strange giants in a primeval oak forrest

Iduna

Advertisement (gone after registration)

this was a trip to an primeval oak forrest called "Reinhardswald" being situated in a corner of 3 states Nordrhein-Westfalen, Hessen, Niedersachsen. Several hiking trails partly on wooden planks are leading through a unique, protected treasure of 200 acres of oak tree forrest. This place will be revisited when the foliage will be gone.

The Elmarit 60 mm macro lens was mounted on a tripod, with a lens stop about 8 and a low shutterspeed approx. from 1/25 - 0/08 at 100 ISO. Theese trees are so big and spacious that one has to work with a stopped down lens to get a good depth of field.

I hope it to be pleasant walk and thanks for taking time and viewing.

[ATTACH]339614[/ATTACH]

a cathedral like appearance

[ATTACH]339616[/ATTACH]

this whole seemed to be quite eerie, could have served for anything. The roots are shaped like an elephant's foot.

[ATTACH]339617[/ATTACH]

a trunk blocking the way

[ATTACH]339618[/ATTACH]

like mammoth's tooth

[ATTACH]339619[/ATTACH]

here a lighning struck and the black smoked bark is still recognizable

• Like 2

Hi Iduna,

Those are great shots of some amazing trees.

Many years ago I visited the Reinhardswald from nearby Göttingen where I studied.

You also find old "Eichen-" and "Buchenwälder" in the Solling forest.

One such tree is the "Frühstückseiche".

http://www.heinz-jürgen-schymura.de/index.php?Auswahl=GebieteThemen&RundStrecke=Rund&GebietThema=Weserbergland&Tour=009

Nearby was the "Frühstücksbuche" that eventually collapsed.

http://www.nw-news.de/lokale_news/hoexter/hoexter/6606380_Sich_eins_fuehlen_mit_der_Natur.html

Thanks.

Edited by k-hawinkler

K.-H.,

thank you very much for your nice feedback. Your information will be noted for our next trip. In fact we passed the "Solling" and visited a deserted "Forsthaus" and we took a route to theses hills before we arrived at our destination. Indeed, the "Solling" is being worthwhile being visited separately.

Stuart,

thanks for walking the trail and giving a nice feedback,

Paul,

thanks for taking time for the walk as well and acknowledgement of thecompositions. This was indeed the main difficulty and we were in a hurry which is not an adequate attitude towards these trees

Everybody who clicked the thx-button, thank youi.

K.-H.,

thank you very much for your nice feedback. Your information will be noted for our next trip. In fact we passed the "Solling" and visited a deserted "Forsthaus" and we took a route to theses hills before we arrived at our destination. Indeed, the "Solling" is being worthwhile being visited separately.

Hi Iduna,

You are welcome.

As a teenager I used to jog in the Solling on weekends for hours on end.

On hikes with my grandmother, she never failed to find the herd of Mufflons.

They were introduced there from Korsika some tome ago.

Im Solling - Wandern im Wald - Teutoburger Wald und Weserbergland - Wald, Natur- und Freizeitf

There are also groups of Wildschweine. If surprised, they may attack rather than take flight, particularly if they have young ones.

Also, in the spring, if you know where to look for them (a few hundred meters north of the Steinkrug for example), one can find in Buchenwäldern patches of wild Maiglöckchen, Schneeglöckchen, Veilchen, and Schlüsselblümchen.

Enjoy.

K.-H.,

what a nice entertaining conversation. I take all your advice carefully, specially the wild boar with young ones. The assembly of nice and now even rare, I'm afraid,

types of blossoms will be promising and planned for spring time. Carrying the tripod will be a light burden in favour of getting nice pictures and breathing fresh air. Thanks for all your effort providing links etc.

• Like 1