Focus problem - lens or camera?

SGreenberg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm shooting an M9 with 28mm Skopar, 35mm Summarit and 50mm Summicron lenses. The shorter two lenses focus perfectly. When the 50mm lens is at infinity there's not perfect overlap on the focus patch. I've tried this at very long distances, still the same problem. Pictures themselves are in perfect focus, thankfully. Is this a lens repair or could it still be the camera?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Welcome to the forum !!!

There are a pair of infos not so clear in your question :

1) how is the RF patch when you set the other two to infinity ?

2) how the Summicron behaves at shorter distances ?

If 1) is "ok", I'd say that is the Summicron to need adjustement and moreover if ( 2) ) it doesn't focus correctly at 1-3 meters or so.

If the RF patch does not align at infinity with all the lenses, is surely the camera that needs adjustement... Skopar and Summarit are wideangles with no great apertures, and Depth of field can give a rather good focusing even at short distances, as you observe.

Edited by luigi bertolotti

The problem of image overlapping at infinite is more common than one could imagine.

Ok, you should make a test.

Set aperture wide open

Set your lens to focus at infinity and take a pic of a very distant object.

Than rotate a little backward the focus ring. One half of a millimeter and take another pic

Repeat the test rotating another half of a millimeter

Write down which focus set perfectly overlap the image at infinite

Repeat the experiment with something closer, about a couple of meters.

Now set a perfect focus in the finder, than a very little front and a very little back focused

Now look at your pictures.

Which is perfectly focused?

If the focus is quite off, ok, you need to send your lens to Leica for fixing it.

If you have to pixel peep for half an hour to see a little difference, do not bother your lenses and go out shooting :)

Ciao

Franco

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It's most likely the lens. But as the two shorter lenses will have more tolerance due to DOF it's not 100%.

When I first got my camera I had one lens that looked like coincidence was perfect and all others were off. It turned out that the patch was a tiny tiny bit off on the first lens as well but it was so close as to be difficult to tell, even with my near perfect eyesight. After body calibration they were all perfect.

Personally I'd send the body and two Leica lenses in if you have any warranty left.

Gordon