Leica engraving font or artwork

If you refer to the classic Leica engraving used for decades on top (and front too, on some old Barnacks) I doubt it is based on a complete font set. Of course it is easy to reproduce from any engraver (any jeweler can do it, for example) but to deduce from it the other characters would need really an expert with skill and a bit of "controlled" fantasy (and WE HAVE SUCH A PEOPLE IN THE FORUM...:cool: ... well known and active though a bit "old" ;))

Edited by luigi bertolotti

which one is classic?

Leica / Ernst Leitz Wetzlar Lenses - MIR Image Library

Kind regards

Thomas

Imho, the ENGRAVED one, with no significant variations on thickness, which would complicate a lot the design/styling of the other characters.... :cool:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks for the input.

It is the classic simple line engraving I am looking for, like this MP 2003 engraving that is the one I also got made on my Leica M9 in 2009.

I got an e-mail to a wizard that might be able to help, one of those in a white kilt they are hiding in a corner ...

I will let you know on the results, but please keep any ideas coming ... In any case I find the graphic design based on classic Leica styling interesting on many levels.

The classic Leica is not a font (typeface). A typeface is a complete character set. Never seen one like Leica's script. If you find one, I'll eat my hat.

(If Apple did one thing I regret for all time it is the word 'font' when the proper term is 'typeface' and 'font' refers to a subset of the typeface.)

Thanks for the input.

It is the classic simple line engraving I am looking for, like this MP 2003 engraving that is the one I also got made on my Leica M9 in 2009.

I got an e-mail to a wizard that might be able to help, one of those in a white kilt they are hiding in a corner ...

I will let you know on the results, but please keep any ideas coming ... In any case I find the graphic design based on classic Leica styling interesting on many levels.

My take on it is that this Leica logo is composed of 2 parts:

- The "L" which is hand drawn

- The letters "eica" which might have been lifted from an existing cursive font

Creating a new typeface based on "eica" is pretty straight forward, however the "L" does represent a challenge and the alphabet would need a designer specialized in typeface production.

In summary, you can easily create a new typeface based on the lower case letters and for the upper case a la "L", the typeface would have to be hand drawn.

My recommendation is to contact any of the Typeface companies and ask for a quote or find a friendly Design studio to do it for you.

Good luck.

• Like 1

... the classic Leica engraving used for decades on top (and front too, on some old Barnacks)
:confused:

I only know one Leica with this clasic engraving on the front -

quiz @all: Who knows to name the model?:rolleyes:

Luigi, do You have pictures or links of old Barnacks with engravinig on the front?

thanks

Thomas

Luigi, do You have pictures or links of old Barnacks with engravinig on the front?

thanks

Thomas

Sorry, duckrider, you're right (even if IT had some variants...)... I used the term "old Barnacks" in a rather generic sense... as you know, IT is not SO old... ;) (but let someone else to identify it.... :p)

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 1

The best route to go is to take a picture of the actual artwork , then scan it and have a pattern made by any laser shop.Then you need an engraving machine like an old Deckel and copy the pattern onto the actual object that needs to be engraved. The trick is to have cutter angle on par with the original engraving.

Strictly speaking I doubt this is a font as we use the term. It looks like the standard minuscle handwriting as taught in European schools in the first half of the 20th century. You are probably best off to look in Calligraphy sites.

thanks

Thomas

This one ?

Edited by jc_braconi
  • Like 2

Strictly speaking I doubt this is a font as we use the term. It looks like the standard minuscle handwriting as taught in European schools in the first half of the 20th century. You are probably best off to look in Calligraphy sites.

It might be a font, at least the lower case letters. Notice how each letter just ends at the same place on the right hand side (roughly 4 o'clock). I have seen TT fonts which are meant to mimic script with this property. Unfortunately, none of those look like Leica's.

Edited by pop

....also in the first (:o) years of 2nd half.... the "L" of my signature has always remained "clean" as in those times... (and I learned it much more years before knowing the "Leica" writing) :cool:

• Like 1