Sign in to follow this  
Guest guy_mancuso

Testing the New WATE

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Something like this I sketched out a couple of months ago. This was done before I got the lens. The actual design sized from the lens is similar except the filter glass sits closer to the front lens element when the ring is mounted on the lens.

[ATTACH]29860[/ATTACH]

I think that is exactly what i just described without looking at this

Guy, the Leica filter holder and mine do the same thing, hold the filter in front of the front lens element. The Leica one is sized to allow 16mm full frame field of view, mine is sized for 16mm M8 field of view, so the filter can be smaller diameter and the standard hood can go on the front.

You say, "just an adapter"! There's quite a lot of work to get this done and the first version will likely be spray painted, not anodised. There's a limit to the amount of work I'm prepared to do - and expense - for just a filter holder!

Guest guy_mancuso

I know exactly what you are saying , the first one will look pretty ugly and a lot of work just for a filter holder but that seems like it would work perfect. Have you sent this idea to leica by chance.

Guest guy_mancuso

I can tell already it is going to work..Mark are you leaving The IR filter in it's mount or removing it and just use the glass only. From your drawing it looks like glass only and what size did you come up with

Guy, have you shipped off your 21 yet? If not, could you post a 21WATE vs. a 21/2.8 comparison shot?

Kurt

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Too late . i think just from looking at it the 21mm maybe a tad better but I need to play with this more . The images are very crisp from the WATE and having 3 focal lengths in one lens can be a real help when you can't move around plus i like the 16 to 21 difference( Visually). I agree 18mm could have been left out but still nice to have it. I know you will like it. The 16mm looks better than the CV plus you can use it more wide open and focus it. i love the CV 15mm for what it is and the price point but the WATE is a better lens from these couple shots. Not regreting selling the 21mm for it, just gives more to work with. And the biggy one less lens in the bag.

Guest guy_mancuso

What is the closets focusing on this , mine goes to 20 inches but I feel a stop at 2.25 ft

Guest guy_mancuso

Interesting this is normal than there is a bump in the road at 2.25 ft. It goes into a long explaination . Maybe want to read the tech specs on the leica site

Focusing range: 0.5 m to Infinity, range from 0.5 to 0.7 m separated by index

Scales: Combined meter/feet graduation with uniform grey figures below 0.7 m

Whew that scared the daylights out of me.

I am very impressed by the WATE's overall performance but am underwhelmed by len's front design. You need an adaptor for the requisite filter(s) and this adaptor sits precariously atop a newfangled ring with a rubber O ring. Experience with this Rube Goldberg-like contraption on the recent trip to Antarctica was very disappointing as the adaptor ring froze and the O ring malfunctionned. I will probably wait for a redesigned WATE... :D Seems eerily similar to the TE Mk1 vs Mk2 debate years ago !!

Yes, Senator, the O-ring froze ...

R. Feynman

Richard Feynman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

E.

I am very impressed by the WATE's overall performance but am underwhelmed by len's front design. You need an adaptor for the requisite filter(s) and this adaptor sits precariously atop a newfangled ring with a rubber O ring. Experience with this Rube Goldberg-like contraption on the recent trip to Antarctica was very disappointing as the adaptor ring froze and the O ring malfunctionned. I will probably wait for a redesigned WATE... :D Seems eerily similar to the TE Mk1 vs Mk2 debate years ago !!

Albert,

Very interested in your post as I am going to be taking my M8 onto and into some glaciers in Switzerland in early May. Did you make a concious effort to keep the camera warm prior to taking shots and then did you have any condensation problems? Did you have anything that your think might have been temperature related problems, in that the manual shows the lower temperature limit of only 0º C? I had huge problems trying to use my second Leica digital, a Fuji built Digilux 4.3, in low temperatures some years ago. It would only take about 2 to 3 images per set of batteries and if you will excuse the pun, tended to freeze.

Wilson

the first sentence confuses me, do you mean the 16 has more "immediacy" than the 21, but the 21 is more welcoming? I am not sure I follow-

Just my mistatement. The 21 has more immediacy and is more welcoming.

Didn't mean to sew confusion ....

No, not yet, I need to prove to people here that it works!

Mark depending on the cost, I would be interested to hop in a pool of buyers.

Guy, I am insanely jealous. Waiting for my WATE since mid January. My dealer seems last in line and that means so am I.

Guest guy_mancuso

Sorry Alan, I just got lucky. Every once in a while a dog will get a bone. Look around , todays Friday some have might of hit the states today or Monday, Call Sean at Camera West

Guest guy_mancuso
Mark depending on the cost, I would be interested to hop in a pool of buyers.

I'm in also

It's interesting to see how little difference there is between 16 and 18mm... I think I would have settled for a 16mm lens and be done with it.

I agree with you, Mark. Comparing the three focal distances of the WATE the differences are only minor compared to the size and weight of this lens. I think I'll wait until Leica can offer a fast 16mm lens and continue enjoying my 16 mm Voigtlaender.

Guy, thanks for these nice samples.

Guest guy_mancuso

Thanks try to get out and play with it some more. Did some stupid shots i may have to take back the sharpness comment. This is better than i orginally thought and f4 is extremely good. Leica lenses are just so good wide open it still amazes me