Summicron-M 50/2 vs Noctilux-M 50/1

sveinp

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I really need some advise here :) I have come across a used but mint Noct 1.0 for my M9-P and consider buying it. I am not sure if this could replace my 50 Cron in daily/overall use. I know the superb IQ from the Noct, but I also realize it's weight and rather bulky attributes. I consider keeping the Cron alongside the Noct but I don't know if I "need to", besides it is of course also a financial issue... I really enjoy the 50 Cron - IQ and handy size/weight (and as a good supplement for a 35 Cron ASPH...). Will I be satisfied with the combo Noct 50 - 35 Cron?

I never used a Noctilux though from what I learned here you should be aware of focus shift with the former f/1-version of this lens. This means that you might have difficulties to focus exactly when you stop down appoximately until f/5.6. May be this will be no problem as you intend to use it only fully opened;).

Though then you should be prepared for a rather soft lens with a lot of vignetting.

Things might be easier with the Summicron.

The 1.0 Nocti has better flare suppression than the cron, which may yield some remarcable results even on aperture 8: in high contrast situations, the scenery cry out for the Nocti.

Then again, the Nocti has blurred ultimate corners, so be prepared to crop it a bit, if you use it for landscapes.

If you dont expect high contrast, and aperture 2.8 and on is OK, weight cnsiderations may point to the cron.

I would keep both.

Hello,

Many years of using Noctilux 1.0, I would not qualify it as universal M lens.

But the photographs from this lens has something that no lens can compare.

It's difficult to use wide open but possible from 2 meters and more, I have never seen focus shift.

Give it a try and you can compare it with the Summicron.

I use also some 50mm from Elmar (it's very anti-Noctilux in size and ease of use), Summilux, Summicron, even a Summarit and Summar.

Each lens has it's own character and none is universal.

Arnaud