photo_number=50&photo_type=250&sort=Interestingness&page=1&tag_mode=all and http://flickrhivemind.net/Tags/lx5/Interesting.

Some of the Panasonic pictures look more saturated but that is very possibly due to post processing. There's also host of in-camera settings you can choose such as "nature", "dynamic", etc.

Bottom line, I don't think you will go wrong with either and as you say, the Leica lens is excellent. Both are made in Japan, so quality is excellent.

Edited by NZDavid

One other point.

After two LX models I made the move from Panasonic to Leica with the D-Lux 4 specifically because the Leica took a separate, larger handgrip.

Regards,

Bill

I also have a D-Lux 4 and usually use it with the handgrip and 24mm optical VF.

Have seen no reason to upgrade it to the newer models.

Same here. It's a great camera and I think it looks and feels better in my hands than the panasonic version. Is that worth the extra money? When it comes to something like that only you have the answer

Hi, mr5roses,

I posted an article on the LC5 v D5 argument some while ago and an American highly regarded photo mag

did a studio test of both cameras and found that in RAW mode, the Leica D-Lux5 produced far superior sharpness amongst other things. The 2 year warranty and excellent after sales service is certainly to be considered. I have both the Digilux 2 and the D-Lux5 together with a stable of Nikon cameras and lenses. Don't know what it is, but the Leicas have a quality that when I use them I just smile with pleasure. Not so the Nikons, they are just cameras.

I never take photographs with the Leica's, just sit and hold them, (only joking!). Enjoy your photography.

jhc.

That American mag must've gotten their hands on a messed-up sample of the Lumix. I had a Leica DLux2, then the 3. I now own an LX5, after having compared images with those taken with my friend's DLux5. Absolutely no difference whatsoever. Both cameras are made by Panasonic in Panasonic's factory. Under the skin they are identical. Yes they are bundled with different software. That's a non-issue with me because I have LR already. Yes the warranty is longer on the Leica version and the resale might be higher, but the Leica costs twice as much to start with. I own an M9, so am not averse to spending big bucks on a camera. But when it comes to these re-branded Panaleicas I can't find any good reason for me to pay double just to have that red logo.

I think the America magazine you mention shouldn't be relied upon for any test reports!

As said, both cameras are made on the same assembly line in the Panasonic factory. The only excuse to find a difference in the lens quality is if there was a fault of some sort they didn't notice.

I understand the appeal of the red dot, and the warranty certainly has a value. But they are essentially the same product once you remove the 'Leica glow' from the equation.

Apparently according to Leica they have there own production line running parallel with the Pany for quality control etc.

Confucius say In the end we all believe what we want to believe!

I would imagine the Leica product and the Panasonic product will be built on the same production line in batches as needed. Why double up production costs with a separate line dedicated to a lower volume camera?

Steve

Apparently according to Leica they have there own production line running parallel with the Pany for quality control etc.

Confucius say In the end we all believe what we want to believe!

Yes, and apparently the Panasonic cameras are made from all the parts Leica reject, and they tread on the lens elements before handing them over to ensure the picture quality won't be as good, and they insisted that Panasonic screw up their firmware so that it's not as good as Leicas.

Big thumb-prints - that's the trick...

Regards,

Bill

Sent from another Galaxy