Sign in to follow this  
skinnfell

24mm viewfinder difference?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am looking for a viewfinder for my 24mm.

My question is simple:

Are there any optical differences between the current metal viewfinder (nr.12026) and the previous plastic viewfinder (nr.12019)?

Have googled, but not found any side-by-side comparisons between these. The plastic version is readily available for a reasonably good price.

Thanks for any input.

Most definitively, there are differences, luckily.

I did not find the old plastic finder very commendabe (dim and small) and preferred the CV 25mm brightline.

Alexander

P.S.: To be sure: the new Leica finder is nicer than the CV.

Edited by xalo
p.s.

I have the 18696 viewfinder (for D-Lux) for my Elmar and it's alright (more than fine if you're on a budget). Rumor is that it that the metal finder and this one are identical in optics (LFI quoted often).

I have the 18696 viewfinder (for D-Lux) for my Elmar and it's alright (more than fine if you're on a budget). Rumor is that it that the metal finder and this one are identical in optics (LFI quoted often).

My eyes could not see any optical difference in a side by side comparison, same view out to the corners and same exact frameline. The foot is slightly different being a little simpler design on the 18696 and of course a plastic body rather than metal.

I also have both a 24mm Leica and Voigtländer 25mm finder, both plastic, and agree the Voigtländer is brighter and tougher. The extra mm makes no difference. Also check out Zeiss. Quality is excellent. (I have the 21mm but they also make 25mm).

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I had the plastic Leica VF (on the left below) but sold it when I bought the metal version. I agree with xalo and David above that the CV finder is brighter and easier to use. However I actually use the all-metal Panasonic DMW-VF1 which is both better and cheaper than them all.

Thanks, Peter, nice comparison.

I just wonder how many versions of the CV 25mm finder are out there... From the pics it looks as if the foot of yours was not set off, but in axis with the finder's optics. The CV brightline finder I own has an off-set foot, which helps to compensate somewhat for parallax on most M-mount bodies (with the accessory shoe sitting to the right of the lens). The non-brightline 25mm finder, which came with the snapshot skopar, has a centred foot as yours seems to do.

Now, the real-world difference may be small, but for the M (and I still mean the film cameras), I prefer a finder that sits as close as possible to the lens axis. The D-Lux finder and its siblings are centred, since the camera's shoe is directly above the lens (on the Minolta CLE as well, btw). FWIW.

Alexander

Thanks for the answers. I have the CV finder currently and I hate it so much that I several times considering selling the lens altogether. Although bright, it is very blurry in the edges unless I squeeze my eyeball into the finder. I also wear glasses. Also it is not very accurate, even considering it was made for a 25 not a 24.

BTW my CV finder has an offset foot and brightlines.

But I guess if the Leica is not much better, then thats a thousand dollars saved on my part. (yes, thats what it cost here in norway).

If the CV is not acceptable (and I agree, it's not sharp edge to edge, and it distorts somewhat) you may want to look for a Zeiss. As David suggested, they are stunning, real panorama windows (unfortunately also about that size, when sitting atop an M;)). Roughly, EUR 420 here in Paris. The 25 also has 28mm framelines. Talking about it, I was almost about to get hooked myself and googled... there might be one here. I will not take it, however.

Alexander

I also have both a 24mm Leica and Voigtländer 25mm finder, both plastic, and agree the Voigtländer is brighter and tougher. The extra mm makes no difference. Also check out Zeiss. Quality is excellent. (I have the 21mm but they also make 25mm).

+ 1 for the Voigtländer 25mm finder with the Leica 24mm. It's fine for my purposes.

I use a Zeiss 25 finder, it is by far the best of the three I've owned. The VC plastic finder is also ok, the old Leica plastic finder is not.

Posted (edited)

And what is the difference between the 24mm 12019  viewfinder

and the 24mm 18696  viewfinder - this latter is a look-alike of the metal housed viewfinders. I would say the form factor is more classical.

I have two VC viewfinders (15mm and 21 mm) and I do not like their quality so I need something a lot better.

Edited by Alberti

The latter is metal, the former plastic? What are you asking (2012 thread)?

Now Leica have dropped their 24mm lenses there may be some good offers around if you need one.

26 minutes ago, Alberti said:

And what is the fifference of the 24mm 12019  viewfinder

Posted (edited)

I know I resurrected an old thread 🙂

Both are plastic (I asked some ebay vendors). 

I have bought this one:  Leica M Viewfinder for 21 / 24 / 28mm #  12014. I has multiple framelines and is less 'obtrusive' than the Frankenfinder, while still pretty universal.

Edited by Alberti

44 minutes ago, Alberti said:

I know I resurrected an old thread 🙂

Both are plastic (I asked some ebay vendors). 

I also saw a round turret one:  Leica M Viewfinder for 21 / 24 / 28mm #  12014

IAfter talking with a vendor I understand some finders are only for the cropped digital camera's (M8, X1) i.e. not usefull for a M body full frame

OK. I have a late metal finder in silver that looks very similar in profile to your second one. It has two framelines - one for 'full-frame' and an inner set to suite the M8 crop. I doubt any were made just for the M8 sensor size.

If you look here there is a mix https://www.ffordes.com/search/24mm viewfinder        The plastic and metal versions are obvious from price.

I sent back the 12014. Not accurate and a pain for those wearing glasses. Worse than looking at the edges of the M240 viewfinder!

Not wanting to forgo the Frankenfinder (what a name) I swapped for a 12026. [Plastic is OK but it is a present  . . ]

By the way I also saw finders that show 24mm AND the 35mm frameline Leica Viewfinder 24mm 18696 with Frame for 35mm and 24mm new and @ € 99 cheap.

While everywhere the Internet Sales laws apply (in Holland and in the EU) such that with (an even non--described) shortcoming, all costs are refunded. However my vendor from Austria - Photo Alps / Arsenal - did not refund the original parcel and postage when I decided to return & choose the 12026. Bad Bad. I did not buy through Ebay (this gives him a 10% higher margin) but got a worse buying experience through his own site. Like said, bad bad.

Ok. That said. What is really wrong with the round 12014? Impossible to see the sides even with glasses off - the M240 viewfinder is better even. A great problem is that the 24mm 'image' is sharp; but moving to 21mm or 28 mm, the 'image' gets out of focus. So there is some shift. This makes it very hard to use.