Testing the New WATE

Guest guy_mancuso

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Now I am impressed nothing done here just shot at 16mm f4 at ISO 640 . Forget the lens look at the damn range of the M8. In LR i shot this from my hip and guessed at the focusing

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One rule living in the Desert don't get drunk and try and hug a cactus. This is a Cholla or jumping cholla we like to call it 16mm at 5.6 at the minimum focusing. I am very close to this and they literally do jump off..

okay enough for now , i have house stuff to do. LOL

Nize AZ shots Guy! It is still a winterwonderland here. My 30% lens will be the WATE!

Thanks

Tom

It's just not fair. We in Europe did not get the lens discount voucher and we generally paid more for our M8's too than across the Atlantic boo-hoo. It would be a really nice gesture if Leica included said voucher with our filters to encourage us to put in that order for a WATE.

Guy, do you think you really need that "Magnificent Hulk" finder or can you manage by estimation. I would be much more likely to go for a WATE if I could manage without the finder. I am having no trouble with the Biogon 21 and even managing quite well with the Zenitar 16mm. Your WATE images are giving me an itch in my wallet.

Wilson

Guest guy_mancuso

I shot all of these without any finder at all. I guessed at everything . LOL i used just the camera. i ordered a Zeiss 15mm finder will get here tuesday. You really need something for at least the 16mm setting for 21 i just use the full rangerfinder frame and get a little extra. The WATE finder is nice though, I played with one at PMA and it does it all for sure. But the Zeiss 21 finder has straight lines so i ordered that.The beauty of digital is you can shoot than reframe and shoot again.

Guest guy_mancuso

Alright I won't show any more after these , this makes it to tempting but I am seeing from 5.6 down this rocks the house at F4 it is very good but the optimum looks like 5.6 down

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It's just not fair. We in Europe did not get the lens discount voucher and we generally paid more for our M8's too than across the Atlantic boo-hoo.

Wilson, yes we did. Provided that you paid for your M8 in full before the end of January. It was the same deal as in the States.

I shot all of these without any finder at all. I guessed at everything . LOL i used just the camera. i ordered a Zeiss 15mm finder will get here tuesday. You really need something for at least the 16mm setting for 21 i just use the full rangerfinder frame and get a little extra. The WATE finder is nice though, I played with one at PMA and it does it all for sure. But the Zeiss 21 finder has straight lines so i ordered that.The beauty of digital is you can shoot than reframe and shoot again.

Guy, You have picked up the Leica technique - where finders are more of a 'gunsight' for aiming than composing. Chimping enables a check not available with film. Digital has enabled the M to evolve!!

Tom

Guy, you ordered the *15mm* Zeiss finder? Why not the 21mm?

Guy, nice images as usual.

It seems the only sensible thing to do would be to have the 16/18/21 mounted on one M8 and the 28/35/50 mounted on a second M8 and then get a third body (M8 of course) to use for swapping out the Lux's and Cron's!

Guy,

Regarding finders, I have a 21 with a finder and with the M8, I find I skip using the finder and just check the readout to see the edges, as you have been doing. Something impossible with my former M6. I no longer travel with the finder.

I am interested in the WATE but I may well need the 2.8

Your interior shots show the value of a 16 but I have come to shoot professional interiors with a Canon D1s with a 24-shift with a shift left and right for a pan in photoshop. I also have a zuiko 16 with a adaptor for the EOS mount that has been useful. Wish it could go on the M. But for fun, I no longer carry a DSLR, and the M8 is wonderful for all else.

However, since someone wished you had tested your 21 vs the WATE @ 21 before you shipped off the 21, I would be happy to loan you my 21 for that comparison. I am in Phoenix for the rest of the month. If you are interested let me know.

Jack

Mark -

Sign me up for one of your modified hood connectors, if you do go into production!

And think about how the filter glass is secured...glue isn't the best way perhaps - it could flow onto the filter and destroy it, or if it doesn't hold the filter might bang into the front element?

It's just not fair. We in Europe did not get the lens discount voucher and we generally paid more for our M8's too than across the Atlantic boo-hoo. It would be a really nice gesture if Leica included said voucher with our filters to encourage us to put in that order for a WATE.

Guy, do you think you really need that "Magnificent Hulk" finder or can you manage by estimation. I would be much more likely to go for a WATE if I could manage without the finder. I am having no trouble with the Biogon 21 and even managing quite well with the Zenitar 16mm. Your WATE images are giving me an itch in my wallet.

Wilson

Wilson, the finder is cheaper if you buy it in the package so I ordered one even though I will usually not use it, I'll just guess/chimp/learn. But the finder will be worth having for those 'sometimes' shots using a tripod and the built in spirit level when you really want to get verticals right, like architectural and interior shots.

best

t

HC, it all depends on whether you want to keep the hood....All in all, it's easy to see how Leica charge $180 for the hood and $50 for the filter holder!

Mark--

I knew there was logic behind it, just hadn't thought it through.

Thanks for the explanation!

--HC

It seems the only sensible thing to do would be to have the 16/18/21 mounted on one M8 and the 28/35/50 mounted on a second M8 and then get a third body (M8 of course) to use for swapping out the Lux's and Cron's!

Good idea, Charles! At one time there was a two-camera holder for screw-mount cameras that held two bodies, one over the other with enough room between the mounting platforms to get your fingers in to control them. I don't think it was a Leica product.

Maybe what we need is a body-reverse adapter, kind of a double baseplate that holds two cameras bottom to bottom.

And didn't Leica make a 3-lens turret for Leica M? You mounted three lenses to a metal turret which rode in front ot the camera. It made for quick, no-fumble changes. The top lens was attached to the body; the other two rode just beneath the body in the turret disc. I think there was a knob in the center of the disc which rotated and retracted all three of the mounts, allowing the disc to be rotated to put the wanted lens in front of the body. Then turning the knob the other way rotated all the mounts, pushing the top one back into the camera. Same basic idea as the three-lens turrets of the movie cameras of the day.

I saw one once but obviously don't remember it well, and I can't see how my description could work reliably for a number of reasons. Wait! I think you mounted three screw-mount lenses to it; that way you could get the lenses to register with the M body.

Of course, since each Tri-Elmar already replaces three lenses, your method is both quicker and less finicky. And who knows, probably even less expensive than the lens turret is today. :)

--HC

Guest guy_mancuso

Typical issue with real wide angles is distortion and converging lines, this is a pretty extreme example of that. Than the fix in PS and back to normal looking